PDA

View Full Version : How did you find TheFret?

Jimi75
February 12th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Hey folks,

how did YOU find the fret?

Here's my chain of the evolution:

1. YouTube search for "Scuttle Buttin'" or was it "Blues Guitar"???
2. That blonde Swedish guy named Robert blew me away with his playing and I liked the way he made his videos.
3. After watching all videos over a time period of 2 weeks or so, I clicked the Dolphinstreet link.
4. From Dolphinstreet I turned to "Da Fret"
5. No I am here and happy!

Sorry if such a thread already exists, but I swear I used the search function *lol*

:DR

oldguy
February 12th, 2007, 06:03 AM
I had ordered JJ tubes from Eurotubes. I had talked to Bob Pletka on the phone and Bob was one of the nicest guys imaginable. Later I began checking out the other links on his website.... check it out here...

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-q.htm .....

and then, where it says something like "tired of chris greenes all hail the king fender forum? Try this Forum!" ... click on it .... and you'll be right back here!!!:D
And I've been a Fret member ever since. And from here I discovered Robert's Dolphinstreet site. Sort of a twist on your story, wouldn't you say, Jimi?:)
BTW, Bob has some other interesting links on his site, especially if you like boutique amp builders.... unfortunately, I can't afford everything I'd like, but I can still look, and dream, (and save for....someday):D

duhvoodooman
February 12th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Somebody on the Patchtronix forum (Vox Valvetronix-oriented site) posted a link to one of Robert's vid clips, because he was playing through an AD50VT. I checked out Robert's site, and followed the links here. Ain't left yet! ;) :D

Lev
February 12th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Hey folks,

2. That blonde Swedish guy named Robert blew me away with his playing and I liked the way he made his videos.
3. After watching all videos over a time period of 2 weeks or so, I clicked the Dolphinstreet link.

Sorry if such a thread already exists, but I swear I used the search function *lol*

As above, except I was searching youtube for Vox AD50vt videos.

ted s
February 12th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Same as Jimi, searching SRV video's, stumbled into Dolphinstreet to here.
Hey Robert, you are the Fret glue !

SuperSwede
February 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I was looking for info on Squier Tele´s, and stumbled across Roberts site. Since he was Swedish I decided to send him a email, and after a few mails he told me about thefret.net.

Robert
February 12th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Great thread, keep em coming guys!

Tim
February 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I got tired of the other “rude” forums that I occasionally visited. I ‘goggled” guitar lesson and found Robert’s Dolphin page. I followed the link to the Fret Net. I have met a great bunch of guys and I have been a happy member ever since. But the question still remains ... where are the lady guitar players? One would think with such nice guys and no vulgarity that the ladies would flock to the Fret Net. Come on ladies, where are you?

warren0728
February 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM
i was personally sought out by robert and asked to join thefret. My understanding is he has some sort of "thing" for pancakes... :D

actually i think i was doing a google search for the vox ad**vt series of amps and thefret.net was in the results....

ww

Robert
February 12th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Hey Warren, I am starting another forum called "Pancake Lovers in the Morning"! you can be the moderator.

Tim, maybe you should start a thread, "guitar forum for females - girls" or something...:) There could be girls lurking around, so I hope all members keep that in mind when posting.

Jimi75
February 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Tim]I got tired of the other “rude” forums that I occasionally visited.

I could write a book about what you tell... in the end I was so frustrated that I didn't even know why I took part in a forum, but then I landed here and everything was totally different from day one on!!!

warren0728
February 12th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Hey Warren, I am starting another forum called "Pancake Lovers in the Morning"! you can be the moderator.

lol now that's funny!

Tim, maybe you should start a thread, "guitar forum for females - girls" or something...:) There could be girls lurking around, so I hope all members keep that in mind when posting.
you know i think we had a couple of girls join...not sure because the screen names were generic but i just had the feeling they were girls. I didn't want to come right out and ask them for fear of making them uneasy...but they weren't active very long.

I know there are a few girls on the gear page but not very many. I too would think this would be one forum where they would feel pretty comfortable...it is pretty tame here.

ww

oldguy
February 12th, 2007, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Tim]I got tired of the other “rude” forums that I occasionally visited.

I could write a book about what you tell... in the end I was so frustrated that I didn't even know why I took part in a forum, but then I landed here and everything was totally different from day one on!!!

I agree 100%. I encountered rudeness, filthy language, no interest in actually talking guitar, etc. on so many other sites, but here it is refreshingly different. TheFret is what it claims to be... the place for guitar and bass.:)
As such, it is growing, and now poor Robert is constantly fighting the spammers! Between this and his Dolphinstreet lessons, I would say he is committed to the cause.:D

Justaguyin_nc
February 12th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I was just starting to get into guitars for the LAST try.. I was either searching out "VOX", "51" or "CHEAP" and I came across Robert's Site and found it very informative and FREE lessons! At that time Robert was just using his own instant message box on DolphinStreet. A very short time later he suggested to all that visited his site to go to the new fret.net... I been learning from him and others here ever since... and enjoying every minute of it.

