PDA

View Full Version : Making A Multi-Layer Recording Track

Tim
February 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Ok Fretters, I am back. All you expert players have frustrated me long enough. I must improve my playing skills. I must learn how to lay down some recording tracks. I figured if I can record myself, I then an see how bad I really am. Plus I will be learning how to make a track to upload on the Fret Net one day.

I need some help in learning the steps to making a track. Can someone explain the steps in making a recording track using Audacity?

I have a CD with drum loops. Can I change drums in the middle of a recording? If so how do I do it? Next, how do you lay down the different tracks?

Now, I have recorded over a backing track, but never tried to double or triple layer a track.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry if this was covered before. I have been asleep at the wheel for awhile.

oldguy
February 11th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Tim, this is only a general overview, but it may help get you started.
First, you go to "project", then "import audio", and "grab" the audio you want (backing track, drum loop, whatever). This creates a new track in the view.
Audacity has a drop down menu, "effect", one of the effects is "repeat".
You can put your drum loop on a track, then use "repeat" to lengthen it to a useable length, EG, a 10 second loop can be made 3, or 5 min, or whatever.
You can make the drum, say, 2 mins. long, the make a new track w/ different drumbeat another 2 mins, in this way you change the drum and have a 4 min. song to work with.
You can then add 1 new track at a time, recording your bass, then guitar, etc., until you have a complete song.
By adding a new track for each instrument, you can adjust the volume of each one independently, and add effects, (reverb, etc.), to them as you go.
This way, you can also erase a track you're not satisfied with and save the others for another take.
As you "build" your song one track at a time, try to record each one at a level where you don't "peg" the meter at the top of the window. You want to record as loud as you can without driving the meter into the red, at 0 dbs.

Another effect is "normalize" in the same drop down menu "effect". This will help keep the volumes of each track even, but it won't "fix" a track recorded too hot that has excessive distortion or hiss.
So, I would suggest....
1. "Import Audio", grab the drum loop you want. "Repeat" , make it as long as you need.
2. "Record" , another track to add to the drum. Bass is a good second track to add.
3. "Record" , another tr. , say, rhythm guitar.
4. "Record , a lead guitar, another rhythm, etc.
Remember to monitor your levels as you add each track, try to keep them clean, with no distortion. Adjust the volumes of each track as you go so the mix sounds good to you, so the drums, bass, etc, don't drown out the other instruments.
You will have several tracks open on the screen at once, and any that you want to scratch you can simply close, and record that part over again. You can also use "mute" to silence that track only, or "solo" to listen to that track only.
Hope this helps, and maybe one of the "expert players" you mentioned will chime in later.:D

ted s
February 11th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I haven't tried audacity, but I might now after Oldguy's great intro lesson !

M29
February 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks oldguy that will help me alot too I am new to Audacity as well.

Do you have any tips on getting more volume or input level from my Shure SM57 mic? It records very low.

Thank you Tim for starting this thread it will help me a lot. Welcome back!

M29

oldguy
February 12th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Thanks oldguy that will help me alot too I am new to Audacity as well.

Do you have any tips on getting more volume or input level from my Shure SM57 mic? It records very low.

Thank you Tim for starting this thread it will help me a lot. Welcome back!

M29

M29...
I just did a quick run-through to check, and you should be able to boost your mic, (vocal track), after it's recorded by highlighting the track (click on the track sidebar at the left), then going to "effect" and using either "amplify" or "normalize". I prefer "normalize" because it sets the track volumes close to the optimum for a mix. You can then fine-tune them w/ the vol. faders in the LH sidebar. You may need to lower the other track volumes when you are recording the vocal so you can hear yourself better. Other than that, if you want to raise the mic volume as you record, I think you would need to run the mic through a preamp to give it more gain. Lowering all other track volumes as you record, so you can hear yourself as you record, would let you get it done w/o the need for a preamp, then run amplify or normalize to boost your vocal track to an acceptable volume. Once all the tracks are mixed to your taste (remember to keep the levels just barely out of the red), you can use the "export as" to save it as WAV, MP3, etc. Or you can use the "save project" option to tweak it later if need be. Hope this is helpful.

