PDA

View Full Version : DVM's ZYS

oldguy
February 24th, 2007, 07:52 PM
2007 Zonkin' Yellow Screamer... If you're up to date on Duhvoodooman's work you already know what these are... if not, well, all I can say is you're missing out, check out the threads and get updated. While this review is somewhat tongue-in-cheek as to regarding "SCREAMING AMPH SOLOS!", the Zonker is the real deal. I'll try and get some clips posted ASAP, and in the meantime hopefully someone will enjoy this review...:p

This unit consists of a bright yellow sturdy metal box with four knobs...
"Level, Drive, Gain/Bass Boost, and Tone", plus a three position switch...
"Cool, Normal, and Hot", plus the footswitch button that switches it on/off, and a nice looking red led that indicates when the unit is engaged. It also has "IN' and "OUT" connection jacks and a 9v power supply jack. The overall look is very clean, professional, and just plain cool. With this baby at your feet, "screamin'" to be stepped on and put into service w/ your favorite amph, you can feel the mojo.
"With this pedal (and my amph), I know I get screaming solos!" :p
I tried this ZYS out w/ my Strat copy, and my Squier '51 through a Valve Jr. amph head running into a 2x12 Avatar cab w/ 2 Celestion speakers.
Although I can't verify it w/o opening this beauty up, I believe it is one of the very first production models made. No serial # I could find on the outside, and I don't dare open the case, for fear some of the magic might escape from this little monster!
First impressions...
Set on "cool", w/ the drive turned down and the gain/bass boost full up, and the tone set to taste, this baby gives me the nice fat, slightly warm boost I need to make my axe "jump out" and let me know it's due for the blues.
On both "normal" and "hot", though different voicings, I can crank the drive and let 'er rip out some OD sounds that remind me of the arena rock era, especially when I throw down some delay w/ my Danelecto PB, & J.
I really like the # 2 and 4 positions on my Strat copy w/ this pedal, it shines there the best, and like most Strats, there is some hum on the other settings, but when cranked to high gain, you can engage the ZYS while playing and it's no more noticeable than on my Danelectro Daddy-O or Bad Monkey OD. This pedal is no one-trick pony, but you absolutely have to tweak to find the best settings for your axe/amp combination, as w/ any other piece of gear. Turning the knobs on this pedal, esp. the "gain/bass boost" and the "tone", make a big difference in the sound you achieve.
Next I ran this puppy behind my Squier '51 to see what it would sound like w/ a humbucker and/or single coil setup.
The Squier's single coil sounded nice and warm, a bit of hum here also, but nothing out of the ordinary. Neck single coil plus bridge humbucker, nice fat warm tone, good for rhythm, some leads, pretty cool sound, I preferred the Zonker on the "cool" setting w/ just a hint of breakup here.
Finally, humbucker alone, first the "cool" setting w/ a little PB&J set to a hollow-like doubling echo. Good sound for blues, rhythm and lead, very nice.
Then I went straight to "hot" mode, cranked the gain/bass boost and drive full on, and put a little PB&J on for flavor... Wow! Nice high-gain sound, not exactly the metal scooped mids sound of some pedals, a nice full sound. With some palm muting, this Zonker can give the impression that you're ripping through a good ol' stack, even w/ my little low budget V. Jr. and Squier. I can't even imagine how it'd sound through a vintage Marshall and a Les Paul. Probably would tear down a couple of walls with the ol' girl cranked, just to keep the neighbors on their toes!:D
Overall, I'd have to say there are many boost/OD pedals to choose from, but many I've used color or muffle your sound. The ZYS can be set clear and clean, nearly transparent, tone-wise, you just have to do your homework and tweak it to taste. It can also be set to add a dash of bottom end, mids, or highs to your lead work, again, turn the knobs till you find them.
If this pedal were lost or stolen I'd wonder what the he!! happened to it and start searching for the money to replace it, because if I'm stupid enough to "lose" it I deserve to buy another one for my ignorance and if it's stolen I'll probably never see it again, and with my luck, if I hunted down the dirty rotten SOB that stole it and tortured him until he told what he did with it, I'd be the one that would get caught and end up doing time, not him.
Summary...
This is one pedal I'm glad I added to my arsenal of effects...I can't wait to get the EMG's cranking into my Traynor YCV-40 with the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer in-line to add to the tonal destruction, and hopefully I can get something recorded in the near future.

