PDA

View Full Version : Your unrealized tasks...open matters

Jimi75
February 15th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Hey friends,

Today I bought a brand new notepad. I imagined if I would just write down all the guitar excercises, lessons, tablature books and so on that I have started working with and did not finish them they would not fit in the big notepad.

What are your unrealized guitar tasks? I bet you also started like working on arpeggios or putting more Jazz into your playing and in the back of your mind you were like "this time I am going to sit down work it out properly" and half the way you just forget about it...and some time later you may start again with the same result.

For me there is one thing and I swear that this time I am going to finish it.
I always wanted to learn and play "Eugene's trickbag" from the Crossroads movie - it's the final solo...I have started 13 years ago stopped started and stopped, but this time there is no escape!

....I have to climb that mountain ;)

Big_Rob
February 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Unrealized guitar tasks?

lol, thats too large a list to even start to think about.

warren0728
February 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I always wanted to learn and play "Eugene's trickbag" from the Crossroads movie - it's the final solo...
i watched that movie again yesterday....i still like it alot!

as far as unrealized guitar tasks...that books to big to get started on here!! but music theory and fretboard knowledge is high up on the list...

ww

Jimi75
February 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah I understand, but think of the one thing that comes back over and over again....

warren0728
February 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
music theory and fretboard knowledge....

ww

Spudman
February 15th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Unrealized guitar tasks?

lol, thats too large a list to even start to think about.

I put mine in MP3 form. Makes it a lot smaller so I don't get so uptight about being a slacker.

sunvalleylaw
February 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM
i watched that movie again yesterday....i still like it alot!

as far as unrealized guitar tasks...that books to big to get started on here!! but music theory and fretboard knowledge is high up on the list...

ww

Now that I know some chords and can play a pentatonic and blues scale on a couple places on the neck, I would agree with the above, with an eye/ear toward learning how to use those scales and chords to improv some music, and play stuff I hear by just figuring it out.

The learning what to do with some scales and fretboard knowledge are what come up over and over again now.

warren0728
February 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I put mine in MP3 form. Makes it a lot smaller so I don't get so uptight about being a slacker.
now that's funny....i don't care who you are!! :D

ww

Ro3b
February 15th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Good lord, you could play guitar for several lifetimes and still have unrealized tasks. The further you climb, the more you can see how far you have to go. When you get to the top of the mountain, you can see the whole mountain range there ahead of you.

Some things I'd like to work on are:

Building accuracy at higher speeds. I'm playing a lot of scales with my metronome these days.

Expanding my "toolbox" of motivic ideas by transcribing solos, listening deeply to lots of music, studying lots of different kinds of players, etc.

Increasing my instinctive knowledge of harmony, chord substitutions, etc. I think this is a strength of mine, but there's always more to know.

Playing really really well.

Not sucking.

marnold
February 15th, 2007, 09:12 PM
My big one right now is building up speed with sweep picking. There's a fine line between "almost fast" and "crash and burn."

My main goal is to find the "suck" switch and turn it off.