PDA

View Full Version : Rats!

Big_Rob
February 11th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I finally got my new locking tuners and they fit perfectly. So anyhow, since I needed to change the strings anyways, I got the brilliant idea of putting on 10s on a guitar that was set up for 9s.

Messed the set up alllllll up! The bridge is like 3/4 of an inch off the body, The stings are way up high. GRRRRRRR!!!

I hope my setup guy is werkin tomorrow :eek:

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I feel your pain. I hate when a project goes wrong, esp. over the weekend when you have to wait for everyone to get back to work to fix it.

Spudman
February 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Rob
Just loosen all your strings 2 complete turns then remove the tremolo plastic plate on the back of the guitar and tighten the two screws that attach the claw to the body 2 complete turns. Next, re-tune the guitar and see where the bridge is now.

You can continue doing this in smaller increments as the bridge starts to level out until it's exactly where you want it to be. It's easy to do and free.

Mark
February 11th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Spud's right plus its really a good idea and rewarding to learn how to setup your guitars. Some really good books on the subject and websites as well. Dan Erhlwine's books are great resources for workin on you gitfiddles!:DR

Tim
February 11th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Rob
Just loosen all your strings 2 complete turns then remove the tremolo plastic plate on the back of the guitar and tighten the two screws that attach the claw to the body 2 complete turns. Next, re-tune the guitar and see where the bridge is now.

You can continue doing this in smaller increments as the bridge starts to level out until it's exactly where you want it to be. It's easy to do and free.

Spuds - Are you stating that tightening the two screws on the claw has an impact on the bridge height? Presently on my strat I have the claw sitting up against the wood (bottomed out). I never hear or read this anywhere so far.

fendermojoman
February 12th, 2007, 10:19 AM
I learned the "hard way" about setting up your Axe for a certain guage string and then moving to a larger guage. It causes lots of probs . . . . I got where I like D'Addario (pink label) 9.5 - 46's on my 4 electrics and I stick to them. I also have the Planet Waves locking tuners. With this combo I can re-string in a matter of minutes! It just makes life easier! ;) ;) ;)

Lev
February 12th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Spuds - Are you stating that tightening the two screws on the claw has an impact on the bridge height? Presently on my strat I have the claw sitting up against the wood (bottomed out). I never hear or read this anywhere so far.

that's correct - you should be aiming to neutralize the extra tension caused by the heavier gauge strings by tightening the springs in the back cavity.

Most people set their bridge at a slight angle, if the screws are all the way in your bridge is more than likely flush with the body of the guitar. Some players like this, I prefer a slight angle on the bridge it gives a looser feel on the strings also for bending.

Fender have some good documentation on their website on how to set this up. Check out the Tremolo section here: http://www.fender.com/support/setup/stratsetup.php

fendermojoman
February 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM
that's correct - you should be aiming to neutralize the extra tension caused by the heavier gauge strings by tightening the springs in the back cavity.

Most people set their bridge at a slight angle, if the screws are all the way in your bridge is more than likely flush with the body of the guitar. Some players like this, I prefer a slight angle on the bridge it gives a looser feel on the strings also for bending.

Fender have some good documentation on their website on how to set this up. Check out the Tremolo section here: http://www.fender.com/support/setup/stratsetup.php

Lev- Good reply! I follow this closely and it works. My claw is also at a slight angle

Tim
February 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Lev – I linked to the Fender web page and read the setup procedure.

Since I am kind of new to tinkering with setup and such, I am not sure which bridge I have. There seems to be four. I am very positive I do not have the “hardtail”.

The following is from the set-up Fender web page:

Tremolo

Stratocasters can be found with four distinctive types of bridges. The most well known bridge is the vintage style "synchronized" tremolo. The other three are the American Standard bridge, which is a modern-day two-pivot bridge, the non-tremolo hardtail bridge, and the locking tremolo such as the American Deluxe or Floyd Rose® locking tremolos. If you have a non-tremolo "hardtail" bridge, proceed to Intonation (Roughing it out).

Thanks!

Big_Rob
February 13th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Lev – I linked to the Fender web page and read the setup procedure.

Since I am kind of new to tinkering with setup and such, I am not sure which bridge I have. There seems to be four. I am very positive I do not have the “hardtail”.

The following is from the set-up Fender web page:

Tremolo

Stratocasters can be found with four distinctive types of bridges. The most well known bridge is the vintage style "synchronized" tremolo. The other three are the American Standard bridge, which is a modern-day two-pivot bridge, the non-tremolo hardtail bridge, and the locking tremolo such as the American Deluxe or Floyd Rose® locking tremolos. If you have a non-tremolo "hardtail" bridge, proceed to Intonation (Roughing it out).

Thanks!