Spudman
February 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Dang! That sounds cool. I want one too.
Is it true bypass?

Which 3 combinations did you spec?

Justaguyin_nc
February 24th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Sound clips... Sound Clips... Pricing.... Pricing... :)

Mark
February 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Sounds very cool!! I cant wait the Dr. is in the basement mixin up the medicine for mine, this oughta be gooten!

Tone2TheBone
February 26th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I think the idea that you've got to spend time tweaking the knobs to find some sounds is right up my alley. I love tweaking stuff. I can't wait for mine, I'm getting #003!

duhvoodooman
February 26th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Sound clips... Sound Clips... Pricing.... Pricing... :)
I'll let Oldguy provide some clips of his own, though there are several I posted from my prototype unit, available through the following threads:

Original ZYS thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2230)

Opamp comparison (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2469)

Clipping diode comparison (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2540)

As far as price goes....lemme get back to you on that. I sold a total of 5 of them at a "special introductory price" of $150. I want to finish up those 5 orders before I decide where to go with this. Assuming I decide to sell some more after that, the price will certainly go up some, based upon the amount of time it takes me to fabricate these things. We're talking somewhere in the range of 8 - 10 hrs. each, I'd estimate, due to the amount of fine soldering work involved, particularly on the switchable gain, bass rolloff and clipping diode mods.

oldguy
February 26th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Between work, trying to get the '51 done, and wanting to play with this ZYS I don't have time "finish" anything right now.:p
But here's a quick clip I threw together of the Zonker, just a tad of PB&J delay straight into my ValveJr. It actuallly sounds better than the clip. I really reallly realllly need to spring for a Shure 57 to record with.
Used the cool setting, very little drive, for a blues rhythm/lead sound.
PS... the Gain/Bass Boost makes a big difference in this pedal....I'm still tweaking.... but if I don't hear the sound I want, I know I'm not turning the right knob!:D

http://www.box.net/public/injhg5exf1

Spudman
February 26th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Clap, clap, clap (multiple claps). That sounded really good. Hard to believe that is a 5 watt Epi amph. The quality of the amph plus pedal and your playing are totally pro sounding.
Now the big question: how nasty does that pedal get?

duhvoodooman
February 26th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Bravo! Very nice laid back tones there. But I'm with Spuds--lay some of the filth on us next! Let's hear what that "Hot" setting will do! :DR

SuperSwede
February 27th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Wow, sounds really good Oldguy! Now turn up the gain and give us some screaming solos!

oldguy
February 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Once again, thrown together in haste, but I tried to let the Zonker sustain on some notes here to show it's potential, and again, it sounds better than the $29 AudioTechnica mic suggests. This is not the highest gain setting, but it is approaching it. However, it is also recorded at a "loud speaking" level, in other words, you could have shouted over my amp at this level.
In a club, cranked, the sustain would have easily went into a nice, controlled feedback. And again, the delay is the Danelectro PB&J, w/ the Zonker, and straight into the ValveJr. On the slower, sustaining passages, the Zonker could hold those notes, and if you notice the palm muting on the chords, the definition is still pretty nice, and the setting never changed, but ya gotta tweak to find it, it's not a one-trick pony, so you've gotta learn to ride...:D
Amp...$99
Guitar...$300
PB&J.....$50
ZYS.....$150
Playin' the blues through an OD pedal a brother fretter built, and gettin' that draft shut off in the nest.... priceless!:cool: :cool:

http://www.box.net/public/slmdeu3js2

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Now that's what we're talkin' about! What were the ZYS settings, Glenn?

And to respond to an earlier comment you made:

Although I can't verify it w/o opening this beauty up, I believe it is one of the very first production models made. No serial # I could find on the outside, and I don't dare open the case, for fear some of the magic might escape from this little monster!
Well, I can verify it! It's ZYS #001, and it's written on the inside. Go ahead and remove the bottom plate and check it out. Here's what you'll see:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/ZYS_001_guts.jpg

You'll have to go in there to install a 9V battery, if you ever want to run it without plugging in to a "wall wart".

