PDA

View Full Version : New tune- Ol' town

oldguy
February 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Another musical rambling trying to incorporate Robert's lessons from Dolphinstreet with my usual pentatonic refries on a homemade backing track!:p :confused: :eek:
(Howzzat fer an intro?):D

"Oh,baby,baby,where did our love go"...........

Robert
February 13th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Ahhrmm, where's that mp3? :confused:

oldguy
February 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM
It was just here, now let's see... what did I do with it....:confused:

Oh........ HERE it is!:p

http://www.box.net/public/rsynry223y

Justaguyin_nc
February 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
now that was different.... thanks oldguy

jasongins
February 14th, 2007, 06:54 AM
OG,

I listened to that BT yesterday and had a tough time visualizing a guitar part over it. Hats off to you for doing it.

oldguy
February 14th, 2007, 07:30 AM
OG,

I listened to that BT yesterday and had a tough time visualizing a guitar part over it. Hats off to you for doing it.

Thanks, Jason....maybe that's why no-one else took a shot at it?

Robert
February 14th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Cool, funny tune! How did my lessons relate to this?

oldguy
February 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I did some vibrato bends, bend up, then vibrato. I normally only used vibrato with a note, but not with the bend.
And I think it's around 2:00 in, you'll hear that cool chromatic sax line from your chromatic lesson. I'm finding lots of places, blues, country, and this track, where I tried to cop a Motown feel, where that chromatic fits in nicely.
So thanks, Robert! And yeah, I stole those licks from you! :D
And the opening "oriental" lick I stole from a buddy from a song he calls "Chinaboy" (no offense meant to our friends from the Orient, that's what he calls the song).
So ya, I steal riffs, but I also give 'em away free for the asking, so I guess I'm even-steven for the most part. Karma, ya know.

Robert
February 14th, 2007, 09:37 AM
So thanks, Robert! And yeah, I stole those licks from you!

I will send an invoice accordingly. :eek:

oldguy
February 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I will send an invoice accordingly. :eek:

Okey-Dokey. I will promptly return payment of two... no, make that three licks! Interest, for time since loan started, ya know.:D

Jimi75
February 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Old-G,

What a positive song and great melody line! The rhythm was totally different.
The bends are all great, no flat bending and your licks are innovative, especially in the first 30 seconds there is one lick that I will definitely pick up if you don't mind.

Jamie O
May 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty late to this post but this is pretty cool. This song is a good example at what I wrack my brain trying to do..record and instrumental with melody/leads over it that sound like a song, and not like a demo wainting for vocals to be put over it. Nice work Oldguy!

ted s
May 19th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Nice OG, very nice.. that's one of them happy tunes that make you smile !

sunvalleylaw
May 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Hey OG! I missed this before. Very cool. I think an example of playing guitar in a place and in a way that might usually be occupied by say a piano. The BT makes me think of a piano, and you fill the same space very nicely in a creative way. Great!

aeolian
May 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM
All I think of is: what great fun!

zeusse
May 22nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
That really brightens up the day most excellent:)

Tim
May 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM
I missed this tune back in February also. Good going Oldguy. That is one happy song. it all most makes you want to skip down the street. I can't get my fingers to perform like that. Maybe I should just be a rhythm kind of player.