PDA

View Full Version : Hello from So. MD

sculpin
February 20th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Hi

I just joined the forum and am looking foward to gathering insight from all you guys!

I used to play bass from about 1970 through about 1990. I fooled around a bit on guitar and keyboards as well, but my main thing was bass. Through a series of circumstances, I ended up getting into professional sound reinforcement, (live sound engineering). I was in business with a partner (who now works for NASA, but still keeps his hand in the business a bit). We had the privilage of working for some of the biggest bands through the 80's. I have been away from music for a long time and am looking foward to getting back into it a bit. We have a place set up to get together and jam, but I have come to the realization that I can't play any more and don't know anything about the current hot set ups, best strings, straps, pickups, bridges, etc...

I still have my Fender Precision bass and just got an Epiphone 57 Les Paul Jr. Reissue and an Epiphone SG copy. I am getting a Semi-hollowbody Telecaster soon and want a Rickenbacher bass and a real Les Paul at some point. I also want a vintage SVT set up and Marshall stack. Add some synthesizer/keyboards and some purcussion toys and I'll probably be happy for a while. I hope to get back my feel for playing and all the equipment within the next few years.

Well, thats it for now. Sorry about the long post....

Sculpin

warren0728
February 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM
welcome sculpin....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

oldguy
February 20th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Welcome to TheFret.Net!
No need to apologize for the long post... it's great when a new members give some info about themselves.
You've got some good gear there, and a Tele, real Les Paul, and a Marshall stack are definite tone generators, sounds like you've got it figured out.
As for current hot setups...... somebody'll be able to clue you in, I'm sure.
I play mostly "budget conscious" gear...:D
Someone will soon tell you you'll like it here ...OOPS!, I see he already has.... and he's right.
Someone else will mention the GAS syndrome...but I think you've already acquired that....:p

ted s
February 20th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Welcome Sculpin, nice intro.....

Spudman
February 20th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Hi Sculpin.

I bet you have some great stories from working all those shows. Don't hesitate to throw some of that out here. I can relate. I still work shows during the summer.

Enjoy the fret, and don't forget that Warren thinks you'll like it here.:rolleyes:

Tone2TheBone
February 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the Fret. :)

Robert
February 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Welcome, welcome! :) We all thinks you will like it here...

grungeiceman
February 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Hey, welcome. You will really like it here everyone is willing to help, the most friendly and useful forum I have ever used.

sunvalleylaw
February 20th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Welcome, welcome! :) We all thinks you will like it here...

Yes, Welcome! Robert, and the other members here throw a great party. Have fun!:DR

Tim
February 21st, 2007, 05:28 AM
Welcome Sculpin. It looks like the Fret Net just gained more talent to its memebership. Welcome again Sculpin

SnowDog
February 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
Welcome! I say this as I have been a member of 30 minutes now! Welcome!:D

sculpin
February 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM

Watch your back! I think Crowbarman is around the corner!!!

Hey...wonder what its liike to get whacked with an "Axe"?

Thanks for the welcome!

Sculpin

duhvoodooman
February 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Well, if you listen to some of our posted clips, you'll realize you're not our first "axe murderer" here at TheFret! ;) :D

Some nice gear you've picked up, and it sounds like the GAS attack ain't over by a long shot! :DR

sculpin
February 22nd, 2007, 06:21 AM
...and it sounds like the GAS attack ain't over by a long shot! :DR

Well....

That is the 2nd reference to a "GAS" attack!

Now I'll admit, I am, at times, prone to such things and when I get them, you may want to leave the room for a while, but honestly guy's...This time it wasn't me!!!

LMAO...

OK...What is the GAS deal all about????

Sculpin

duhvoodooman
February 22nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome, a dreaded disease common to Fretters the world over. It leaves you happy, but your wallet empty.

sculpin
February 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome, a dreaded disease common to Fretters the world over. It leaves you happy, but your wallet empty.

Thanks ..voodoo...

Oh, OK NOW I understand! I definately have all the symptoms.

Yep...I'm hopeless! If I get everything I want, We're lookin' at probably ....

Well I don't even want to think about the cost.

I'll just keep hacking away at the list, then adding to the list...then hacking away at the lis..... ... .... .....

Sculpin

tot_Ou_tard
February 22nd, 2007, 05:35 PM

Well then welcome to Sculpin & to you too Snowdog!

Sculpin, we expect 80s war stories from the rock n' roll front line. :R :DR

M29
February 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Hello Sculpin, welcome to the Fret.Net!

M29

helliott
February 23rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Welcome. Thanks to the vets here (the ones with mega posts) this is one of the friendliest communities you'll find. Enjoy.