PDA

View Full Version : Help with setting this guitar up PLease.

grungeiceman
February 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Well as you know if you read my stupid buy, i bought a cheapho 25 dollar strat copy. well the last guy i bought it from thought tunning meant twisting the tuners till he heard no more buzz..... Well the truss rod adjustment is on the bottom, im not sure how to adjust it becuase im used to it on the headstock.
Every string has severe buzz to the point you cant hear anything. The bridge is all the way up anyone know what i can do?

Big_Rob
February 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
It sounds like to me that the action is too low. Also, If the guitar was set up for a lighter gauge string and the strings are heavier that it was set up for, it ill cause a floating bridge to lift.

grungeiceman
February 20th, 2007, 03:05 PM
They are lighter guages and i have put the action as high as it can go... where do i go form here, and the fret buzz is terrible

ShortBuSX
February 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Can you post a pic of it? Or a link to one?

Basiclly your going to have to change the strings and retune it first...and then see where the neck stands. And then make adjustments to the saddles and truss rod.

Big_Rob
February 20th, 2007, 03:57 PM
They are lighter guages and i have put the action as high as it can go... where do i go form here, and the fret buzz is terrible

neck adjustment all the way.

ShortBuSX
February 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM
First thing is to eye up the neck from the bridge...be sure not to put any preasure on the neck(except for string tension). Just look down the neck like you were sighting up a shot...now whats the neck look like? Look on the other side of the bridge now...hows it look?

carp3nt3r
February 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM
If your guitar has heavier strings on it,say 11's or 10's and was set up for 9's the tremo will tilt towards the neck of the guitar thus heightening the strings above the fretboard. look to see if maybe the strings are striking the pick ups creating the buzzing, if not , look down the fret board along the surface and see if the neck has a bend in the wrong direction. it should have a mild concave on the fret side. I usually look up the neck from the big end of the guitar you should be able to see along the surface that way. also if the neck to body angle is wrong it may buzz, i went thru this with a (gibson)epoch guitar i have, it required a shim be inserted where the screws hold the neck on to change the angle. try a google search for 'electric guitar set up' to see better illustrated tips.

good luck with it. carp3nt3r

ShortBuSX
February 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Well do you have a model number? I'll look up the pics/specs myself.

grungeiceman
February 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM
ok only the first 4 fret buzz now but the truss rod is on the bottom and none of the allan wrenches fit well... and i dont know how im supposed to turn the dang thing .... This is the trusrod adjustment. how do use it?
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4926/1002123hl0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

carp3nt3r
February 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM
You did say this was a lyon by washburn? if so my son has one you will still need to visit a website for exact details but you should be looking for a nail etc that will fit in the holes of the knob down in the slot of the neck/body the adjustment would be made by rotating it. again check for other info because i dont know which direction you would turn it.

again, did you look at the neck/body angle to be sure neck isnt skewed back? make sure first before touching the truss rod.

good luck, carp3nt3r