PDA

View Full Version : Would you want to be 100% Immortal?

Myles
February 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM
This question hit me with our recent surge of superhero discussion.

Would you want to be 100% Immortal?

You can't end your own life, ever and no one else can either and the rest of the world is going to keep on working the same way as it always has. (so you aren't allowed to bring your wife along for an eternity of torture ;)) In other words, no matter what you aren't going to die and everyone you love will. Could you handle this? Would it be worth it?

ted s
February 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM
What if some bad dude lopps your noggin off with a big a$$ sword ?
I don't know if I could handle an eternity of working for a living though.. maybe immortality plus a superhero power, like the ability to produce money at the snap of the fingers. Yah, that's it, Super Immortal Moneybags ! :R

oldguy
February 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Nope, can't see the point.:p

Myles
February 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Nope, can't see the point.:p
It isn't even a little enticing to be able to learn basically everything? To see the very shaping of the world and the human race? To be able to see the end of all things? (if such a thing can happen)

I'll admit I'm with you oldguy, living forever seems almost like a curse, but there is so much more one could discover given a 100 life times instead of just 1.

SuperSwede
February 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I'll admit I'm with you oldguy, living forever seems almost like a curse, but there is so much more one could discover given a 100 life times instead of just 1.

Well, the problem is that an eternity wont stop at a 100 life times.. just imagine when you are standing before the altar getting ready to get married for the 1000th time! And you promised yourself 999 times before never to do it again! doh.

sculpin
February 20th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Nah...

My grandmother is 90. She has had 4 of her 6 children go before her and she is one of the saddest people on earth. She is always depressed just thinking about it. She wishes for the end to come. I try to cheer her up when I can, but it only lasts for a short time.

I'll live on through the youth I helped influence. Hopefully, they will bring a little of me with them in their lives and hand down some part of that to the next generations.

I'll just try to live this one to the fullest and then move on to whatever is next.

What kind of strings should I buy for my precision. Lookin for a versitile sound. My current set (if memory serves me) are Rotosound from about 1990!

Sculpin

Justaguyin_nc
February 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM
The movie series Highlander deals with this... and Although we all would love to live forever... I don't want to be around for any deaths... so no.. would not want to be immortal unless allmy loved ones shared it with me.

Myles
February 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
One of the most common changes with a being that lives forever and can't be destroyed is that they don't value life the same way you and I would. Things like Death and Lost Love you would become numb to eventually.

I guess perhaps the question is almost asking, would you like to be something other than human?

ted s
February 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Not me, wouldn't be able to play Gitarz then. What has more fun than people ?

stingx
February 20th, 2007, 09:32 PM
I thought about this a long time ago and I still have the same answer...no.
It comforts me to know that I'll get to check out at some point and slip into the big sleep. I'm hoping for the best rest I've ever had. I have no desire to live forever. I think it would cheapen my life to know I couldn't die and I would become numb and emotionless as the centuries rolled on. I'd become so bored. Sure, new things would always pop up every 30-40 years but think about how you get a new gadget and them how quickly that gadget gets replaced by another and is left to gather dust in a closet. That's how everyone and everything would be viewed as.

Enjoy the ride, gents. In the grand scheme of things it's a pretty short one.

Spudman
February 20th, 2007, 10:41 PM
If I could make the world a harmonious and better place I'd do it. Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Jimi75
February 21st, 2007, 03:34 AM
To live forever? Never! I do not want to bury my kids and my love ones, the thought alone makes me feel sick.

Sometimes I wish that life passes a little slower. My theorie is the older you become the faster the days and months seem to fly by.

DaveO
February 21st, 2007, 04:39 AM
The Buddhists say that you are reborn forever until you achieve total enlightenment and enter Nirvana. Maybe that's why I feel so old sometimes.
Dave

sunvalleylaw
February 21st, 2007, 09:50 AM
Immortality in this world without my loved ones is not appealing to me. I have thought about that issue since I was a kid, especially with my early reading, and especially the Lord of the Rings and Narnia series. The Narnia series touches on the subject with the White Witch experiencing total beauty, power and immortality but being miserable and lonely. The main characters pass on to a different realm with their loved ones and experience gorwing and expanding love and joy. I have faith that it is like that. Kind of personal to say out loud on the fret, but there it is. :-)

I agree with Jimi75 that time in this mortal world seems to speed up, at least at this point in life. John Mayer wrote about this on the "Stop this Train" track. It is a daily exercise for me to get out of my head when I come home and join the world of my kids and family so I can enjoy all I can with them. Ok, I sound really trite and sappy, but I guess I just am! :p :)

tot_Ou_tard
May 25th, 2007, 08:24 PM
With these genie in a bottle wishes one has to be veeRRRRrrrryyy careful. You *know* that the fine print will get you & you will suffer for eternity.

Loved ones would truly only be the issue the first 100-200 years. I would imagine that things would get quite complex & then very jaded & blase.

After that..who knows. maybe you'd watch a sequia grow for 550 years & before deciding what to do for the next 3000 milllion millenia. ;)

Ro3b
May 26th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I'd like a slightly different deal: I can only die if I kill myself. I'd enjoy living a really really really long time. Long enough to gain a lose a few fortunes, have every career I ever wanted to have, rack up advanced degrees in every discipline I can think of, start a revolution or two, spend a couple of lifetimes in a monastary, and sure, watch a few sequoias grow. But flat-out immortality without an opt-out feature, no way. Even if I didn't decide to pull the plug before, I wouldn't want to outlive the end of the world, or of the universe.

kerc
May 26th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I would like it, and then I would become the Chronicler of the World, like Astinus in Dragonlance.

:D