PDA

View Full Version : Obtaing A Clean Tone On The ADxxVT Amps

Tim
January 4th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I have been trying to obtain a nice clean sound on my VOX AD30VT.

Single notes and light arpeggios sound pretty good. But when I strum chords, they all have that crunchy sound. I am using Boutique, Black 2X12 and Tweed 4X10 amp modelers. Normally I dial in the following settings:

Power Level – 75%
Gain – 12:00
Volume – 9:00
Treble 12:00
Middle – 2:00
Bass – 12:00
Master – 3:00

Now I read on one of those “other” websites that you can not over drive the Boutique and Black 2X12 modelers with the Gain.

When I play the same chord progression on my Peavey 110, 40 watt Solid State amp, the chords are nice and clean. This is what makes me think it is incorrect settings for the AD30VT.

I will be gigging for the first time next month and want to learn how to program the AD30VT. I have 4 practice sessions to learn. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Robert
January 4th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Try lowering the gain more, that should do it.

marnold
January 4th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I'd probably back off on the master some too. That controls how much signal goes to the tube amp. Obviously the hotter the signal, the more distortion/overdrive. Those "other" sites are clearly wrong. All of the "clean" amp models will overdrive if you crank the gain.

As I posted elsewhere, I normally use the default settings for the Boutique CL amp for my clean sounds with the Master set at about 1:00. The default settings for that are as follows:

Gain: 11:00, Volume: Max, Treble and Middle: 1:00, Bass: 12:00

With those settings I get a very, very slight (almost imperceptible) amount of overdrive. I've got a pretty hot humbucker in my Fender, so it's going to tend to do that.

Robert
January 4th, 2006, 11:06 AM
You might need to roll off the volume knob a bit, if you have a hot humbucker. No single coils on your guitar?

SuperSwede
January 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I dont own one of those amps, but I always set the master volume to full and then keep the volume/gain very low for a good clean sound. I think that tube amps sound best when the power amp is pressed hard.