PDA

View Full Version : Jay Turser strap nut question...

Earful
February 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
So...I am setting up my brand spankin new JTA-35CEQNG, tuning her and all. This guitar only came with the strap nut on the body. I will be adding one to the neck bridge today. Any tips or tricks I should know before I drill a small hole in the bridge, at a 45º angle and thread the new one. Should I glue this?

any help is appreciated....

Spudman
February 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM
What's a "strap nut?":confused:

oldguy
February 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM
What's a neck bridge?
Do you have pictures? I work better with pictures.;)

Earful
February 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
The little round doo-hickey that one attaches a guitar strap to.....:D

Earful
February 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Pics coming.....give me a few.....

oldguy
February 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Oh, OK, I always heard 'em called strap buttons.
The ones that lock the strap to the guitar are called straplocks, and I suggest looking into a pair of them, they're worth the money, and more, if you drop 'yer guitar and break it. :confused:

Earful
February 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
So....the guitar came with the one on the body. Here is the plan....add one on the neck bridge, where the neck attaches to the body. Any ideas going forward when adding one of these....How to's, etc. ?

Earful
February 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Pics....for your perusal....

oldguy
February 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM
A lot of people use a strap that ties around the headstock, to give the guitar better balance. Not very stable, though.
If you're going to start drilling holes in a new guitar, I would search for a pic on the web of a similar style acoustic to see where the button is mounted.
Once you drill a hole, it's permanent. Proceed w/ caution.
It needs to be placed where the guitar will hang comfortably, and the screwhole needs to be sized accordingly. That is, the drill bit should be about the size of the shaft of the screw, not the threads. This is going to be your "pilot hole", to allow the screw to go in w/o splitting the wood.
If you're uncomfortable doing this, by all means wait until you can take the guitar to a shop and have it done. It's a pretty lousy feeling knowing you've screwed up an axe, and I speak from experience.
That being said, here's a pic that may be helpful.
Again, I don't recommend trying this unless you're confident of your ablility...
not trying to be a downer here, just don't want you to mess up any axe, much less a brand spanking new one... OK?:)

Earful
February 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the tips....I have been researching this and will call a Luthier tomorrow to find out how much they charge to do it. I think I can swing this...I have tapered drill bits.....