PDA

View Full Version : Mesa 5:25

tot_Ou_tard
February 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
I had a chance to play for about 10 minutes (clean only) through a Mesa Express 5:25

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

It was sweet (modulo the fact that I don't know anything) does anyone have any experience with 'em?

Robert
April 13th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I have read about this one, looks awesome on paper! I'd love to try one. How much do they go for?

Jimi75
April 14th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I have played it intensively at the tradefair in the end of March! This amp is a killer. The clean channel is the best I heard in a long long time. The crunch and metal is pretty creamy,too although I could imagine metalheads need some more distortion. Anyway, for blues and rock it is perfect and the reverb is awesome.

One thing I was missing is a second master volume for solo sounds.

Putting the amp in the 5 watt class a mode you get the best sounds you heard in a long time.

duhvoodooman
April 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM
How much do they go for?
About a grand, from the preliminary reports....

tot_Ou_tard
April 14th, 2007, 06:45 AM
About a grand, from the preliminary reports....

That's the price I was quoted. Way too rich for my blood. The store was crowded & that was just the amp with the fewest people nearby. The clean sounds were addictive.

Adrian30
November 14th, 2007, 01:22 PM
It's a great little amp! I tried one few days ago, and loved it. I'll second Jimi on the superb cleans and very rich & smooth mild distortion. The tag price was $1049, but if you look at used, often 20+ years old Mesa Studios, slightly newer Calibers or F30s, you'll see them priced $600 to $800+. In the used market, Mesa retains the value pretty good.

Anyway, just wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone else has tried one in the meantime.

A

abraxas
November 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Almost all Mesas (Rectum-friers probably excluded :D ) are like a complex musical instrument, in the sense that you have to spend a lot of time with them in order to come to terms with what they are actually capable of. Which is usually quite a lot.

That said, both the 5:25 and the 5:50 are quite pricey in Europe, even with the favorable euro/dollar exchange rate. :mad: They are actually priced like boutique amps, even though they are rather bulk made machines (I cannot stomach the "tubes on a circuit board" that easily... ).