PDA

View Full Version : Squier Black & Chrome Special Edition Tele

duhvoodooman
February 24th, 2007, 02:22 PM
EDIT 4/6/07: Item sold on eBay. Thanks for looking!

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/BC_Tele/BCTele_full.jpg

Well, I bought this last spring for my son in the hopes that he might catch the "guitar bug", but it never happened. He picked it up about three times since I bought it, so when it's been played, it's been me doin' the playing. No reason to keep it around with my Nashville Tele on the way, so it's time to sell this AMAZINGLY GOOD inexpensive instrument. Bought brand new in March '06, making it just under a year old. Has never left my home (smoke-free) and doesn't have more than 25 hours of playing time on it. Only blemishes are a very light amount of pick scratches on the pickguard, and one small gouge in the rear along the bottom edge. Easily a 9 out of 10 for condition.

The most amazing feature of this guitar is its neck. I had played some other Squiers and wasn't expecting much, but this neck feels and plays just great. I only hope my Nashville Tele is just as good! No "fret sprout", like many of the cheaper Squiers have. Holds a tune well, and I had it professionally set up. This was a special model in 2004, and goes for $200 new at the big music outlets. I managed to get it a bit cheaper, and it's a super value.

The only modification from stock is that I put better pickups in it--a set of brand new Hot Vintage Tele p'ups that are used in the Highway 1 Texas Tele, a US-made Fender model. The bridge in particular has a real nice bite to it. Paid $75 for 'em on eBay last May.

I will be posting this on eBay if I don't get any bites here in a day or two. Here's the deal: the guitar and an unused gig bag, with the upgraded pickups and the original ones for $180 plus shipping cost to your location (US & Canada only). Or, I'll take out the Hot Vintage p'ups and reinstall the stock ones, and you can have it for $135 + shipping. PM me, if interested.

HERE (http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/BC_Tele/BCT_image_select_r1.htm) is a web page with a whole bunch of photos that you can check out. There are lots of little white flecks against the guitar body visible in several shots--just reflections of the flash off specks of dust. Believe me, this guitar is clean as a whistle...

grungeiceman
February 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM
wow well i know i dont need anymore guitar but man thats a steal for a great guitar, I wish i wasnt buying a drum set soon err

snarph
February 28th, 2007, 05:06 PM
How would you rate on a tele scale

duhvoodooman
February 28th, 2007, 07:07 PM
That's a little subjective to answer. Realistically, if you're talking about the "Tele scale" as including all Telecasters--including $1500 '52 Reissues and the like--well, it's not going to measure up to that kind of standard. But I would characterize this as a very good Telecaster, and unmistakably true to type. The playability is extremely good; the neck is as good as anything you'd expect to find on a Fender in the $500 - $750 range (and I've played several of those). The hardware is solid, and the controls seem to be quite good, too. Not chintzy feeling nor electrically noisy at all.

Tonewise, it will depend upon which pickups you go with. The Hot Vintage set that are in it now are very good and quite versatile. Maybe not as "spanky" as a classic vintage Tele, but still very bright. And because they're overwound a bit (hence the "hot" designation") they'll give you a little more growl than the typical Tele p'ups, especially at the bridge. I've enjoyed playing them a lot. Not a jazz or heavy metal guitar, but it will handle anything in the range of country, blues and classic-to-moderately-hard rock very nicely. The stock pickups are adequate, but no more. I found them to have a good solid Tele character to them, but they lacked a bit of "presence" for lack of a better word. A little on the dull/non-descript side. Still, for $135, you could throw a set of your choice in there and still get away for something in the $200 - $250 total investment range.

You mentioned somewhere that you have a bunch of humbucker guitars. Be aware that this is a single-coil guitar, and they have some hum. This one isn't bad at all; quite typical of the genre. But a bit more noise is a fact of life with single-coil guitars.

Bottom line: I got a good deal on a good guitar when I bought it, and I think I'm passing along an even better one to whoever buys this.

duhvoodooman
March 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM
*** BUMP ***

Just want to give anyone potentially interested in this guitar a shot at it before it goes up on eBay, which will likely be tonight (3/5/07).

duhvoodooman
March 31st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Well, it took me a while to finally get this thing up on eBay, but it's listed now (3/31). 7-day listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330104927283

SuperSwede
April 1st, 2007, 09:26 AM
Good luck DVM.. but I doubt that you need it, that guitar should be easy to sell. Let us know what you got for it once the deal is done.

warren0728
April 1st, 2007, 10:06 AM
good luck dvm.....hope you get what you want for it! If i didn't already have my mim standard tele i'd be interested!

ww