Big_Rob
February 12th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Hey folks,

Co-signed! execpt I was looking for Love Struck Baby :D

sunvalleylaw
February 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I hadn't participated in forums much before I stumbled upon Dolphinstreet looking for review of the Vox AD50VT. I started asking questions in the small forum that is on Dolphinstreet, and Robert referred me here! Robert strikes yet again!!

EDIT: Reading the other comments, and browsing a few other forums, guess I got REALLY lucky joining this place first! Thanks guys!

Spudman
February 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
How did you find TheFret? Quite pleasant I must say.:D

I was doing a search for "brain surgery by rocket scientists", and lo and behold, this is where I ended up.

Actually:
I was trolling around the web and Google kept showing Dolphin Street. I don't even remember what things I was looking for. Maybe lawnmowers, pancakes, chased by bears while jogging, whisky, I can't remember. I emailed Robert for some reason and he replied quickly and politely and also hinted that I should check out the forum. So I did.

Now I'm conversing with guys that mow their lawns, have a variety of methods for making pancakes, chase bears while jogging, drink whisky and are a lot more interesting to talk to than rocket scientists. What a great place!

Plank_Spanker
February 12th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I had a wild hair one night and googled "guitar discussion boards". One quick perusal and I was in.

Now look...............I'm like a bad nickel...............I keep coming back! :D

Hogfullofblues
February 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Whilst researching aquatic mammalian communication, I googled dolphins tweet. Whether it was a typo, google's AI or just serendipity I'll never know. 2 videos later I was hooked, bought a guitar and clicked this link.
Well, actually I found Dolphin Street in a "free guitar lessons" search, which lead me here. I lurked for a bit until I found the nerve to actually join in. But everyone seemed so knowledgeable and friendly, why not? Turned out to be one of my better decisions for sure.

warren0728
February 12th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Whilst researching aquatic mammalian communication, I googled dolphins tweet. Whether it was a typo, google's AI or just serendipity I'll never know. 2 videos later I was hooked, bought a guitar and clicked this link.
lmao...now that's funny, i don't care who you are!! :D :D

ww

Danzego
February 12th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Like Warren, I was doing a Google search for Vox ADVT amps. Specifically, I was looking for a comparison between the AD30VT and the AD50VT (I wanted to see if I should wait and save money to get an AD50VT, a question that was ultimately answered when I found one on Craigslist for 10 bucks more than a new AD30VT a couple days later :) ).

Anyway, I read around on the forum, liked the "clientele" and their attitude, so I stuck around and post when I can....as in when school doesn't have me tied up by the balls or am slacking on my homework, like I am now. ;)

Oh, and Tim- girls don't exist on the internet; only guys who pretend to be girls. Given enough time, we all find out, but I figured I would give you the heads up. :eek:

marnold
February 12th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Like Danzego, I too was Googling for Valvetronix information and came aross Dolphin Street. It seems like that was just about the time TheFret.Net started.

Spudman
February 12th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Oh, and Tim- girls don't exist on the internet; only guys who pretend to be girls. Given enough time, we all find out, but I figured I would give you the heads up. :eek:

Now THERE'S an idea!

We can all start pretending to be girls so that real girls know that we are sympathetic to them, and that we seriously desire some feminine input. Because, as men we realize that we only see the world of guitar from a male perspective, and for us to feel like the world is really a good place, we have to open our hearts and minds to the feminine perspective of guitar playing. And the only way for us to ever understand is for articulate, sensitive guitar playing women to participate in our discussions. We need their balance and input, and it is the ONLY way for any of us to ever find true fulfilment on thefret.net.

SuperSwede
February 13th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Now THERE'S an idea!

We can all start pretending to be girls so that real girls know that we are sympathetic to them, and that we seriously desire some feminine input. Because, as men we realize that we only see the world of guitar from a male perspective, and for us to feel like the world is really a good place, we have to open our hearts and minds to the feminine perspective of guitar playing. And the only way for us to ever understand is for articulate, sensitive guitar playing women to participate in our discussions. We need their balance and input, and it is the ONLY way for any of us to ever find true fulfilment on thefret.net.

