PDA

View Full Version : Checklist for pedal problems

alanfc
February 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Can anyone help me build a list? I think it would include tips on:

1-open the back, clean the contacts/jack thingie?
2- how do we see if a knob/pot is bad
3- how do we see if the footswitch/button is bad
4-how do we see if a toggle switch has gone bad
(can you =see= these things?)

Thanks

(I have a Guyatone Flanger that started acting weird last night..when I punched it didn't do anything, then when touching one of the =knobs= it made a crackle and started working..jack wiggling had no bad effect. I know last week there were a few times I may have been rough on the stompage since the controls had shifted, not gently- but by heavy foot)

Spudman
February 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
For the most part, all the pedal problems that I have incurred have been:

(1) cable related. Cables shorting out, pulling out, bad input jacks
(2) Dirty switch. Not engaging or disengaging
(3) Power supply. Either dead batteries or faulty AC power. Some locations will experience voltage "brownouts" and "spikes" in the power grid and it makes pedals do strange things. Other things include: battery leads breaking, AC plug shorting out or lead broken, polarity reversal, loose/worn mini AC jacks

Knowing if a pot is bad is most easily detected on a unit that the pot is constantly in use such as a wah wah pedal. They will crackle or cut out. Simple solution is to use contact cleaner in the pot.
Other pot problem would be a broken lead or solder joint. If you engage the pedal while powered with an instrument signal and then shake it and you hear your problem then something has most likely come loose.

Sometimes a poorly responding switch problem can be power supply related. So before you replace the switch check out the AC connections and polarity, especially if you have other power supplies and pedals all hooked together. Again, try contact cleaner in the switch before major surgery. If the switch will not respond AT ALL then it might be bad. Do the other checks before replacing it.

Most mechanical/electrical related problems can be fixed with some good contact cleaner. Parts like switches and pots are somewhat durable and should last for many years. Usually it is the invasion of particulate matter or oxidization buildup or wear that causes these parts to under perform.

If you abuse your pedals, jump up and down hard on them, toss them into a milk crate along with all your power supplies and mike stand bases then your problems will require more in depth repair. Soldering then becomes a necessity skill. It's also going to end up costing you more if this is how you treat your pedals.

alanfc
February 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM
GREAT thanks..
I've got cleaner and I swap pickups all the time & I'm not afraid to solder..
I'm smart with a pedalboard case and I don't abuse stuff, but this particular pedal (the flanger) has pretty tall knobs and I think I must have accidently kicked them a few times. It was in a new spot on my board.
Maybe I need to play in these so's to avoid this issue:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=187069&CategoryID=13614
:DR

Spudman
February 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I LOVE those shoes! That would allow for less space between pedals and allow your pedal board to be smaller too...and, they look great with spandex.:D

If you think that maybe you have kicked some knobs a few times too hard then it's possible that there is a cracked solder joint where the pot connects to the circuit board. I'm unsure of what problems you are having so I'm just throwing out possibilities.

alanfc
February 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I LOVE those shoes! That would allow for less space between pedals and allow your pedal board to be smaller too...and, they look great with spandex.:D

If you think that maybe you have kicked some knobs a few times too hard then it's possible that there is a cracked solder joint where the pot connects to the circuit board. I'm unsure of what problems you are having so I'm just throwing out possibilities.

OK thanks,,,
I'm hoping that a cracked joint would be visible to the untrained eye?
I'll open it up
THANKS