PDA

View Full Version : A little midnight blues

helliott
February 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM
I kinda liked this chord progression, and the retro sound of my Strat through the Mesa, just breaking up a little. Anyway, here it is.
http://www.box.net/public/3ozip5hm74

Spudman
February 21st, 2007, 11:48 PM
Very nice.
That makes me feel like the bar is closing down, the smoke is thinning out, two couples are still dancing on the dance floor hoping that tonight is the night, the lights behind the bar are on but the stage is still awash in red and blue lights, and the bar back just brought over a cold case of Heineken for the band to take home with them. Good night ladies and gents. We'll see you tomorrow.

And then a fight breaks out by the bathrooms.

sunvalleylaw
February 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM
Very cool! I agree with Spud's description! My wife and I have enjoyed those late night blues slow dances more than once!

Justaguyin_nc
February 22nd, 2007, 11:35 AM
nice Helli...
makes ya wanna just kick back...
liked the tone and playing..
there a Backing Track for this? ( its addicting so I ask..:) )

M29
February 22nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Nice tone and phrasing helliott, very nice indeed!

Spudman you nailed it, I can just picture it those were some of the best jams at the end of the night.... Take us there helliott...

M29

helliott
February 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
I shoulda thought of that. Yes, I'd be happy to burn a version with the lead dropped out and post it. Will try to get to that, maybe as early as tonight.
Thanks all for the positive comments -- glad you enjoyed it.

SuperSwede
February 22nd, 2007, 01:26 PM
Very nice playing Helliot, I really liked the slighty "rougher" lead guitar sound on this recording. Do post the backing track (in Mp3 perhaps?)

warren0728
February 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
very nice...i really liked your tone....damn now i want a mesa!! :eek:

ww

ted s
February 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Nice job Helliot in Hamilton, what did you record with ?

helliott
February 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks.
Recording is on a BOSS BR1200 hard disc recorder. Rhythm is an effect on the recorder. Bass is a Squier P bass straight into the deck, EQ'd and Verbed. Guitar is an S1 Strat through a Mesa Lone Star, mic'd into the board.

Jimi75
February 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Hey Helliot,

Did I hear some BB King influence in there?!?!
Great track with very original blues feel, your phrasing is very good.

:)

tshiskoski
February 23rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
nice flow Helliot, had this playing at work to take the edge off!

helliott
February 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks. I love the King -- saw him a year or so back at Hamilton Place and even in his somewhat diminshed state, he's a real gem -- so few notes, so much emotion. I always remember what EC said: he lives to play a solo that only needs one note to get the message across. Not sure if he was talking about BB, but he coulda been.
Saw Colin James last week at the same venu, and he's another guy who doesn't need to play fast to make you sweat, although he can burn with the best of them.
Also, note to the folks who asked me to post it without the lead as a backing track: I will, but am having trouble with remixing and mastering the copied track. Not insurmountable, but taking some time. Didn't want anyone who wanted it to think I was blowing it off.