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 12:53 PM
That's beautiful but give us overdrive sounds from that overdrive pedal hello! LOL ;)

Edit: OH WAIT you posted more?? Email them to me I'm at work today!

:DR

SuperSwede
February 27th, 2007, 01:00 PM
No chicken bones or mystery powder inside???

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I always take those out before snapping the photos. Trade secrets, ya know!! ;) :D

SuperSwede
February 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I always take those out before snapping the photos. Trade secrets, ya know!! ;) :D

Bah.. I´ve come across some photo evidence of your dirty work! Here is DVM preparing another set of chicken bones!

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/pics/640/DSC_8693_crop.jpg

*edit* good idea to use gloves, you dont want to catch the bird flu. Talk about Mojo!

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 01:08 PM
LMAO - that was too funny Sweder now please email me OG's file. :)

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Overdrive recordings are much better. Is there a reason the guitar is totally to the right in the mix? It's hard to really hear it that way. Which guitar was that? Do one on the tele neck pickup.....

Spudman
February 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM

The mystery powder may be inside something else. :D Dem bones is fa da fucha.

Spudman
February 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Bah.. I´ve come across some photo evidence of your dirty work! Here is DVM preparing another set of chicken bones!

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/pics/640/DSC_8693_crop.jpg

*edit* good idea to use gloves, you dont want to catch the bird flu. Talk about Mojo!

Where are da knobs? Musta hab dem chiken hed nobs.

oldguy
February 27th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Overdrive recordings are much better. Is there a reason the guitar is totally to the right in the mix? It's hard to really hear it that way. Which guitar was that? Do one on the tele neck pickup.....

Guitar is to right because it's thrown together on two tracks of the BR549 and not mixed down. Slide your PC's volume control balance/fader setting to the right more to hear more guitar and less BT. (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Volume Control).
It was the Switch's bridge EMG Select. The tele's down till I get some strings on her. I think my neck pickup's different than yours, yours will sound different, but I'll get a clip on here w/ it when I can. In the meantime here's another higher gain clip. I mixed this one down just for you Tone. Enjoy!!!:D
Oh, I forgot,:eek: you can't get them at work, can you??? :confused:
:p

http://www.box.net/public/q025r6jlvr

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Guitar is to right because it's thrown together on two tracks of the BR549 and not mixed down. Slide your PC's volume control balance/fader setting to the right more to hear more guitar and less BT. (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Entertainment/Volume Control).
It was the Switch's bridge EMG Select. The tele's down till I get some strings on her. I think my neck pickup's different than yours, yours will sound different, but I'll get a clip on here w/ it when I can. In the meantime here's another higher gain clip. I mixed this one down just for you Tone. Enjoy!!!:D

*laughs* Ummm...no sir I can not. You know I'm dying for some clips aren't you. hahahaha

---I also pulled the stereo headphone jack out halfway and that helps A LOT.

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Where are da knobs? Musta hab dem chiken hed nobs.
Whaddya, blind? I see them clearly!

oldguy
February 27th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Tone, check yer e-mail, buddy!!!:D

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Tone, check yer e-mail, buddy!!!:D

Ok thanks! Listening to the first clip again via your tip and my forced mono headphone trick. Nice sound on the 'buckers there actually....

oldguy
February 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM
On the 3rd clip I started w/ the ZYS off so you can hear the difference when I kick it on. Again, just guitar, ZYS, PB&J delay pedal, then straight into the ValveJR.
One difference... I picked up a Shure SM57 coming home (when they sent us home from work early today) and recorded w/ it into the BR549. The sound is much closer to what I'm actually hearing now than it was before with the other mic.

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM

*grins* the Zonkin' Yeller has sweeeet saturation. I like I like!

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM
On the 3rd clip I started w/ the ZYS off so you can hear the difference when I kick it on. Again, just guitar, ZYS, PB&J delay pedal, then straight into the ValveJR.
One difference... I picked up a Shure SM57 coming home (when they sent us home from work early today) and recorded w/ it into the BR549. The sound is much closer to what I'm actually hearing now than it was before with the other mic.

