PDA

View Full Version : Singing and Playing

MagicBaller21
January 4th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Can any of you play and sing at the same time? I for one, cannot! the only song i can play and sing at the same time is Yardbirds- For Your Love... While playing, i cant even answer yes or no questions without messing up. Are there any types of practices to help with singing and playing at the same time? Is it something that comes with experience? or does it have to be learned?

Spudman
January 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM
MBaller.
I used to have the same problem. It took me a long time to figure it out. What I did was to not copy the original phrasing of the song I was covering but started to switch it so that it was more comfortable and natural feeling for me. I just experimented a lot and did it A LOT! Also of importance was doing my own songs. I would take cereal boxes, letters to chicks, newspaper articles or whatever and then sing them to what ever rhythm I came up with. It made it hard to get it wrong that way and it gave me confidence that I could get a groove going and not stumble trying to cop someone else's phrasing.

Another thing I did was to put down the guitar and get a metronome and/or drum machine and start singing to the beat. I would try singing the same phrase ahead of the beat a little bit (rush it), on top of the beat (dead on), and behind the beat (drag). Just experiment but do it untill your eyes pop out or you turn 40 years old. Then you'll have it for sure. If you are already 40 then, hmmmm.......

All this time you should be getting rhythym really programed into your picking/strumming hand so that you can't loose the beat no matter what. Try thumping on what ever you can find with your hands during the times that you can't play guitar. Whatever you can think to do to become a HUMAN RHYTHM MACHINE! Then it's easy.....well, some of the time ;-)

Iago
January 5th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Try singing "in your head" whenever you're playing. When there's singing in a fast riff part, try it slow at first, both riff and singing, 'till you're feeling comfortable.

Tone2TheBone
January 5th, 2006, 11:25 AM
This is a great topic. Just this past weekend during New Years Eve I was handed an acoustic and asked to play a variety of songs people yelled out to me. While I was able to fill their fix of songs I was forced to explain to them that I could not sing and play at the same time. I would give anything if I could. I can oooooo and ahhhhhh and la la laaaa sure in harmony...but lead vocals while playing still eludes me. I suppose I should practice.

MagicBaller21
January 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
yeah tone!! i feel ya! i see guys that are playing and singing with ease, and im just in awe (when they play difficult riffs and sing). i went to a show a few weeks ago, and it was kinda a comedy band, and i could prolly do the same thing, if i could only sing and play!

Robert
January 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM
It can be done, with lots of practice and repitition. I'm with Spudman. Keep at it, and eventually it'll come easier and easier. Just don't be afraid to let others hear your moanin' vocals!

tremoloman
January 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I recommend starting with a song that's easy to sing and play at the same time to. For me, Motorhead's version of Jumping Jack Flash (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/wma-pop-up/-/B00005OAGO001013/002-6750101-9028013) was the first song I could sing & play at the same time to. My voice isn't as harsh as Lemmy's, but it got me started. Then I did Judas Priest's Living After Midnight (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/wma-pop-up/-/B000002AHN001002/002-6750101-9028013) and so on. It just takes practice and patience.