PDA

View Full Version : Small Amp

Big K
February 17th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Unexpectadly sold a couple of pieces yesterday so now I'm gassin' for not only another guitar ('51) but a small amp as well....looking at the Epi Valve Jr Combo, Roland Micro-Cube / Cube, Vox DA-5 / 15 or ????? something to grab quick with decent clean sounds and a little dirt.... leaning toward battery powered but :rolleyes:

Recommendations :confused:

sunvalleylaw
February 17th, 2007, 08:49 AM
You already have the Vox AD30VT. I would think you should get the Epi so many here love! Have fun shopping!

warren0728
February 17th, 2007, 09:19 AM
You already have the Vox AD30VT. I would think you should get the Epi so many here love! Have fun shopping!
i agree....and epi is coming out with a new cabinet (in april i think) that matches the head unit that will have 1 12" eminence lady luck speaker....

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=283&CollectionID=13

i am thinking of selling my valve jr. combo and getting that setup...

ww

Robert
February 17th, 2007, 09:24 AM
The Vox DA/x seems cool! Small and battery powered, perfect for traveling!

Big K
February 17th, 2007, 10:28 AM
heard that the head unit of the Epi is far quieter than the combo something to do with the internal power to the tubes???, so may have to wait for that little stack unit to become available (it is a cool look)... until then I believe I will grab a battery powered unit for fun... have to do a sound compare with my tired ears between the Vox, Roland & maybe one of those Fender '57 Tweed Mini-Twins...

warren0728
February 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM
maybe one of those Fender '57 Tweed Mini-Twins...
you mean like the one in this picture (except mine is not tweed)?

ww

Spudman
February 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Warren
I hope you've got a way to split your guitar signal because you've got some great stuff there to be running in stereo.

warren0728
February 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Warren
I hope you've got a way to split your guitar signal because you've got some great stuff there to be running in stereo.
i sound bad enough out of one amp...people may die if i pump my sound out of two amps!! :D :DR :DR :D

ww

Big K
February 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM
you mean like the one in this picture (except mine is not tweed)?

ww

They look good, but don't know how they sound...

warren0728
February 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
They look good, but don't know how they sound...
well they are very low power with a tiny speaker...basically kinda clean at extremely low volume and lots of dirt if you want any volume...it does have a headphone jack so you can use it to drive a pair of headphones...

ww

Big K
February 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
well they are very low power with a tiny speaker...basically kinda clean at extremely low volume and lots of dirt if you want any volume...it does have a headphone jack so you can use it to drive a pair of headphones...

ww

Thanks; think I'll concentrate on one of the larger Vox/Roland battery units....

warren0728
February 17th, 2007, 02:56 PM
the microcube isn't a bad little amp at all....keep in mind you aren't gonna get much headroom with any of the small battery powered units....

ww

Big K
February 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
the microcube isn't a bad little amp at all....keep in mind you aren't gonna get much headroom with any of the small battery powered units....

ww
yes sir, i had one of the micro-Marshalls that I tossed in with the strat I sold and that broke up almost immediately with any volume...

Justaguyin_nc
February 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I had the Roland MicroCube... Gave it to my Daughter...
Has some good sounds to it and it is Clean..
Small enough to take any place and battery backup worked fine..
Feel and sound of Quality...
You wont get as many distortions with it as the VOX DA though..
but it also takes pedals well..
enough sound to fill a room, with the aux-in you have everything in a compact system.
IMHO.. Gets a thumbs up from me..

Big K
February 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I had the Roland MicroCube... Gave it to my Daughter...
IMHO.. Gets a thumbs up from me..
cool thanks for the recomendation.....

Spudman
February 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Try out a Vox DA 5 before you purchase anything. It's only fair.

Besides...Robert might get a commission.;)

Big K
February 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Try out a Vox DA 5 before you purchase anything. It's only fair.

Besides...Robert might get a commission.;)
LMAO..... heck ya, still more than pleased with my AD30VT, wouldn't hurt my feeling to have another Vox in the house...the guy that picked up 2 guitars from me took my old Peavey also for his daughter so now I am really gassed up for tomorrows shopping spree...

F_BSurfer
February 18th, 2007, 07:05 PM
If you run into one of these give it a go really nice small amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Champion-600-5-Watt-1x6-Combo-Amp?sku=485054

Big K
February 18th, 2007, 07:13 PM

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Champion-600-5-Watt-1x6-Combo-Amp?sku=485054
will do, thanks.........

Danzego
February 19th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Yikes. I'm sorry, but I just HAD to throw my two cents in here. I'm sure it's a great amp and all (6 inch speaker nonwithstanding), but I felt the urge to point out yet another Fender marketing department debacle:

This simple tribute to the cute and collectable 1949-53 era Fender guitar amplifier makes small-room sessions lots of fun!

Cute and collectable 1949-53 era Fender guitar amplifier? *vomits* What do they think these things are....Pokemon? What is WITH Fender lately? Who (or what) did they bring into their marketing team? Do they know who they're ttrying to appeal to here? :confused:

Big K
February 19th, 2007, 06:37 PM
didn't like either the micro-cube or da-5 battery powered units, must be in a $**# mood today... i'm turning more into caring about tone by that dang AD30VT and the clips being posted by my peers here... I've decided that I won't be happy unless I go all tube with my next G.A.S. reduction purchase. the Epi head & cab or the combo if that matching cab doesn't come out soon.. the Fender Champion sounded weird in the store & Crate & Peavey low wattage tube units are nice but over 3X the price of the Epi....