PDA

View Full Version : Are scallops always sandy?

Tone2TheBone
February 15th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Or gritty? Is it becuase they're bottom dwellers?

Spudman
February 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Dood, you have to wash them first. Otherwise no they aren't sandy.

Robert
February 15th, 2007, 12:25 PM
If you scallop your fretboard there is a chance there is sand dust left, but don't eat it.

If you found your fretboard at the bottom of the ocean, it would likely have sand on it, and the neck will probably become warped, unless you always play under water, maybe in the bathtub.

Tone2TheBone
February 15th, 2007, 02:10 PM
*laughs* But I have washed my scallops! They're still sandy...a little.

*laughs at Robert's answer*

Spudman
February 15th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I can't say that I've ever had a sandy scallop. I've had gritty clams and they aren't very pleasant, but this isn't the place for road stories.

Tim
February 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I have learned from eating oysters that you do not wash any bottom dwelling mollusks. If you force water over them, you just force the sand and dirt into the meat.

I always dip the oysters, clams, scallops into fresh water and pull them right back out. If you soak them too long, they will open their shells to breath and pull in dirt or sand. Normally they have their own way of getting rid of sand and dirt that enters inside the shell, but it is a slow process.

So the secret is to quickly dip them, not soak them.

Happy eating!!!

Tone2TheBone
February 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Good tip Timothy thank you.

Spudman
February 16th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I had pasta and clams last night. I discovered a little grit and took it out of my mouth. I almost freaked out. It was a piece of hard calcium and at first I thought it was part of my tooth. I was very relieved to discover that it was just a piece of a clam shell.

Tim
February 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I have broken a tooth on a piece of bone in a hamburger. It left the tooth very sharp. I even cut my tongue on the broken tooth. Luckily I had good dental insurance. The fix cost over $900.00! I only had to pay the deductible. I think it was $25.00.

Point of story: Know your restaurants and know what you are eating. I always chew slowly when it comes to seafood. You never know when you will bite down on a piece of shell, grit or sand.

ShortBuSX
February 16th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I believe you are supposed to soak them overnite...you might even need to use a brine(I watch alot of cooking shows).

SuperSwede
February 17th, 2007, 01:51 AM
I had pasta and clams last night. I discovered a little grit and took it out of my mouth. I almost freaked out. It was a piece of hard calcium and at first I thought it was part of my tooth. I was very relieved to discover that it was just a piece of a clam shell.

Calcium is very good for your skeleton.

duhvoodooman
February 17th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I broke a tooth on a piece of clam shell in a restaurant at the Philadelphia Airport many years ago. I was told they would pick up my dental expenses, but when I called to arrange for a check to be sent, I started to get the run-around. So, during the 3rd or 4th phone call, I finally dropped the word "lawyer" during the conversation. Had the check in two days....