I would strongly suggest anyone using Audacity to take some time and read the help topics. It may not answer every question, but it will sure help get you started. The Audacity site will also give links to plug-ins for the mp3 converter, more effects, etc.
Also, a seperate download, "Studio Buddy", gives lots of helpful hints. If I can find the post I grabbed it from, I'll get it on here.

Here's the link. I think this should work, lots of good info here. Thanks, StingX, it was from an old post you gave us.:)

http://dw.com.com/redir?pid=10122113&merid=104436&mfgid=104436&ltype=dl_dlnow&lop=link&edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3040-2170_4-10122113&ontId=2170_4&destUrl=http://www.download.com%2F3001-2170_4-10122113.html

Jimi75
February 12th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Hey Oldguy,

A friend of mine coincidentally downloaded Audacity last weekend. I have copied your introduction and sent it to him.

Here is a big "THANK YOU" to you from one of my friends!

That is a support....

oldguy
February 12th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hey Oldguy,

A friend of mine coincidentally downloaded Audacity last weekend. I have copied your introduction and sent it to him.

Here is a big "THANK YOU" to you from one of my friends!

That is a support....

That is too cool, Jimi!:D I hope it helps your friend, and thank you.

Fingers
March 11th, 2007, 01:45 AM
You want to record as loud as you can without driving the meter into the red, at 0 dbs.

Just as an aside on this, when you try and record as loud as possible.....close to 0db, you will find that you will occasionally get some clipping (distortion), which will affect your sound and could ruin a good take.

This advice was always given in the old analogue days as there were all sorts of noises produced by the old tape machines. The 'floor' noise, therefore, was quite high and you needed your recorded sound to be as loud as possible to get the largest difference between the floor noise and your recorded signal. Analogue recorders also coped better with clipping a signal when it exceeded the 0db threshhold.

With digital recording you don't get a high floor noise from the recorder and they do not handle clipping at all well. In theory you can never get over 0db in digital............it sounds awful with clipped digital signal.

So....my advice is try to record around 12db and give yourself some headroom before you get a clipped signal.

Oh....by floor noise I mean the noises generated by the recorder and not external noises coming in through the mic or the input.

Audacity is great fun..........you are not using tape, you can delete the bits you don't like..............and you won't believe how quickly 2.00 in the morning can come round and you've still got to go to work at 8:)

Beware......it is addictive

Tim
March 11th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all the information. I have writen down all the ideas and suggextions on paper. Aftrer March 31, I will have a lot of time on my hands. I am planning and hoping to dedicate more time to studying the guitar. A project I alway wanted to accomplished. Something on the line of Justaguy

tot_Ou_tard
March 11th, 2007, 08:13 AM
With digital recording you don't get a high floor noise from the recorder and they do not handle clipping at all well. In theory you can never get over 0db in digital............it sounds awful with clipped digital signal.

So....my advice is try to record around 12db and give yourself some headroom before you get a clipped signal.

I'm a wee bit confused. You say that clipping happens above 0db, that digital clipping sounds awful. Also digital noise is lower, so you don't have to record so high to get a good signal to noise ratio. But you advise recording at 12db, do you mean -12db?

I guess that I really don't understand db.

Fingers
March 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I'm a wee bit confused. You say that clipping happens above 0db, that digital clipping sounds awful. Also digital noise is lower, so you don't have to record so high to get a good signal to noise ratio. But you advise recording at 12db, do you mean -12db?

I guess that I really don't understand db.

Sorry.................yer right, slip o' the pen.

-12db is where to aim your sound level...........never think to mention the minus as I live in the digital world where there is no plus when recording.;)