Does this mean that I have to change nick to SuperSweet and post pics of cute little teddybears all the time? And that we should have more discussions of Hello Kitty guitars?

warren0728
February 13th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Does this mean that I have to change nick to SuperSweet and post pics of cute little teddybears all the time? And that we should have more discussions of Hello Kitty guitars?
please......no..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ww

Tim
February 13th, 2007, 05:16 AM
I can image what Warren would be wearing while cooking those pan cakes. Do they make spiked high heels in his size? This is a man who is alone all day by himself, running a business … at least that is what he tells me.

warren0728
February 13th, 2007, 05:42 AM
This is a man who is alone all day by himself, running a business … at least that is what he tells me.
that's my story....and i'm sticking to it! :D (of course i'm not alone after 2:30pm when the kiddos get home from school!!) :eek:

ww

jasongins
February 13th, 2007, 06:01 AM
I had just started out looking on the internet for a guitar to begin on, and saw the '51 for sale. It intrigued me, especially when I watched it drop from $149 to $99. So, I googled "Squier '51 review" and found Robert's video demonstration, and subsequently thefret.net. I promptly ordered a '51. I never bothered or cared to see one in person, I was sold on the Robert's video alone. Squier and Vox owe Robert some sales comissions.

Spudman
February 13th, 2007, 08:12 AM
SuperSweet? Yes, that is purrfect. Hello Kitty is a must. And as long as Warren wears Prada we should be able to swing the fret.net from it's male ego dominated guitar wanky state to one of more sophistication and sensitivity with more concern for peoples feelings than their gear list. Viva le' femme.

elavd
February 13th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I was searching on YouTube for Squier videos and I was astonished when I saw Robert's video playing with his Squier Strat (with the CS54 pups...)

This video led me to the other ones ==>
the other ones led me to his profile==>
his profile led me to his site ==>
his site made me visit a guitar e-shop and buy a Squire 51 immediately (after hearing his TONE!) :D==>
and after that I ended up here!!!

Thanks Robert for your forum ;)

Elias

fendermojoman
February 13th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I found it on You Tube with a Robert Renman clip that
led me to his website.:) :) :cool:

Robert
April 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Anyone else want to chime in here who hasn't yet?

Just a brief history lesson - Tremoloman emailed me back when dinosaurs roamed Canada, and said he wished there was a good and friendly forum for guys like us. There rest, as they say, is history.

Thank you all you guitar geeks who make this place the best guitar forum in the Universe! (Am I right regarding location, t0t? Maybe there are other inter-galactical guitar forums that really rock?)

Kazz
April 22nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Ok...I'll bite....I was a member of the Washburn Forum....made some friends over there and some of them decided to leave :-) After some time I got an email from Muddy.....Mr. Mudcat to most of ya......saying I should come check out this quiet little place called www.thefret.net liked it so much I stuck around.

mcgreggor57
April 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Also a member of the Washburn Forum and followed a link in someone's post,

Rocket
April 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
How did you find TheFret?
Turned left exiting WAG forum offramp!

Blaze
April 22nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Lookin for Blues Jazz licks on Youtube ,i found this Swedish Nerd Lookin Guy that was playin awesome then registered to DolphinStreet ,
chated with Robert who intoduced me to the his Fretnet forum..
Shure is a nice one ..:beer:

mrmudcat
April 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Turned left exiting WAG forum offramp!

:rotflmao: :bravo: :beer:

tot_Ou_tard
April 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Somebody on the Patchtronix forum (Vox Valvetronix-oriented site) posted a link to one of Robert's vid clips, because he was playing through an AD50VT. I checked out Robert's site, and followed the links here. Ain't left yet! ;) :D Vood did you post the link to The Fret on Patchtronix?

I got here about the same time as Vood through Patchtronix, but it wasn't until later that I visited Dolphinstreet.

Childbride
April 22nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
just came on as a woman seeking to open your hearts and minds to the feminine perspective of guitar playing... as a sensitive guitar playing woman to participate in your discussions...

or something. :D :D :D

=====

strummy came along, in the maelstrom of the former admin issues on the w, and said

'check this out'...

we did. :)

street music
April 22nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
I too was one of those great followers of those who left the WASHBURN forum. I kept hearing how great The Fret was and I must say that never looked back. So many came over and it just kept getting better and I must say, feels like family on here.:bravo:

mrmudcat
April 22nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
This place had it going on.....long before the revolution:beer:

Hopefully we all will make each other better!!

I know thefret.net has made me a betterperson all the way around!

Rocket
April 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Take 2:

How did YOU find the fret?
Somewhat cliquish, annoyingly obstinate, over-moderated, underfunded, lopsided... obviously tolerant (as I haven't been banned (yet),)
all-in-all, stronger than most.

tot_Ou_tard
April 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Take 2:

Somewhat cliquish, annoyingly obstinate, over-moderated, underfunded, lopsided... obviously tolerant (as I haven't been banned (yet),)
:rotflmao::rotflmao:

Robert
April 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Take 2:

That's it. You're now banned.

