PDA

View Full Version : The radio come through my practice amp

grungeiceman
February 8th, 2007, 09:45 PM
The radio come through my practice amp, the problem only happened after I blew the amp playign a old, electric guitar my grandpa gave me from the late 40's. I replaced the fuse, not exactly sure its the right kind of fuse just stuck on in there that fit. but its really anoying yet funny any one know a quike fix becuase if im going to have to put money on it il keep it like that.

ted s
February 9th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Ice, better check the current rating on the old fuse and match the new one else potentially your problems are going to be alot worse than an NFG amp. Sorry can't help with the real problem. Granpa's guitar sounds cool, tell us more about that.

Plank_Spanker
February 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
If you value that amp, don't power it up until you replace the fuse with one of the currect rating. Fuses are there to protect the circuitry, and installing the wrong fuse (particularly with a higher rating) can do evil things to your amp. Amps don't smell good when they cook.

For your radio problem - have you tried swapping cords and power outlets?

NPauly
February 10th, 2007, 01:26 AM
You could also try installing a ferrite choke on your amp's power cable. The radio noise is sometimes caused by RF interference picked-up by the amp's power cable. The ferrite choke works as a filter for this RF interference so that it never reaches the inside of your amp.

-- Radio Shack: Ferrite Choke
http://www.radioshack.com/sm-snap-together-ferrite-choke-core--pi-2103222.html

Just snap the choke around the cable just before the the plug that goes into the back of the amp.

I have also heard of people recommending that you also put a choke on your guitar cable, but I'm not sure this won't have an effect on tone, so I haven't ever tried it.

It can also help lessen and sometimes even eliminate hum in tube amps with a reverb circuit if you place one on the cable that plugs into the reverb tank.

And just to help stress the point -- you must use the correct fuse or risk frying you amp.

Hope this helps ...