Can't go wrong with a 57...glad you picked one up! Thanks again for the recording G!

oldguy
February 27th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Tone, here's the settings you wanted. Bridge HB, EMG Select, Valve Jr. set about 1:00, I might mention I've retubed w/ JJ's, a "36" grade EL84, and changed the preamp from 12AX7 to 12AT7(ECC81) for less preamp breakup, so ALL the gain you're hearing is the ZYS,on "normal" mode, with gain/bass boost on setting#4 of 6, and "drive" full up, the amp won't start any breakup until around 3:00 w/ humbuckers spanked hard.

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Tone, here's the settings you wanted. Bridge HB, EMG Select, Valve Jr. set about 1:00, I might mention I've retubed w/ JJ's, a "36" grade EL84, and changed the preamp from 12AX7 to 12AT7(ECC81) for less preamp breakup, so ALL the gain you're hearing is the ZYS,on "normal" mode, with gain/bass boost on setting#4 of 6, and "drive" full up, the amp won't start any breakup until around 3:00 w/ humbuckers spanked hard.

This is one good looking pedal. This is one good sounding one too. Thanks for posting the pic, it answered my questions. Normal mode on the diode selector really sounds good. I'm remembering Voo's clips with the pedal in hot mode too. I think Voo is gonna be rich soon.

oldguy
February 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
It really is a very vesatile pedal. You have to tweak it, and get to know it, because every single knob and switch actually (gasp!) DOES something!
I'm still learning, but if you can't get a sound (or several) out of DVM's ZYS that you like, you haven't found the right settings to match the pedal to your gear, IMO.
I'll be checking out the full-on gain settings w/ EQ before too long, and be adding some dual chorus, reverb, etc.
I wanted to try it w/ just some delay straight into the amp first, so it wasn't being colored w/ a bunch or other effects.

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM
It really is a very vesatile pedal. You have to tweak it, and get to know it, because every single knob and switch actually (gasp!) DOES something!
I'm still learning, but if you can't get a sound (or several) out of DVM's ZYS that you like, you haven't found the right settings to match the pedal to your gear, IMO.
I'll be checking out the full-on gain settings w/ EQ before too long, and be adding some dual chorus, reverb, etc.
I wanted to try it w/ just some delay straight into the amp first, so it wasn't being colored w/ a bunch or other effects.

Glenn is the Valve Jr. the only amph you have? It isn't I don't think. I would think you'd get even more versatility and tone options with an amph that has treble, bass, mids and presence etc. But what you've recorded so far makes the pedal sound pretty good...especially if you had the pedal's tone knob below 12:00 and running through a Valve Jr with no amph tone knobs.

oldguy
February 27th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Oh, no, I've got a '65 Blackface Super, a Musicman 2x12 Sixty-five, and a Traynor YCV-40WR... but I wanted to use the amp I could crank a little w/o disturbing the neighbors, and besides, what fun would it be tweaking all those settings on amps when I wanted to have fun tweaking on the ZYS?:p
Seriously, if a V.Jr. w/ 1 knob sounds good, you can make pretty much anything sound good w/ this pedal.
I'm thinking of hooking into the Traynor next and combining the OD channel w/ the ZYS to see how over the top it can get and still sound tasty. Or maybe run stereo into the Musicman and Fender w/ the ZYS driving them both into some nice crunch sounds. But I always end up playing half as loud as I want to and twice as loud as the law allows....:rolleyes:

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Oh, no, I've got a '65 Blackface Super, a Musicman 2x12 Sixty-five, and a Traynor YCV-40WR... but I wanted to use the amp I could crank a little w/o disturbing the neighbors, and besides, what fun would it be tweaking all those settings on amps when I wanted to have fun tweaking on the ZYS?:p
Seriously, if a V.Jr. w/ 1 knob sounds good, you can make pretty much anything sound good w/ this pedal.
I'm thinking of hooking into the Traynor next and combining the OD channel w/ the ZYS to see how over the top it can get and still sound tasty. Or maybe run stereo into the Musicman and Fender w/ the ZYS driving them both into some nice crunch sounds. But I always end up playing half as loud as I want to and twice as loud as the law allows....:rolleyes:

Ah ok I get it. Dang neighbors anyway! ;) Yeah I agree and that is what I was trying to say. If you get good results with the V Jr. and using just the pedal for your tones then I'd say it's doing a fine job. Good point.