The Vintage style has 6 screws
http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com/images/allparts_vintage_strat_bridge.jpg

American Standard has 2 screws
http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/images/bridges/american_standard_trem.jpg

The Floyd Rose locking has locks on the nut and fine tuners on the trem
http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com/images/allparts_floyd_bridge_sb_0255-010.jpg

marnold
February 13th, 2007, 04:12 PM
The new Squier Standards also have a two-point tremolo except it uses allen-head screws instead of philips.

ShortBuSX
February 13th, 2007, 05:27 PM
The new Squier Standards also have a two-point tremolo except it uses allen-head screws instead of philips.

My Squier has a 2 point similar to the American Standard but its saddles arent offset.

How hard would it be to mount a Floyd Rose on my Squier Strat? Would it require any body mods to accomodate one? Such as routing?

duhvoodooman
February 13th, 2007, 06:15 PM
How hard would it be to mount a Floyd Rose on my Squier Strat? Would it require any body mods to accomodate one? Such as routing?
You really sure you want to do that? I hear bad things about FR tailpieces sucking tone, esp. on bright sounding guitars, like a Strat. Unless you're into dive bombs and mega-trem bar manipulation, do you really need one?

Spudman
February 13th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I've put a couple of double locking tremolos on some of my guitars and yes it does loose some tone/sound. Those tremolos seem to be best for high gain playing where woodiness is not needed to express yourself.

The 2 point tremolo is a simple and smooth unit. I wouldn't change it, but if using it became a problem I would probably switch tuners for some locking ones. That will have a big impact on tuning stability and wont suck your tone. It's also cheaper than most bridge mods.

The angle of your tremolo bridge does change the height of the strings (saddle height). If you have everything perfectly set and then change the string gauge the bridge is going to move a lot in one direction or the other, and subsequently the string height will change accordingly.

So for bridge set up:

Mostly the 2 point bridges are stable when the bridge plate is parallel to the top of the guitar body. There is also the option to screw the two pivot posts up or down. In my opinion the front of the bridge should be off the body enough to allow unhampered tremolo movement (1/8" or so)

6 Point tremolos are good when the rear floats slightly off the body, allowing upward and downward motion of the bridge. If you don't plan on using the tremolo then tightening the tremolo springs until the back of the bridge rests on the body will allow you to then adjust saddle height and that height will remain constant.

Bridge angle can be adjusted using the springs located in the cavity at the back of the body. Tightening the two screws that attach the claw to the body will pull the back of the bridge toward the body. Loosening those two screws will allow the back of the bridge to rise up off the body.

ShortBuSX
February 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM
No I dont really need one...but being a kid who grew up in the 80s and playing guitar then, Ive always had a thing for FR tremolos(except for the ones you had to cut the ends off of the strings)...I like fine tuners...a locking nut would be nice too(I really dont get the idea of locking tuners). But I hardly use a trem...so no, I dont need one...but I am curious how difficult it would be to install one, would I need to route it out?

Spudman
February 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM
You would have to do some mods (cutting) to the neck at the nut to accommodate the locking nut. And you might have to route the body for the Floyd bridge plate and possibly reposition the pivot studs. They might be the wrong width. It's a serious job to put in a Floyd. If you want to try one then check Rondo Music for their Strat with the Floyd and bridge humbucker. Tremoloman has done a review on one of our threads. Nice guitar, and inexpensive.

Lev
February 14th, 2007, 02:21 AM
I need to ask the reverse question - is it possible to remove a Floyd Rose and replace it with a standard tremolo or vintage tremolo?

I have a Richie Sambora MIM Strat that was my number one guitar for many years, as my taste in music has changed my requirement for a floyd rose has gone. I'd love to put some new pickups in this baby but I'm not sure if there's alot of point in spending $$ if the FR is going to comprimise the overall tone.

Tim
February 14th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Thanks Big John for the pictures of the different types of bridges. I understand the difference now. A picture is worth a thousand works. Three is even better.

Spudman
February 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Lev
If you wont be using the tremolo then just take off the locking nut clamps and screws. It makes drop tuning and string changes much easier.

Big_Rob
February 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I personally dont like FR bridges for the simple fact that I use my bridge to rest my palm as well as palm mute. When ever I put my palm on a FR bridge I get bendy notes.

IMHO "tune-a-matic" bridges rule.

Big_Rob
February 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Well, I got my Strat back yesterday setup correctly with the .10 Chromes on it.

Since I played it, I'm stuck on the .10 Chromes. When I put on the flatwounds I was hoping that it would tone down some of the Strat brightness while retaining the single coil pickup sound. And they did.

I have nothing but positive thoughts on the D'Addario Chromes and can fully recommend them

Tim
February 16th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks Big John for the pictures of the different types of bridges. I understand the difference now. A picture is worth a thousand works. Three is even better.

I ment to say thanks Big Rob. Sorry about the name mix-up.:(

Big_Rob
February 19th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I ment to say thanks Big Rob. Sorry about the name mix-up.:(
No problemo, Ive been called worse :D ;)