PDA

View Full Version : '51 Squier! Mods...or destroyed...

oldguy
February 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Only time will tell...I fixed the sharp fret sprout this morning, with a very small 3-sided file and some emery boards.:p
I'm going to try to do more work as time goes by... and as I can afford parts. We'll all see whether I should've started this or not soon.:confused:
I'll try and keep a running total and post pics so we can all tell how many Les Pauls I could've bought by the time I'm done!:eek:

Update:
I've decided to tung oil the neck. I couldn't find a small can locally, and the gas money to drive to the nearest Lowes or Home Depot would've cost $10, so I bought a larger can. Thus the $12 add to this project. Some items, like acetone to clean the neck, and a sheet of XX-tra fine sandpaper, plus OOOO-steel wool for fret polishing, I already have laying around from other projects, so I'm not including the cost. I'm a little leery of sanding on the neck now... I read somewhere that the position markers are decals... don't know if it's true or not. I may just try and clean it with acetone and oil it w/o fine sanding.
Cost so far... and I've barely started...

Squier '51 $80.99
File 3.00
Emery boards(pkg5) 2.00
Tung oil finish
(enough to do 50 necks) 12.00
$ 97.99

oldguy
February 14th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Here are a few preliminary pics. Some are kinda blurry, I took them in a hurry. (Hey, that rhymes!-good times!:rolleyes: ) These show the guitar stock, on the basement kitchen counter/sink (my temp. workshop). Repaired fret sprout doesn't show up in photos, but I really was happy with the job. I filed ea. fret one at a time (REALLY carefully), and finished smoothing the fret edges w/ emery boards, the ones the ladies use to do their nails. Took me about 2 hrs.
Other pics show the action, before and after I adjusted it. That and the fretwork alone make it play like a new axe!
Then there are pics of the disassembly. The string tree screws were super tight, I thought at first they were super- glued! The tuners came out smooth, just loosen the nuts w/ a 10mm socket, remove, and gently press tuning machine out w/ a finger. The four screws holding the neck on were tight, and came out smoothly.
And there's pics of the Squier decal and the back-of-the-neck "made in Indonesia" decal, both of which I think will have to go. I don't really care about a name on the headstock, but if it turns out really well, I may see about getting another decal for it. I'm sure someone makes custom waterslides out there. Maybe "OldCaster" or "Ol '54's '51" .:p

I now see what Robert meant about the nut used on these guitars.
I'm sure a new nut and bridge will help it immensely.

http://www.box.net/public/7m45e4kccq#main

oldguy
February 14th, 2007, 09:47 AM
What color do you fretters think would go good with the black '51?
I may have one made, I don't think I'm craftsman enough to do it myself.
I was thinking of tortiseshell or black, the single ply white is alright, but I'd like to change it.

I have a friend 30 miles away who can make almost any color you can imagine. I've seen hot pink, snakeskin, 7-up green, and some other wild colors he's made. I don't want anything that wild. Just something that goes with the black, and chrome hardware.

Tone2TheBone
February 14th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Pics? There are pics? Where? (he says from behind a "curtain")

M29
February 14th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hello oldguy!

I would like to see what tortoise would look like, I have a sunburst that I painted an extra guard dark metalic gray and I like that but would like to get a good factory color down the road. Maybe you could work something up in photoshop or other program to see what different colors would look like. You don't have to make them perfect, just enough to see what they would look like. This way you could try all different colors. Just a thought.

Nice project oldguy I look forward to your progress as I want to mess with my '51 down the road as well.

M29

ShortBuSX
February 14th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I like the idea of tortoise too!

So the necks on these are unfinished? My Tele and Strat both have rosewood fingerboards but the back of the necks are unfinished...on the Tele I went over it with a green scotchbrite pad and knocked down the big stuff and then went to 2000 grit sanding paper and then later followed with oil on the wet/dry paper...very smooth. BUT on the Strat I didnt use the oil...and I kinda like it a little better cause its not as sticky/tacky after youve been laying it awhile. I mean all you gotta do is wipe it down with a dry rag and its cool again....but on the Strat I just go over it with the scotchbrite or 2000 grit and its friction free!

