PDA

View Full Version : Agile Guitars

EscalonJon
September 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
If you want to spend a bit over $100.00 and up to $700.00 and get quality and tone of guitars three to five times that much, check out Agile guitars. Korean made copies of popular guitars, and many styles that stray from the norm. Sold only by www.rondomusic.net/ out of a family music store which is, I believe, in New Jersey. I have three Agile Les Paul clones, a low to mid-priced AL2500 gold top with P-90s, A higher-line AL3000m, and a top-of-the-line AL3500. They are all incredible buys, and were fantastic platforms for modifications and upgrades. They also have acoustics, Fender clones, and some other interesting stuff for not much money. They are a great alternative to Epiphone, at least for Les Pauls. Oh, on the AL3500 you get a solid 3/4 inch flame top, two piece back, Grovers, Seymour Duncans, a great brown hsc with pink interior and shroud, and shipping for slightly over $700.00!!! (see the Harmony Central reviews)

Robert
September 24th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Interesting, I have heard about these guitars on other forums. I assume we can't buy them here in Canada then if they are only sold by Rondo Music in New Jersey? I'd sure like a Les Paul some day, I thought the Epiphone LPs weren't bad.

Jon, looking at your sig - man you have a few guitars! Quite a few amps too!

EscalonJon
September 24th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I really believe they are better than the Epis. I have had a few Epiphones in the past, and they are great, but everybody has one. I also beleive that Epiphone can get by with a bit less quality because the name carries them somewhat. The Agiles really have the feel and vibe of a much better guitar. The Higher level Agiles will hold their own with the Gibson Studio LPs. I have upgraded two of the three of mine. Seymour duncan P-90s and Klusons on the Gold Top, WCRs on the 3000m and Tone Pros on both. I would guess that they would ship to Canada if there was any way. I'll tell you what, let's both save up...When you buy an Agile, I'll buy a Rev.

Yes, my wife would agree that I have too many guitars, but you know the old saying...

That's why I like them cheap, so I can have as many as I want. I don't really have any one instrument that is very similar to the others. I like the variety.

tremoloman
October 5th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Are the Agile's really that good?
How do they compare to the Squier line?

I've had my eyes on a few of these for sometime. I wanted to wait until I heard a few reviews from players of these guitars.

I want to build a Jazzmaster with a H-S-H configuration and a Floyd Rose for Joe Satriani type of stuff. Jazzmaster bodies are so damn comfortable to play with live IMHO. My palm rests perfectly on the bridge cover, fitting me like a glove. I thought about buying a Squier JagMaster then modifying it, but at $250 it isn't cheap and I hate 24" scale necks.

EscalonJon
October 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM
As far as the Les Paul style, In my opinion, the Agile is to Epiphone as the Fender MIM is to Squier. If that makes any sense. But, you know, there are great and crappy amongst instruments coming sequentially off the assembly line, so...you really have to either try them out in person, or take a gamble with remote ordering. I currently have three Agile L.P.s. I modified the two cheaper ones, and I have a top-of-the-line 3500 that I haven't touched. They are all very pretty and feel and sound great (even out of the box, but I can't leave them alone). Rondo reeks of great value. The L.P. cases they carry are very nice, too.

The Jagmaster would be cool, what a neat project. Don't forget it altogether, if it is meant to be, you will do it someday. "you never can have too many...."

I'm tempted to get the SX '75 5-string Jazz Bass copy next... http://www.rondomusic.net/product413.html

I don't really play bass, but what a sweeet looking axe! Speaking of G.A.S.

MagicBaller21
February 16th, 2006, 06:21 PM
i just ordered a new Les Paul agile!!! its the al 2800 delux with a maple flame top. ill definately post pictures when it arrives and if possible, ill try to record some stuff wiht it! im super excited about it, since just about everything ive heard about these is good. ill keep ya guys informed as to what's goin on!

r_a_smith3530
February 16th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I'm tempted to get the SX '75 5-string Jazz Bass copy next... http://www.rondomusic.net/product413.html

I DO play bass, and I'd be interested in a four string version of that bass. Unfortunately, it appears that the closest they have is the SX SPJ-62 Ash, built from a three piece body, with a not-quite-so-nice skunk stripe neck, and P-J pickups. I already have the P-J pickups, in a genuine Fender, albeit quite modified.

For a description of my Frankenbass, see my intro.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=365

Here's a pic of me playing it recently.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c342/sportyrb/paulrob1.jpg

Yeah, a four string version of the Jazz you linked to at Rondo would be something I might just spring for!

