PDA

View Full Version : Squier '51, cheap gear sounds...

oldguy
February 12th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Everything on this clip is cheap... including my playing.:)
Stock '51 Squier, $80.99, ran into a Zoom 505II effects, $25 used, into my Valve Jr. head with JJ tubes, $135 head+tubes, through an Avatar cab loaded w/ Celestions, 1 Classic 30, 1 G12H, (I think I gave around $345 for it.)
Recorded w/ a cheap audio-technica uni-directional mic about 1 foot from the speaker cab. I did use a THD Hotplate to lower the volume ( -8db), w/o it the neighbors might complain. And w/o it, you could play a small club w/o mic'ing, unless your drummer was way loud.

http://www.box.net/public/vgsjxiux1i

Feel free to give your thoughts. The only reason for this clip is... I sometimes think less expensive gear is overlooked, or regarded as inferior.
For players on a budget, there is so much good gear out there (Squier, Agile, Reverend, Vox Valvetronix, Epiphone, etc.), reasonably priced, I thought maybe some of us could post a few clips of sounds we like w/ gear that won't break the bank.
I like my Tele and '65 Super, no doubt, I just thought some clips of "cheap" gear sounds would be fun. Maybe an Agile w/ a Cube, or an SX through a Crate...

PS...

We know what Robert can wring out of less than extravagant gear!:D
(that's why I ended up w/ the '51, and still GASing for a Valvetronix.:rolleyes: )

jasongins
February 12th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Nice demonstration, makes me feel good about my stuff. I prefer the term "value conscious" ;)

Jimi75
February 12th, 2007, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=oldguy]Everything on this clip is cheap... including my playing.:)

Dear Oldguy,

the sound is excellent and far away from being cheap. It sounded warm and fat and I have heard guys with 2-3000$ equipment wishing to sound like that!
I think one day I'll give the Epi Valve a try. Nice nice demonstration.

Now to your playing. You classified it as cheap and this utterance screams to be commented:

Your playing sounded like wide blue jeans in size s, a black tshirt with a skull on it, sholder long hair and an arena crowd that is ready to rock some time in the late 70's and that is ready to breath some double trouble Marshall stack air! I hope I made my point clear.

You rock!

Spudman
February 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
It sounds so cheap that you could make your money back playing your first gig with it. :DR Meaning...it do sound rockin bro. In a mix you could never tell what guitar that was.

That's what I've been saying all along...buy gear on the cheap and save your hard earned cash for a nicer motel room.

Myles
February 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Everything on this clip is cheap... including my playing.:)
It's always tough for an artist to put a piece of themselves out there, but I encourage you to stand by your talent. Obviously, we can all always achieve greater things, its why life is worth living, but also don't be afraid to take pride in what you've accomplished.

You have talent my friend. I hope you recognize that.

Tone2TheBone
February 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM
I keep telling these guys not to apologize for their playing!

:)

oldguy
February 12th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Believe me, I wasn't fishing for a compliment. I only meant to convey that this clip was put together quickly once I got the idea to post what budget conscious gear could sound like.
I didn't spend much time trying to get anything except the sound I wanted from the setup, and didn't worry about playing a little sloppy... hence the "cheap" comment about my playing. And so... back to the topic at hand.:)

Hopefully we will get some more posts/clips showcasing what decent, lower priced gear can offer.:p

Tone-sound-crunch-clean-thick-sparkling-glassy-...whatever adjectives you choose to describe it, the right combination can get you into some good sound territory, IMO.;)

duhvoodooman
February 12th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Wow, sounded good, Glenn. Nice and crunchy, just the way I like it! :DR

Hogfullofblues
February 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Cheap in price maybe, but that all sounded quite rich to me. You have proven your point in spades.

sunvalleylaw
February 12th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Way to go Glenn! I liked it very much and really enjoy that you did it on economical gear!

SuperSwede
February 13th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Sounds good Glenn! You bring hope to those who have the "low budget blues"!

helliott
February 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Proof, once gain, it's the player, not the gear, that makes the music.

Robert
February 13th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Cool sound! Nice crunchy tone. Should I get on of those Valve heads? :D

oldguy
February 13th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Cool sound! Nice crunchy tone. Should I get on of those Valve heads? :D

Yes, you should. With the arsenal of pedals you have, you can make the little tube beast very versatile. They seem to like pedals and Avatar speaker cabs.:)

Justaguyin_nc
February 13th, 2007, 10:35 AM
SMOKIN....Oldguy.. you always make it sound so tasty... hey...I got the 51 and Avatar cab already so....hmmmm... lol.. gotta love the way the "Talent" around here, draws me to more and more G.A.S........whew....now if I can find the place to buy those fingers!!

oldguy
February 13th, 2007, 12:23 PM
SMOKIN....Oldguy.. you always make it sound so tasty... hey...I got the 51 and Avatar cab already so....hmmmm... lol.. gotta love the way the "Talent" around here, draws me to more and more G.A.S........whew....now if I can find the place to buy those fingers!!

Don't forget the pedal, Justa!:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zoom-505-II-multi-effect-guitar-pedal_W0QQitemZ280082334534QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4141 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They're goin' down in price, and who knows, they might become a collectors item, like the Sholz Rockman!;)

Justaguyin_nc
February 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Geeezx oldguy..dont do that!! well..I had the 707II and gave it to my son about a year ago.. I also got rid of a V-amp, Jstation and some others.. and have nothing but pedals now.. which I like thru the cab... :) I guess a multi-effects just hooked to the computer alone wouldn't be bad now..at those prices...;)

oldguy
February 13th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Geeezx oldguy..dont do that!! well..I had the 707II and gave it to my son about a year ago.. I also got rid of a V-amp, Jstation and some others.. and have nothing but pedals now.. which I like thru the cab... :) I guess a multi-effects just hooked to the computer alone wouldn't be bad now..at those prices...;)

It's only $20 bucks, Justa... I'll bet you've spent more than that partying in your younger days, (I know I have).;)
If you don't like it, it'll make somebody a nice Christmas present, or you can just put it back on the 'bay when you get bored with it.:D

stingx
February 19th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I think the sound of the guitar is fantastic. If you didn't mention all the specs no one would have guessed that you used so-called "cheap" gear. I think we need to stop confusing cheap, as in cost, with cheap, as in cheaply made. I like to get things for cheap but I hate cheap things. Dig? Take wine for instance. I have had some amazingly good tasting wine under 20 USD and have also been disgusted by wine I paid as much as 4-5x for. Anyway, you managed to put a nice rig together that sounds fantastic and you didn't have to break the bank to do it. Kudos. :R