PDA

View Full Version : stick with my old one, or buy a new one?

pie_man_25
February 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
yeah, I've already got a fender jazz bass, so I don't really need another bass.
But it's kinda beat up and the finish is worn off in places in the neck, I just want some advice on whether I should refinish it, or just buy another one. And if I should get another one, then which one should I get?

Spudman
February 26th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't bother refinishing it. Just make sure that all the places that you touch while playing the bass are nice and smooth to the touch. Think of it as an old, well work coat. Very comfy and you know it well.
Refinishing jobs can have the effect of devaluing the instrument. Collectors look for that lovingly well worn look and feel. Just make sure that is feels good to you and is sound in all other regards. Who knows...you might even find money in the pocket.;)

pie_man_25
March 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
thanks a lot man, I'm just worried about the neck though, causeit's finish is off in some small places and the humidity in my town is crazy!

Big K
March 4th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I have a friend who uses Tung oil as a finish on the necks of everything he has (sands all his necks naked) and maintain's the finish with lemon oil about once a month. He puts between 3>4 coats of tung oil on, one coat every 24 hours and hits them lightly with some X-fine steel wool or an x-fine scotchbrite pad between coats. Makes the neck quick! But thats in Colorado if your on the ocean you may need more protection...

tot_Ou_tard
March 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I have a friend who ... (sands all his necks naked) ...
Jeez & we thought making pancakes was bad! :p :D :p

Spudman
March 4th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I have a friend who uses Tung oil as a finish on the necks of everything he has (sands all his necks naked) and maintain's the finish with lemon oil about once a month. He puts between 3>4 coats of tung oil on, one coat every 24 hours and hits them lightly with some X-fine steel wool or an x-fine scotchbrite pad between coats. Makes the neck quick! But thats in Colorado if your on the ocean you may need more protection...

+1 for this remedy. It works well and is easy to do and inexpensive.

Big_Rob
March 7th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I would leave the worn parts of your bass alone. And in a few years you'll have a nice "for real" relec look

r_a_smith3530
March 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM
yeah, I've already got a fender jazz bass, so I don't really need another bass.
But it's kinda beat up and the finish is worn off in places in the neck, I just want some advice on whether I should refinish it, or just buy another one. And if I should get another one, then which one should I get?

Hey, it's starting to build Mojo, leave it alone!

pie_man_25
March 30th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Hey, it's starting to build Mojo, leave it alone!
what exactly is mojo?

Duff
April 1st, 2007, 12:16 AM
I just got an epi Goth Thunderbird IV bass for my son. He has a nice Fender '87 Jazz bass. The Thunderbird sounds and looks really good to me. Looks like excellent build quality too. Plus it has that totally different look compared to the jazz bass. Also, it looks way better in your hands than it does in the pictures. That piano black finish is nice. I'm positive that the new item is stimulating his creative development.

pie_man_25
April 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
I just got an epi Goth Thunderbird IV bass for my son. He has a nice Fender '87 Jazz bass. The Thunderbird sounds and looks really good to me. Looks like excellent build quality too. Plus it has that totally different look compared to the jazz bass. Also, it looks way better in your hands than it does in the pictures. That piano black finish is nice. I'm positive that the new item is stimulating his creative development.

no offense man, but I'm boycotting epiphones now, I boght an epi SG and it fell apart like a chinese motorcycle! And I'd like to say that, since the left brain is dedicated to achademics, like mathemiatics and memorie, and the right brain is dedicated to more athletic things like sports and hand-eye co-ordination. Music exercises both at the same time, giving the sides a balance in exercise, and increasing the general intelligence and mental activitie in the musician.

Duff
April 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM
Funny you say that about the SG. My son checked out a couple SG basses. He didn't like either one of them at all. I thought they looked great but he said they didn't play the way he likes. He said the build quality looked poor.

pie_man_25
April 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Funny you say that about the SG. My son checked out a couple SG basses. He didn't like either one of them at all. I thought they looked great but he said they didn't play the way he likes. He said the build quality looked poor.

no, not the bass, the guitar, I wanted something humbucking to sound cleaner than my old dana telecaster copy, so I bought the SG and it just fell apart, sounded like crap and never sounded good. I got rid of it mostly because my father has a '73 SG special, and I would have gotten one of the les pauls, but all the emos in the city play them and my band needed a bassist anyways, so I picked up bass, with the fender, which no other bassist in my WHOLE TOWN use. And I'm really surprised at the construction, I thought the neck wouldn't last the first week of spring, when the humidity is worst, but I'm still using it, although I still need to adjust the action a tiny bit.
This thing is a ROCK!!!