Just kidding. :D

Brian Krashpad
April 23rd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Haha, oh you kids.

I honestly have no idea, but iirc I was sussed to the fret by someone already here; my best bet would be Kerc since I know him from a couple other forums.

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Found Robert on youtube many months ago. We began email chats, I bought his 2 DVD instructional set and I FINALLY joined theFret abt a week ago. I'm not much of a "joiner", but I'm glad to be here!

Robert is THE man!

tot_Ou_tard
April 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Robert is THE man!
In every sense of the phrase. ;)

just strum
April 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
just came on as a woman seeking to open your hearts and minds to the feminine perspective of guitar playing... as a sensitive guitar playing woman to participate in your discussions...

or something. :D :D :D

=====

strummy came along, in the maelstrom of the former admin issues on the w, and said

'check this out'...

we did. :)

I went to Dolphinstreet on the recommendation of Guitar Gal and then linked to here. I told some people at the Washburn and then did my best to distance myself from Rocket. I don't need any help getting banned, there are some things I can do myself.

I told CB about the place, not realizing that she would drag Shiner along - I apologize for that oversight.

luvmyshiner
April 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
I told CB about the place, not realizing that she would drag Shiner along - I apologize for that oversight.

Ain't no way she's gettin' rid of me. I'm like the "herpes" of husbands . . . I keep coming back.:messedup:

markb
April 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
I think I arrived here as the result of a Google search for Squier '51 info.

KrisH
April 23rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Trotted over as part of the WAG exodus.

sumitomo
April 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
googled blues guitar licks dolphinstreet then here. Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
April 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Ain't no way she's gettin' rid of me. I'm like the "herpes" of husbands . . . I keep coming back.:messedup:
Time for the tractor photo....

bigoldron
April 23rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Ok...I'll bite....I was a member of the Washburn Forum....made some friends over there and some of them decided to leave :-) After some time I got an email from Muddy.....Mr. Mudcat to most of ya......saying I should come check out this quiet little place called www.thefret.net liked it so much I stuck around.

Same here. My good friend Muddy invited me. The Washburn forum had gone down the tubes, so I came over here. Glad I did! :bravo: :AOK:

Rocket
April 23rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Ain't no way she's gettin' rid of me. I'm like the "herpes" of husbands . . . I keep coming back.
Isn't that an OJ quote?
Sounds like the mating call of a rabid future-stalker!

tjcurtin1
April 24th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Found Dolphin Street while searching for reviews of the Squire Telecaster. As I'm not much of a joiner and had never done forums, it took me a while to follow Robert's suggestion there to check out the Fret. The warm welcome from the group here made me feel at home - thanks, everyone!

wingsdad
April 25th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Led to check 'er out at Strummy's suggestion, I, too, am among the tidal wave of disenchanted Washouts that crashed this party in latter '07. As I recall, that sudden mass influx of wayfarers momentarily struck a tinge of fear into the hearts of the resident elders....

just strum
April 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Time for the tractor photo....

Required anti-tractor photo

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/beer_girls.jpg

bigoldron
April 25th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Led to check 'er out at Strummy's suggestion, I, too, am among the tidal wave of disenchanted Washouts that crashed this party in latter '07. As I recall, that sudden mass influx of wayfarers momentarily struck a tinge of fear into the hearts of the resident elders....

I think they're STILL afraid of us... :D

luvmyshiner
April 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I think they're STILL afraid of us... :D

Let's scare 'em a little more Ron. . .

NEKED TRACTOR DUDE!!!

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/20060920174509990046.jpg

Now hesh up or I'll break out neked computer dude.:messedup:

oldguy
April 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_115487962c056c9d.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=570)

Katastrophe
April 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I came to TheFret by way of stumbling onto Dolphinstreet. I posted a theory question on the Dolphinstreet forums, and Robert pointed me here.

tot_Ou_tard
April 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Let's scare 'em a little more Ron. . .

NEKED TRACTOR DUDE!!!

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/20060920174509990046.jpg

Now hesh up or I'll break out neked computer dude.:messedup:

No, no, not the computer dude sez Br'er Rabbit.

Rocket
April 26th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Don't make me bust out "The Texan"!

tot_Ou_tard
April 26th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Don't make me bust out "The Texan"!
Hopefully he'll secede from the Union prior to that.

sunvalleylaw
April 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I posted earlier in this thread, but that is long buried, so in short, I was a complete newb, having had few months of lessons on my acoustic, and looking at electric gear. I searched for Vox AD50 info, found dolphinstreet, posted a question or two over there, and Robert pointed me in this direction. That was fall of '06.