PDA

View Full Version : New to TheFret

MPsound
February 16th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Hi,

Great forum you all have here. I'm Mike from Massachusetts. Played guitar for a little while, when much younger. Never was really any good, a little drums before that. Thought I'd pick up the keyboard and learn to read some music again, so I have a Yamaha PSR550 at home that I "play" with on occasion. There's just nothing like the ol' 6-string though... so I'm back and I do believe to stay with the guitar.

I currently have a Washburn D10SDLX - nice sound with the Rosewood back and Sides. Picked up an Ibanez AS73 - not bad... Action is too high though. I'll have to try and tweak that. Also have a Schecter Gryphon, which I really like the feel of the neck, but the pickups may be a bit too hot. Might try to find a good Les Paul or a copy down the road - played a Yamaha AES620 in a store and liked it a lot.

For an amph I have an AD30VT which I do like a lot. Even if I go all tube at some point I will likely keep the AD30VT around. The RC-2 Looper which is really cool - the idea there was a practice tool for now. And a Planet Waves pedal tuner.

Jimi75
February 16th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Hello MPsound and welcome to the fret!
Good to see that you decided to try it again with the guitar. The fret is definitely a place where you can find some answers to your questions and where you do not have to hesitate to ask. People are really cool and relaxed here.

Equipmentwise I would say you have everything you need for first, be sure GAS will be coming your way too, the longer you stay here :-)

I wish you a good start!

Jimi

SuperSwede
February 16th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Hey MPsound!

Another Schecter player! Tell us about the Gryphon (and pics please!)

warren0728
February 16th, 2007, 04:37 AM
welcome mike....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

oldguy
February 16th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Mike!
Sounds like you have some nice gear.
The Schecter is a nice guitar. The red ones are gorgeous, great finish on those guitars.
Does yours have the coil tap?

ted s
February 16th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Welcome Mike, .........................................

duhvoodooman
February 16th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Welcome, Mike. Always glad to have another AD30VT owner aboard!

doomhauer
February 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Welcome, good job on settling with the axe :)

Robert
February 16th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Welcome Mike, thanks for joining us. The Vox amphs can get screaming solos.

Tone2TheBone
February 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Welcome Mike good talking with you. If you stick around here long enough not only will you be typing Fretese words like amph as you have already started but you'll also be buying a lot more stuff than you ever thought you would due to the insatiable GAS that occurs here. :)

Spudman
February 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Hi Mike. Great to have you on board.

helliott
February 16th, 2007, 03:05 PM
From another relative newbie .... welcome. I bet you'll really like it here. I've found it very friendly and unpretentious -- a nice change from many web communities. You can battle GAS, but eventually, you will succumb.

sunvalleylaw
February 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Welcome Mike! I played piano years ago, got a guitar a few years ago but did not play it, then started seriously last May. This place is very friendly and a really big help to me.

MPsound
February 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! Definitely a great forum to hang out on and the people here no doubt seem really cool with a whole lot of knowledge to learn from.

SuperSwede, oldguy, I do like the Schecter. The Gryphon is apparently a model made for the Guitar Center and Musician's Friend. I believe based off of the "basic" C1 not the Plus or Classic, sells for about $400. It is a bolt on neck, but since it is unfinished I liked the feel of it. Liked the Ruby as well, but ended up with the Caramel as I liked the way that particular one in the store played. I'll take a picture for you. It does have a great finish. Nice smooth feel to the jumbo frets as well.

And yes it does have the coil tap feature. As a matter of fact I'm going to head over and try out the single coil setting with some of the clean AD30VT clean amp models again as Robert suggested. The pickups are both Duncan Designed HB103's which are based off of Seymour's SH6 Distortion pickup. As opposed to some other C1's with the HB102 based off of the Seymour JB and Jazz combo, for example. I think I'd prefer the JB/Jazz combo, but the 103's are fine for now.

Ya... I do feel a good case of the GAS coming on... :eek:

Hogfullofblues
February 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Belated Welcome Aboard. Lots of help and helpful folks here.

M29
February 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Welcome Mike!!!

M29

player
February 9th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Another belated Welcome Mike.

Commodore 64
February 9th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Another belated Welcome Mike.
Meh, what's 4 years between friends?

Steve Brown
February 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hi, I'm new here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh7DTjYZxlA)

Steve

player
February 20th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Welcome to the Fret Steve Brown!I know you will like it here.tons of friendly people willing to help with anything you can think of.someone will have it covered

TradAmpGuy
March 1st, 2011, 08:17 PM
Meh, what's 4 years between friends?

LoL http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_lol1.gif (http://www.greensmilies.com/)

MAXIFUNK
March 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
Welcome Mike!

Monkus
March 3rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Welcome !!!

bcdon
March 3rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hi, I'm new here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh7DTjYZxlA)

Steve

Welcome aboard, Steve! This is a rather old-thread that got re-kindled, so others might have missed your hello, like I did. Post a thread over here: http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php/13-The-Fret-Players so we can all say a proper howdy. Welcome aboard! :dude

Eric
March 4th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Steve's a talkative guy -- two (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/15460-Steve-Brown?p=175371&highlight=#post175371) entire posts in 10 months.

On another note, I find it hilarious that some have not noticed that this thread is from 2007.