ZoSo65
March 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM
Some of those Agile Guitars are pretty sweet lookin'

Zõ§õ

Robert
March 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the pic Rob - it's always great to see fretters play!

tot_Ou_tard
March 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM
If you want to spend a bit over $100.00 and up to $700.00 and get quality and tone of guitars three to five times that much, check out Agile guitars. Korean made copies of popular guitars, and many styles that stray from the norm. Sold only by www.rondomusic.net/ (http://www.rondomusic.net/) out of a family music store which is, I believe, in New Jersey. I have three Agile Les Paul clones, a low to mid-priced AL2500 gold top with P-90s, A higher-line AL3000m, and a top-of-the-line AL3500. They are all incredible buys, and were fantastic platforms for modifications and upgrades. They also have acoustics, Fender clones, and some other interesting stuff for not much money. They are a great alternative to Epiphone, at least for Les Pauls. Oh, on the AL3500 you get a solid 3/4 inch flame top, two piece back, Grovers, Seymour Duncans, a great brown hsc with pink interior and shroud, and shipping for slightly over $700.00!!! (see the Harmony Central reviews)
Thanks Escalon! Do you know how these compare to Corts & Schecters?

Bloozcat
March 29th, 2006, 08:23 AM
As far as the Les Paul style, In my opinion, the Agile is to Epiphone as the Fender MIM is to Squier. If that makes any sense. But, you know, there are great and crappy amongst instruments coming sequentially off the assembly line, so...you really have to either try them out in person, or take a gamble with remote ordering. I currently have three Agile L.P.s. I modified the two cheaper ones, and I have a top-of-the-line 3500 that I haven't touched. They are all very pretty and feel and sound great (even out of the box, but I can't leave them alone). Rondo reeks of great value. The L.P. cases they carry are very nice, too.

The Jagmaster would be cool, what a neat project. Don't forget it altogether, if it is meant to be, you will do it someday. "you never can have too many...."

I agree with EscalonJon about the Agile guitars. They are a very good quality guitar at very affordable prices...and they're a modders dream. I have one of the early 2800 DLX in flame cherry sunburst with the LP horn and symetrical headstock. I paid $289.95 for it and have now modded it into a guitar that I would compare favorably to many an LP I've played. Note that I said I have modded it into a guitar that I can compare to some LP's I've played...they are not on a par with LP's as purchased from Rondo. But they are IMHO, better than Epi's compared NIB to NIB. I also own an AD 2500 w/P-90's in a beautiful honey-like flamed maple top finish. Again, I've modded it to the next level as well.

I would say that an Agile is to a Gibson as a MIM Fender is to a USA Fender, but I've found the Agile Strat and Tele clones to be better than the MIM Fenders.

The SX line that Rondo Music carries I would compare to the Squire line. There are some very good ones, but they are generally not at the level of a MIM Fender (close) or above. Great deals none-the-less though, and they're great modders guitars as well.

Where the Agile-aholics go to meet. Lots of good Agile info here.
http://www.agileguitarforum.com/

Spudman
May 25th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Has anyone tried the Agile acoustic guitars? If so what do you think?

Justaguyin_nc
October 6th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Another great looking Rondo Agile Guitar.. at least IMHO .... my goodness is this not a sweet looking SG knockoff with the ESP butt attached.. Although I really don't like flashy... Even the Gold looks good here.. Ebony board.. bound headstock and all... Hmm an SG Supreme for as little as $340.00.. wonder how good it sounds...

Tinky-Winky
October 8th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Hmm, I'm not so keen on the very offset body, but the quality looks top notch.

Tone2TheBone
October 9th, 2006, 09:13 AM
The offset body looks like a Jazz Bass. There was a Gold Top Agile LP in Music Go Round last week. I picked it up and looked at it. Seemed pretty cool enough but I noticed that the nut width was narrow for being an LP bound neck copy. Are all Agiles like that?

Jamie O
June 16th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Well I'm wiiiiiiicked late to this thread but whatever....Ive got a Cool Cat Prestige, and I love it. Blonde, no vibrato. I'll say right off the bat I've never had a big hollowbody b4 so I have no point of reference, but the quality is good. Ebony fretboard, abalone block markers, the binding is pretty clean, and my biggest surprise is the pickups are good and I AIN'T replacing them, which I was sure I would be. I never even had it set up, once i got the god awful strings it was sent with off and wiggled the bridge around a bit it was all set, and pretty much stays in tune( the G will drop sometimes if I kill it) So for something I bought on a lark, figuring worst case I'd set it up for slide, I'm really pleased with it. I pretty much use it 50% of the time I play.

oh...it feeds back...who knew?:rolleyes:. I'm also really glad the model name isn't on it anywhere!!

