PDA

View Full Version : Playing Rhythm

Tim
January 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM
I have a question on rhythm. I understand that normally you strum each beat with an acoustic guitar. I have been studying rhythm patters from several guitar books. My question deals with strumming rhythm on an electric guitar. Are the same rhythm patterns used? From what I have been hearing in songs, it seems that the electric guitar is not strummed on each beat of a measure. It is used a filler, if that is the correct word to use.

Is the strumming done in conjunction with the emphasis of the words being sung? Are there different patterns for ballads, or waltz based songs? I have been asked to play rhythm guitar for our church’s Praise and Worship band. I want to look like I know what I am doing during rehearsals. I do not want to just stand there and strum 4 beats to a measure throughout a complete song. Where is a good starting point for me? Thanks to all who help.

Katastrophe
January 5th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Wow... There are a lot of questions there, and they're good ones!

As far as using "acoustic" style strumming patters, they can all translate well to the electric, if used in the right context. Of course, they won't sound the same as playing an acoustic, but you can get close by getting a good clean sound on your Digitech. I personally prefer (if one is available) to have an acoustic player to handle the strumming chores, and use the electric to accent certain chords by picking the chord, or small, low key fill in lead lines, to give the song a fuller sound.

There are an unlimited variety of rhythm strumming patterns out there, from traditional "up and down" styles (like those used in a number of country songs), to heavily syncopated rhythms that work around the drum beat and accent different points in the main melody. Different time signatures (like a waltz, with 3 beats per measure) are absolutely gonna require a different strumming/picking pattern to stay in time with the drum beat.

Does your band do mainly traditional praise music? Is it contemporary? Do you have recordings of the original songs? The best advice I could give you is to listen to the original song and use your ear to copy the guitar rhythm as closely as possible. Practice each song over and over, until it becomes second nature. You may have to fine tune a few things with the band at practice, but as long as you are in the right key for the song, the adjustments should be minor.

Playing and rehearsing with a full band is a great teacher. Take your time, and don't be afraid to ask questions! That's the only way you're gonna learn...

tremoloman
January 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Which type of electric guitar do you plan to strum like an acoustic?

My Jazzmaster works great with strumming since it lacks sustain by design. For Strats, I find turning the treble and volume down to at least 50% along with using the bridge and middle pickups together seem to do the trick.