PDA

View Full Version : Mad Monkey vs. SD-1 vs. OS-2

MPsound
February 15th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Well, I bought the AD30VT thinking I would avoid pedals for a while and make use of the built in models/effects on the amp - coming back from a 20 year break from the fret board.

But, with all the fun Tim and Tone were having with the RC-2 I went ahead and bought one. So now I want to maybe play back a clean rhythm with the RC-2 drums and practice some leads with maybe some overdrive or distortion.

Seems I may have common musical tastes with many folks here so I'm looking for guidance on the above pedals to put in from of the RC-2. I'm leaning towards the Bad Monkey with it's popularity around here. But I'm wondering how it compares with the SD-1 Boss Super Overdrive?

Also wondering if I can get equally good tone with the Boss OS-2, as with the Bad Monkey and have the benefit of distortion if needed?

Any other overdrive pedal suggestions?

Thanks!

NPauly
February 16th, 2007, 01:42 AM
It all depends on the kind of sound you are looking for. The SD-1 and Bad Monkey are both great "overdrive" pedals. The Bad Monkey is the slightly more versatile of the two thanks to the high and low eq knobs instead of a general tone knob. The OS-2 is a very versatile "overdrive" and "distortion" and "everywhere in between" pedal.

If it was me and this was my first time buying a pedal I would go for a Bad Monkey and a Boss DS-1. That way I would have an excellent "overdrive" that is reminiscent of an Ibanez TS-9 or a Boss SD-1 and an excellent "distortion" that is similar to the Proco Rat and maybe even a little of the Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi.

oldguy
February 16th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I have the Bad Monkey and the Danelectro Daddy-O.
I like the Bad Monkey just fine, great sounding unit, and very affordable.
Danelectro is just as good, but pricier.
Don't know about the SD-1 or OS-2.

Tone2TheBone
February 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Good points NPauly.

I bought the Marshall Guv'nor Plus pedal specifically for use with the RC-2 pedal. I figured that would be my "high gain amph" and I'd use the Monkey for traditional overdrive sounds.

Spudman
February 16th, 2007, 09:51 AM
+1 for the Bad Monkey and DS-1.

They can be had for around $60 for the pair. You'll get both worlds of drive/distortion with mucho tonal flexibility. I've used a similar combination for 20 years.

Other distortion pedals will work in conjunction with the Bad Monkey for sure. I recommend those two because they do work well together and it is about the least expensive way to achieve what they do together and separately.

NPauly
February 16th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I bought the Marshall Guv'nor Plus pedal specifically for use with the RC-2 pedal. I figured that would be my "high gain amph" and I'd use the Monkey for traditional overdrive sounds.

The Marshall Guv'nor Plus pedal is great ... when properly tweaked it can sound almost exactly like a Marshall amp and speaker stack. The DS-1 however sounds very different from the Guv'nor and IMHO would still add to your now growing collection of distortion pedals. ;) But as things currently stand, since you already have a distortion sound you are happy with, I would just get a Bad Monkey to round out your options. :R

MPsound
February 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! Called a local music store and they have a Bad Monkey in stock. And I just so happen to have a $25 gift card for that store... Looks like I'll spend Saturday Monkeyin' around. :R

Robert
February 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Can never go wrong with a Bad Mo' - this monkey spanks! :D

sunvalleylaw
February 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I started my pedal collection with a Boss DS-1 and a Bad Monkey. I am pleased with the large variety of sounds possible. Don't really know what I am doing, but it seems a good start. If I had to buy one only, I think I would start with the Bad Monkey, then add the DS-1 later.

MPsound
February 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM
WOW! The Bad Monkey really is an incredible pedal. I'm having a blast with this thing! It really woke up the AD30VT, not that the AD30VT can't stand on it's own -it can, but I had at times contemplated a speaker change to try improving the tone some... Probably due to not spending enough time playing with some custom patches though. But, now with the Monkey in front of the AD30VT - oh man, there is very little effort required to get really nice tone. I need to experiment more, but I think I even like what the Monkey does for some of the high gain amp models as well, not just the clean side, by lowering the AD30 gain (from the presets) and letting the Monkey add some drive.

sunvalleylaw
February 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM
For anyone looking, one showed up on the Harmony Central for sale forum today looking in really, really good shape with all original packaging and docs for $30 shipped. If I didn't have one yet, I would probably bite. No affiliation, knowledge etc. Just saw it on the forum.