F_BSurfer
June 17th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I have had an agile 2000 for couple years now When I received this guitar I was kicking myself for buying it without playing it the body was and is totally amazing the frets were nice and the tunners were good but thats were it stopped.The nut was cut bad string spacing was about 1 3/16 the E and B were so close to each other that it was almost unplayable.The saddles on the bridge had large burrs on them.The pickups were flat and not very harmonic combined.The neck was fat and very chuncky and the urethane finish on it was like playing fly paper.
Anyhow I agree its is a modders dream and thats what I did took it to a luthier and had the neck shaved and new nut.I put new pickups and electronics and a new bridge.Now it plays and sounds as good as it looks and I really love playing it!!!!!!
At the time I purchased this was looking at a Epiphone Steve Perry bone yard and wish I had purchased it.Buying without seeing or playing is a risk.I am being kind of critical on a guitar I paid $179.00 for and put 375 in to.

Spudman
June 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM
At the time I purchased this was looking at a Epiphone Steve Perry bone yard and wish I had purchased it.Buying without seeing or playing is a risk.I am being kind of critical on a guitar I paid $179.00 for and put 375 in to.

Lol. Steve Perry has his own signature guitar? Pretty good for a wanker singer.:D

I think you mean Joe Perry.

The deal with Agiles is: first, they now come from a different factory than 2 years ago. The upper end models may still be made in the old factory because the quality is quite good. The lower end are probably made in the newer factory.

Second, get a model of 2500 or higher (3000, 3500, etc.) These are higher quality. You'll be sure to be happy then.

Jamie O
June 17th, 2007, 08:42 PM
The nut was cut bad string spacing was about 1 3/16 the E and B were so close to each other that it was almost unplayable.The saddles on the bridge had large burrs on them.The pickups were flat and not very harmonic combined.The neck was fat and very chuncky and the urethane finish on it was like playing fly paper.

I've read some posts regarding the nut on alot of the LP styled models especially. Like you said though, I suppose for the $179 the odds on a crapshoot get worse. At the time they had the less expensive model of the Cool Cat too and I was trying to pick between spending less or increasing my odds of being happy with it for more money. I'd buy an Agile again, but as Spudman said I'd stick to the higher priced ones. An inexpensive guitar is what it is, but I'm happy with it. Actually my biggest concern is, since it is cheap, that I like it now but it'll fall to pieces in 3 years.

Brian Krashpad
June 25th, 2007, 08:55 AM
- it's always great to see fretters play!

"Be careful what you ask for!"

Here's me gigging with my Agile, a Valkyrie II P-90:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/birfday2005allBKlunge.jpg

Here's a better shot of the guitar:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/Valerie.jpg

I've had no problems with mine and gig it stock. No mods needed. It would've been well worth the ~$240 USD Rondo asking price, and was an absolute steal at the $99 closeout price I got her for.

I sold my Epi G400 SG as redundant after getting the Agile.

Robert
June 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Cool looking axe, Brian! Looks like you are treating it well.

Brian Krashpad
June 25th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I've read some posts regarding the nut on alot of the LP styled models especially. Like you said though, I suppose for the $179 the odds on a crapshoot get worse. At the time they had the less expensive model of the Cool Cat too and I was trying to pick between spending less or increasing my odds of being happy with it for more money. I'd buy an Agile again, but as Spudman said I'd stick to the higher priced ones. An inexpensive guitar is what it is, but I'm happy with it. Actually my biggest concern is, since it is cheap, that I like it now but it'll fall to pieces in 3 years.

Fwiw, Kurt at Rondo seems to be very good about returns and exchanges. I have not had to deal with that personally but have read of many others who have, with good results. I find those reports believable, in that when the Agile I bought went on special, I e-mailed Rondo and expressed some concern that by the time they received my money order via post (I don't buy guitars on credit cards), the stock would be sold out. Even though I'd never bought a guitar from them before (though I had made some inquiries about other guitars previously), Kurt volunteered to "set aside" a guitar for me!

He just seems to be a very reasonable customer-oriented guy.

Spudman
June 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM
He just seems to be a very reasonable customer-oriented guy.

I'll vouch for that. He's treated me well also. I too asked to have a handpicked guitar and it was no problem. I got a great axe and even returned one that was not so good with no issues whatsoever. A+ for Rondo's customer service.

I wish I would have seen that deal for a $99 Valkyrie II. Nice going Brian.

Robert
June 25th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Same here, Kurt at Rondo has treated me well.

Brian Krashpad
June 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I wish I would have seen that deal for a $99 Valkyrie II. Nice going Brian.

Thanks man, as I have said more than once, "Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good."

;) :D

kerc
June 26th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Brian is the Official Good Guitar Deal Finder in the World Wide Web. :D

Brian Krashpad
June 26th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Brian is the Official Good Guitar Deal Finder in the World Wide Web. :D

Haha, man I've gotten some good ones. Most of the mail-order ones, like the Agile buy, were because other people on the net (specifically over at Harmony-Central) sussed me to them. Had I not been reading the forums over there and elswhere I would have missed out on quite a number of deals over the years. So now that I think about it, I guess all that time "wasted" on guitar forums has probably ended up saving me hundreds of dollars!

;)