So if youve got 2 of those 51s try the oil on one and not the other *shrug*

Man youve got me thinkin I want a 51, just for the maple neck for my Tele!

oldguy
February 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM
OK, so far I have ordered a new tortise P-guard from my friends at Bass & Treble in St. Joe, MO. I dropped off the supercheap 1ply white plastic one for a template, and Chris said no problem, I'll call and check on it later.
They also are looking around for a black single coil cover, they probably have or will have a take-off from a swap. They do tons of repair work.
I have one coat of tung oil on the neck, a very thin coat, and will buff each coat I apply as they dry.
ShortBus, I like a nekkid neck myself. The only reason for the tung oil is I keep reading that a neck w/ no finish will absorb sweat & oil from your hands, along w/ any other foreign substance that comes in contact w/ it, and the neck can warp. I doubt that the maple used for the Squier '51 is top grade, so I'm putting a finish on it. But you're right, a bare wood really smooth neck is killer. I did that with a strat copy I refinished, but got nervous and tung oiled it, too. As for your Tele, the Squier neck looks to be identical to my Tele neck dimension-wise, I haven't tried swapping them, tho.
And if you get a Squier for the neck, be prepared to do some fret-sprout file work, unless you can find one w/ no protruding frets. I haven't found one yet, but all of the ones I've found are made in Indonesia, I don't know about the older ones, they were supposed to be better.

M29
February 14th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hello oldguy,

From what I found on my '51, the neck pickup cover is narrower than a stock cover. I ended up painting mine black and it looks fine. I think it is one of those things where some are different than others like the pickguards. Good idea to give your friend the original guard for a templet.

M29

Big K
February 14th, 2007, 07:16 PM
good luck with the project....

oldguy
February 14th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Hello oldguy,

From what I found on my '51, the neck pickup cover is narrower than a stock cover.

M29

I don't doubt it. Chris told me Squiers have been built in so many factories that he's surprised anybody finds two built the same.
Funny story (depending on your sense of humor).
I walked into the store, before I even told him why I stopped by, I asked "Hey, Chris, what're you doing?"
He said "Trying to get a broken screw out of a piece of sh*T Squier guitar, I started to back it out w/ a screwdriver and the head just snapped off. Cheapest damn thing I've ever seen in my life. They oughta be shot for selling junk like that. What are you doing?"
I said " Looking for a black pickup cover and a pickguard for a Squier '51 guitar!", and grinned. He did say after that, that he's seen good Squiers, but the one he had in the back of the shop should never have made it past quality control, and that the broken screw wasn't all the problem.

Ro3b
February 15th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Are you sure your neck is unfinished? Mine has a thin coat of satin-finish polyurethane. It does feel kind of like naked wood I guess. I'd want to sand or scrape the finish off before staining it or tung-oiling it.

oldguy
February 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Ro, I don't think I said it was unfinished, I just told ShortbusX I liked a nekkid neck. Anyway, if I did, I mis-spoke, you're right, both my Squiers have a sealer of some sort on them. I chose the ugliest one to mod because I've no idea how it'll turn out. I did some light sanding w/ 400 grit paper and wiped the neck down w/ denatured alcohol, then started light (very light) coats of 50/50 mix of the alcohol and amber shellac. We'll see how that turns out in a few days. I'm thinking if I can get a slight tint instead of the bleached white maple I can finish it over w/ tung oil. It should at least look different, and hopefully not in a bad way. Here's a coat, showing a very slight difference compared to the other '51 I have.

Ro3b
February 16th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Yeah, I misread. Sorry! That neck's going to look really nice.

oldguy
February 16th, 2007, 10:06 AM
The neck refinish continues. I'm glad I decided to go with shellac for the neck, I'm learning so much I never knew. I only knew it was "forgiving" if mistakes were made, which I knew they would be, and that it took other types of topcoats well, normally.
But upon reading more about shellac, I've learned it is made from "lac", which is edible, water based "shellac" can be edible, it is sometimes used as a shiny coating for fruits, such as apples, and that the "lac" itself is gathered from trees in a pellet form.
Oh, ya,...... the way it gets on the trees is.... it's an excrement from the lac insect!!!!:eek:

I am beginning to get the effect I wanted for the neck. I doubt I will add as many coats to the fretboard, maybe enough for a light tint. I'm gonna go add another coat and see if we have any apples in the house!:p

Spudman
February 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM
But upon reading more about shellac, I've learned it is made from "lac", which is edible, water based "shellac" can be edible, it is sometimes used as a shiny coating for fruits, such as apples, and that the "lac" itself is gathered from trees in a pellet form.
Oh, ya,...... the way it gets on the trees is.... it's an excrement from the lac insect!!!!:eek:

When you get done with it that neck is going to be the shi*.:D

ShortBuSX
February 16th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Are you sure your neck is unfinished? Mine has a thin coat of satin-finish polyurethane. It does feel kind of like naked wood I guess. I'd want to sand or scrape the finish off before staining it or tung-oiling it.

I dont know bout the 51 so much, but the other Squiers Ive got all appear to be nude, but from what Ive gathered theyve been dipped in some kinda oil??? thats supposed to preserve them....but its hardly a urethane finish...is that what the 51 necks are like too?

sunvalleylaw
February 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM
That is a very nice color and hue. Really warm!

oldguy
February 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM
These seem to be finished with a satin sealer of some sort. No shine at all, very flat looking, but it's there. When I wiped the headstock down w/ acetone to clean it, the logo began to fade but wouldn't come off completely, so I lightly sanded it. Then I could see nekkid wood. Now as I add coats of shellac you can see exactly where the logo was, a light spot on the headstock. The logo appears to be an ink stencil of some sort, btw, not a waterslide decal.

oldguy
February 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Another idea, this one dealing with the bridge. I say idea because I have not tried it, but I will. Please note, if you should decide to try this, that it is very possible you may have to shim your neck. Please read the whole thread before trying anything, it's a long read, but pretty detailed.
That being said, this is a very good read for "51 owners, lots of information and ideas, just keep in mind each '51 is different, what works for one may not work for another.

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=747

Justaguyin_nc
February 18th, 2007, 01:16 AM
I like the way your neck is turning out here OldGuy!
I myself am using the Smoke cigs tint... I raised my intake to another pack a day and must say all the guitars are starting to tint faster. I do need to whipe them down more though between plays.

seriously though... I think my wood shrunk up a bit on the 51..
I now feel those fret ends hitting my fingers.. this was not the case when I purchased it? sound right? can the wood draw up some?
hopefully I will take the plunge and try to find a cheap small file and see if I can correct this.
Because of it, I hardly pick up the 51 anymore and it's a great sounding guitar.
Thanks for the link on the bridge, thats the second issue with it.. just getting another bridge might be the alternative seeing some places sell them pretty cheap.
As for pickguards, I tried the snakeskin and although I sent it back do to screw hole lineup problem, it actually looked pretty sweet imho. I have since got use to my light yellow tinted ... I mean White guard.

Big K
February 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM
seriously though... I think my wood shrunk up a bit on the 51..
I now feel those fret ends hitting my fingers.. this was not the case when I purchased it? sound right? can the wood draw up some?
hopefully I will take the plunge and try to find a cheap small file and see if I can correct this.

It happens especially in winter, my old Tele would poke a little when it would get dry or the furnace would run a bit... an emory board works pretty well for a quick fret dress...

oldguy
February 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I have to head back to the city, and back to work, tomorrow, so I stuck this back together to see what it's looking like. The neck still needs some buffing out, but overall it's the look I was going for. I remember the old Fenders...my dad still has his Musicmaster... and I can't get used to the newer white necks for some reason. The black single coil pickup cover added a little, and not having the new pickguard, I just took the photos w/o one.
Still wondering what a Bigsby would look like on it...:cool:

oldguy
February 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Couple more shots...
What do you guys think? Bigsby, or not? I found the B-5 for $70, not bad for an $81 guitar.:eek:

SuperSwede
February 20th, 2007, 03:02 PM
oldguy, definately a Bigsby. It would be wild!

Big K
February 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
the tinted neck is nice...

the following is a modeling site for guitars

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/usacg/kisekae/usacgstrat650/base.asp

use the 51 pickguard and the Tele Bass control plate and it becomes a '51, they have a couple of different Bigsby models to try out to see if you like the looks...