PDA

View Full Version : Booster or Volume Pedal?

elavd
February 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM
When I play live with my band I use many stomp boxes.

The problem is that in some songs I feel the need of boosting the volume of my signal in order to play a solo (either with an overdriven sound or clean...)

If I set the amp volume at a standard level that is loud enough for soloing, then I have problem when playing rhythm because my signal is too loud and vice versa...

What do you think as the best solution for that:
1) a booster pedal ?
2) a volume pedal ?

Big K
February 11th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I would suggest booster pedal due to the fact that the volume pedal is hard to get to the same setting by feel after the period of increased volume is completed... check this out:

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-32.php

Robert
February 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Yep, a volume pedal is more for making volume swells or turning the volume down a bit. For a volume boost, get a boost pedal like what I have. For leads, it might also work with an OD/Distortion pedal with the volume knob maxed and gain turned down a bit. It will color your tone though.

elavd
February 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I would like clean (not overdriven boost)...

Big K
February 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM
right here.........

http://www.bbesound.com/products/stomp_boxes/BoostaGrande/index.asp

elavd
February 12th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Thanks Big K ;)

I think that maybe a booster is the best solution for my case...

Does anyone has any schematic of a clean booster pedal in order to build it by myself?

Spudman
February 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Another option for a clean boost.

I have the Behringer Boost/Preamp pedal. I've had it for several months and haven't hooked it up. I was thinking that I would not open it and just sell it as new. I've been pretty happy with my guitar sounds...until now. Robert, you have me very curious now.

I got mine for $20 new from Music 123.

Report to follow...

sunvalleylaw
May 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Another option for a clean boost.

I have the Behringer Boost/Preamp pedal. I've had it for several months and haven't hooked it up. I was thinking that I would not open it and just sell it as new. I've been pretty happy with my guitar sounds...until now. Robert, you have me very curious now.

I got mine for $20 new from Music 123.

Report to follow...

Spud, thanks to your help, I ended up with the same pedal. Like you have said, it is a nice, versatile addition to the chain, and a great deal. But, what do you say?

tremoloman
May 26th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Is there some sort of device that can monitor your volume and maintain the same volume between distortion and clean sounds?

I seem to have issues with this at least once or twice a gig. I'm sure switching guitars that have different pickups in them doesn't help but there's got to be an easier way than having 2 identical guitars.

Spudman
May 26th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Trem
There are so many options for what you are after that it's almost hard to even start a description for any of them. Because the nature of a distorted amp is so different than a clean amp the best that you can do is to just turn your dirty channel up louder than you think it should be as compared to the clean channel

The clean is always going to shine through because it's got headroom and definition. You can't get that from a full on distortion. You'll get compression, harmonics, and smoothness which is all good. It's the 'perception' of loudness on a distortion that fools us into thinking that it's louder than it really is.

In this case your best friend is your guitar's volume knob...or just don't be so anal.;)

Sunny boy
I love having a clean boost now. Many thanks to Robert for his post. It can be used in a few different ways, maybe even a benefit to what Trem is looking to solve. However, I just leave mine on, set flat tone wise (unless I need a change), and have just a bit of boost so that my guitar sounds fuller and more alive all the time. I put mine late in the chain to make up for signal loss.