PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Keyboards...

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I'm thinking of getting one for my oldest daughter for her birfday. She wants to learn how to play. I don't need anything expensive, just functional. I see several 61 touch sensitive key units all over the place. Almost all have some sequencing option and ways to achieve different polyphonic synth sounds as well. Do any of you 'pee anner' players have something to suggest?

Spudman
February 27th, 2007, 07:31 PM
The Casio LK (lighted key) models are pretty cool. Midi, internal songs, sounds, rhythms and the keys will light to make learning easier as songs play. The lighted key function can be turned off. They aren't very much $ and sometimes you can get a really good deal on a B stock which is what we did for our daughter.

Jimi75
February 28th, 2007, 02:23 AM
We went CASIO for my little niece, too!
Don't ask me which model exactly, but from my knowledge it was a perfect instrument for beginners with lots od features for a superb price.

Check the Casio site and the description of the new models . they are really awesome.

SuperSwede
February 28th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Both Casio and Roland have some nice beginner keyboards. The Casio keyboards are usually easier to operate, while Rolands might be a little bit better sounding imho.

warren0728
February 28th, 2007, 05:55 AM
ours is a casio also....i would suggest getting one with a full size keyboard though (88 keys not 61)...i did quite a bit of research at the time and the casio's always came out as best bang for the buck.

Just make sure you get the weighted keyboards or she will have a really hard time transitioning to an acoustic piano.

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Great suggestions you guys thank you! Warren - what 88 key Casio do you have? And what do you mean by weighted keyboard?

warren0728
February 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM
i have the Privia PX-300...it is a couple of years old.

Weighted keys have the same feel as an acoustic piano....it is needed for your fingers to develop the correct muscle memory when playing. A lot of keyboards don't "feel" like a piano....they feel like a keyboard.

When looking around play the ones that are weighted and then one that is not and you will feel the difference.

ww

Tone2TheBone
February 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM
i have the Privia PX-300...it is a couple of years old.

Weighted keys have the same feel as an acoustic piano....it is needed for your fingers to develop the correct muscle memory when playing. A lot of keyboards don't "feel" like a piano....they feel like a keyboard.

When looking around play the ones that are weighted and then one that is not and you will feel the difference.

ww

Oh weighted KEYS I gotcha. I thought you meant the actual keyboard. hahaha

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Oh weighted KEYS I gotcha. I thought you meant the actual keyboard. hahaha

The weighted 88 key Yamahas are also supposed to be a good value with good modeling options, according to the local store that carries both Casios and Yamahas, run by a piano teacher.

MPsound
March 1st, 2007, 02:21 AM
At the low end, I've always been partial to Yamaha keyboards for sound. As far as keys - a 76 or even 88 would allow more room to grow, then again 61 may be fine to start. Weighted keys are nice if she wants to move more towards the piano side of "keyboard" playing, else regular touch sensitive you mentioned. Depends on if she wants the piano feel/action or not - I'm not a piano player, but rather a keyboard so I would not like weighted keys. In the lower price range, I believe many will say the Yamaha keys will have the nicer feel/touch - including myself. That is a big point to consider with keyboards.

The "portable" home models are fine, like the Yamaha PSR's. Yamaha's Grand Piano sample will sound much better than many others. I have a PSR-550 and love it. I run it through a good home stereo system and get awesome sound. My Dad runs his PSR through a keyboard amp.

The Yamahas have some learning/training modes (Interactive Yamaha Education Suite) that I have never used but may be worth looking at.

I'd stick with a 32 note polyphony board as a minimum.

I believe this is one of Yamaha's newest models, PSR-E303, amazing what features you can get for around $160. Even has Yamaha's XGlite sounds, and a 2 track sequencer. Check it out.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%253D49083%2526CTID%253D205000,00.html

Tone2TheBone
March 1st, 2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks MPsound I'll check the Yamahas out also.

Btw what's the average piano lesson....a half hour a week or something? An hour? What's the average rate?

MPsound
March 3rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
You're welcome Tone. I'm not sure on the lessons... around my area I see guitar lessons going for $22-$29 a half hour, a little less if you pay for them up front by the month or more at a time.