Tone2TheBone
March 21st, 2007, 04:02 PM
Since there hasn't been any recent activity in this thread I decided to post a link on "The Scream".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scream

.....bears a striking resemblance to a little red guy I've seen. :D

Spudman
April 19th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Played my first gig last night with the ZYS.

I ran into the ZYS first then into the rest of my pedal board which is Rotovibe>Wah>Loop selector>DS1>TS9>Flanger>Delay>Tuner>amph. Usually I use the modded TS9 to fatten things up and can leave it on a lot of the time so I did that for a bit. Then I thought I would try the ZYS so I clicked the button and OH MY GOD! Words are not adequate to describe the tonal bliss with a Delta Blues and a ZYS. Creamy, fat, thick, present, controllable, delightful, pleasant, spectacular and so on. I think you get my drift. By comparison the TS9 is anemic and toy like compared to the ZYS.

Voodoo - you built an amazing pedal. Somewhat better at gig volume than at home levels. When the amph is working the ZYS does too. :AOK:

duhvoodooman
April 20th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Very cool to hear that the ZYS is "gigworthy"! Thanks for the report, Spuds! :dude: :AOK:

Spudman
April 20th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I did an open mic tonight but only used my TS9 Tube screamer. What a shame. It sounded like a wispy fart in a tornado compared to the glorious sweet thunder of the ZYS. :master:

Looks like I'd better get my next pedal board configuration figured out soon. It's amazing how lame the TS9 sounds by comparison.

Tone2TheBone
April 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM
Now the question is...which chip is currently in the socket. I'll bet it's the JRC.

Spudman
April 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM
I finally opened it up - man I need a magnifying glass because these letters are soooo small. It is the STM LM833N chip.

duhvoodooman
April 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Do yourself a favor and try that TI TLC2272ACP chip I sent you, Steve. IMO, even better than the LM833N, though YMMV.

Be sure to install it in the correct orientation, if you do....

Spudman
April 21st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Do yourself a favor and try that TI TLC2272ACP chip I sent you, Steve. IMO, even better than the LM833N, though YMMV.

Be sure to install it in the correct orientation, if you do....

I would if it hadn't of gotten blown up in the chip swap jihad.:o

Tone2TheBone
April 22nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Do I have that chip?....hmmmm I better check.

Yup...I do.

I will try that sucker this week. I really like the throaty mid range tone of that JRC chip though. Who knows I may dig the TLC2272 too. Chances are... :)

oldguy
February 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Just thought I'd revive this after remembering how it all started.............

I've still got ol' number one. After you started offering them for sale, that is.
Use it often, never had it falter, stumble, complain, of fail to do it's job.
DVM, you must have had it right the very second time.:AOK
(as I remember you built a proto and I got the second one you built?)

Spudman
February 9th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I've got number 4. It's fun trying out the different chips that came with it.

sunvalleylaw
February 9th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I love my Mk. II model. I have no idea what number it was. But it is a good one! Thanks for re-loading this one OG!

duhvoodooman
February 10th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I have no idea what number it was.You have #20 of the Mark II version, Steve. It's written on the inside of the back cover plate.

Yep, I still have #000 of the original ZYS version, the prototype. It's pretty much retired--I use my Mark II version now--but I'd never give it up. Photo:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/zys_final.jpg

sumitomo
February 10th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'm glad I got in on this before you put down the iron.I was always meaning to get one of these as I really dig my Rodent.Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
February 10th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I got numbah 3! So what's different about Mark II?

sunvalleylaw
February 10th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'm glad I got in on this before you put down the iron.I was always meaning to get one of these as I really dig my Rodent.Sumi:D

So you have one on order with one of his last build spots? Cool! You will love it. Great companion to the Rodent.

I got numbah 3! So what's different about Mark II?

There is a whole thread on it somewhere. Smaller box for one thing, and a few extra options I think.

duhvoodooman
February 10th, 2011, 01:14 PM
So what's different about Mark II?Click & All Shall Be Revealed (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/zys_mkII.htm)....