MPsound
March 3rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
So I ended up getting a DS-1 from the GC on President's Day - I would have been quite content with the Bad Monkey alone for a quite while, but could not pass up the sale price. Works very well with the Monkey as others have suggested. I run the DS-1 in front of the Monkey. I was almost tempted by the DigiTech HotHead or Grunge pedal. Anyone here ever try that combination? It seems Robert likes his HotHead. Thanks for all the advice.

Robert
March 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
I gave away my HotHead to a bass guitar student! I had too much "hair" for me, although I did get some cool sounds of it. I just didn't need it.

I think the DS-1 is similar to the HotHead, but probably a bit better sounding.

M29
March 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Hello All,

I recently acquired a DS-1 off the bay. I found it a bit thin sounding. But put in front of the monkey it sounds great!! Do you guys find a sweet spot with each pedals gain on about 2 or 3 somewhere near there? Mine just smooths out and is very responsive. I really like the treble and bass control it really helps dial in the tone and helped me thicken up the DS-1. The only problem is if I want to go clean I have to shut both off instead of one.

I love em!

M29

MPsound
March 3rd, 2007, 09:47 PM
The DS-1 is a bit thin on it's own. The Monkey adds some good tone to it. I've been running the Monkey with gain around 2-3, but the DS-1 lower 10-11.

sunvalleylaw
March 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
I am using them that way. I play around with the tone settings on the Monkey, and alternate the gain on the DS-1 between 2 or 3 and around 10. I tend to leave leave the DS-1 tone knob set at 9 or 10.

MPsound
March 3rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
M29 - which AD50VT amph models do you run the Monkey/DS-1 through?

Spudman
March 3rd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Hello All,

I recently acquired a DS-1 off the bay. I found it a bit thin sounding. But put in front of the monkey it sounds great!! Do you guys find a sweet spot with each pedals gain on about 2 or 3 somewhere near there? Mine just smooths out and is very responsive. I really like the treble and bass control it really helps dial in the tone and helped me thicken up the DS-1. The only problem is if I want to go clean I have to shut both off instead of one.

I love em!

M29

I really like that combo myself.
If you want to be able to shut both distortions down quickly try an inexpensive loop selector pedal such as the Behringer AB100 or AB200. If you put them on their own loop you can shut them down with one pedal stomp.

M29
March 3rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I will check into that loop selector Spud, sounds like what I need.

I haven't messed with this setup (ds-1/monkey) much yet as I use it mainly with my Power Block that I only play ocasionally in the basement when no one is home. My ad50vt has so much versatility in the way of distortion and overdrive that I usually don't use my pedals with it. I have tried it and it sounded good but I would like to try it longer with the Vox before I comment on what it is like to be fair. I have heard that the ing amps are not that fond of overdrive pedals but I am not experienced enough yet to make judgment on this.

I recently did do a (Rectifier CMAT Tri-Gain Mod) Monte Allums mod to the DS-1 which thickened it up some and smoothed and increased the distortion some. A nice mod to upgrade the DS-1. I would like it smoother yet though, why is it that most of us want it smooth and the pedal companies don't make em like that? I guess they do if you want to spend the money and the DS-1 is quite old now days. I haven't been playing long and I won't go into a guitar center and let anyone hear me play so I don't get to try pedals out before I buy.

I do have to say though, I am getting enough experience now to really enjoy my ad50vt. I have had it a year now and I am just starting to zero in on certain settings that I like. A great little amp indeed.
If I do use the DS-1 or Monkey with the ad50vt I use it on a clean amp such as the Tweed or Boutique clean.

Thanks guys.

M29

elavd
March 4th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I think that there is a misunderstanding here!

MPsound, asked about the SD-1 Overdrive Pedal (which i personally love and prefer over the Bad Monkey), not the DS-1 Distortion pedal ;)

Big K
March 4th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I think that there is a misunderstanding here!

MPsound, asked about the SD-1 Overdrive Pedal (which i personally love and prefer over the Bad Monkey), not the DS-1 Distortion pedal ;)
oooooop's thread reset........

sunvalleylaw
March 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
oooooop's thread reset........

Yep, but I did ask a question that concerns the DS-1 and Monkey settings were were starting to talk about here:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2313

Just in case anyone would like to still discuss it. I would. :D