PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fancy a glass of wine?

Lev
February 28th, 2007, 04:42 AM
http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=166

warren0728
February 28th, 2007, 05:50 AM
naw...i'm waiting for the version that comes with some nice single malt.....

ww

Lev
February 28th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I'm waiting for the Guinness Strat! Creamy tones and and dark black finish! I'd say those Fender Custom Shop guys just sit around thinking about what freebies they can get from other companies "Oh, I need a new car, lets call up Ford and make a custom shop Ford Strat"

duhvoodooman
February 28th, 2007, 06:01 AM
I like Strats and I like wine, but this still reeks of elitist BS. "...the Merlot is feisty..."??? Oh, please--spare me! :rolleyes:

Spudman
February 28th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Perfect! Just what every alcoholic guitarist needs.:rolleyes:

Robert
February 28th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Haha, this whole idea is somewhat ludicrous! Yeah, Spud makes a good point!

Plank_Spanker
February 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I like Strats and I like wine, but this still reeks of elitist BS. "...the Merlot is feisty..."??? Oh, please--spare me! :rolleyes:

It IS elitist BS.........................................

marnold
February 28th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm waiting for the Guinness Strat! Creamy tones and and dark black finish!
You mean like this one (http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=671)? OK, so it's a '51, but still . . .

Lev
February 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM
You mean like this one (http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=671)? OK, so it's a '51, but still . . .

Nice, great find Marnold - the headstock is a beer mat too far though!

Plank_Spanker
February 28th, 2007, 12:32 PM
From another board:

"A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Fender table wines. This is a pity as many fine American Guitar wines appeal not only to the Fender palate but also to the wine cognoscenti of the lower-midwest.

Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Seattle Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Belch claret, whilst the Tennesee Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Junior Johnston , which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Chatanooga Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is 68 Telecaster Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is Newark Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an Goomba's armpit."

Danzego
February 28th, 2007, 12:57 PM
This wine guitar is something else....especially the dude who runs the show over at the wine company. I love his whole spiel, especially how his "unique" soil makes it hard for the grapes to grow, which gives them some special character, or all of his other crazy lines. Where do people learn to talk like that? My favorite, which he ends off with:

"Eldred said many people are “asking if they could just buy a bottle of the wine.”

“We can’t compromise the integrity of the project, but the wine is available on a limited basis at only two place in the world now, and that’s Tarbell’s in Scottsdale, Ariz., and the Napa Rose in Anaheim, Calif.,” Eldred said."

Yeah.....integrity. Sorry for the rant, but these "sophisto" types really get on my nerves.

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2007, 01:09 PM
The "integrity"???? If the wine is any good, doesn't it stand on it's own? Likewise the guitar. Nice enough color I suppose. I guess he means the exclusivity so that rich people will buy the packaged together products at these two "exclusive" places because they are exclusive, not because of the merits or lack thereof.

Plank_Spanker
February 28th, 2007, 01:21 PM
It's just another "glass case guitar" with the added hook of ballyhooed wine..................So Biff can impress Tad and regale him with the cost and rarity of the guitar and wine.......................

.............it has nothing to do with real guitar playing.

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I always wish companies I otherwise like would not do this stuff. But I suppose these sales help support the company that sells working instruments to musicians. Up here in SV, we have auctions and such that involve wine and other novelty items that resemble this, along with some really cool stuff. The auctions often benefit good causes and I suppose have a purpose. Does not mean I have to like it though.

Ro3b
February 28th, 2007, 02:36 PM
This wine guitar is something else....especially the dude who runs the show over at the wine company. I love his whole spiel, especially how his "unique" soil makes it hard for the grapes to grow, which gives them some special character, or all of his other crazy lines.

That's a pretty well-known fact in viticulture. Gravelly or chalky soil=hard times for grape vines=small concentrated fruit=fuller-flavored wine. Which is why wine grown in one area tastes different from wine grown in another. I agree it is kind of silly to fetishize it though.

Terroir aside, $1,000 a bottle is pretty steep. What does the guitar + half case cost, I wonder?

warren0728
February 28th, 2007, 03:06 PM
i'm in the advertising biz and i just don't see how a bottle of wine will sell guitars (unless you get prospective buyers drunk off the wine first and then close the sale) :DR :D

ww

marnold
February 28th, 2007, 05:29 PM
From another board:
I'm glad to see that there are other Monty Python fans out there. For those who don't know, it's a slightly revised version of their "Australian Table Wines" bit from one of their records.

duhvoodooman
February 28th, 2007, 07:27 PM
i'm in the advertising biz and i just don't see how a bottle of wine will sell guitars (unless you get prospective buyers drunk off the wine first and then close the sale)
"Hey, dude, I just got my new Strat and a case of wine! C'mon over--we'll get ****-faced and jam for a while!!" :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Spudman
February 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Not to be out done...Gibson is now offering a platinum needle and spoon with the purchase of their "Rock Star Les Paul."

warren0728
February 28th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Not to be out done...Gibson is now offering a platinum needle and spoon with the purchase of their "Rock Star Les Paul."
now that's funny.....i don't care who you are!! :D :D

ww

Iago
February 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I would rather just get that nice box (and the wine of course)..
and a more conservative looking strat, Im old-fashioned regarding guitars :D

sunvalleylaw
February 28th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah, Iago, I agree. I prefer more of a clean, retro look in a Strat. That one looks like one of those dolled up caddies. I was going to say champagne, but I guess it's more a cab/merlot.

SuperSwede
March 1st, 2007, 04:03 AM
I think I will wait and purchase Squiers Winecaster instead. It comes with a bag-in-box of the finest Chateu le Miserable.

warren0728
March 1st, 2007, 05:43 AM
i wasn't going to say anything yet because negotiations are still going on....but i'm working on a deal with fender to create a special pancake edition of the beloved telecaster....i will keep you posted :D http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-002.gif

ww

tot_Ou_tard
March 1st, 2007, 07:43 AM
i wasn't going to say anything yet because negotiations are still going on....but i'm working on a deal with fender to create a special pancake edition of the beloved telecaster....i will keep you posted :D http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-002.gif

ww

Sticky Fingers indeed! :D

I would rather just get that nice box (and the wine of course)..
and a more conservative looking strat, Im old-fashioned regarding guitars :D
I stumbled across one of those in a guitar store once. I liked the color (nice wood grain through the finish). It wouldn't be my first choice, but I think that there are too many tobacco-burst strats around. The ballyhoo, however, was tedious.

You clearly cannot play the blues with a merlot-stained guitar, even if you kill a man in memphis with one of the bottles.

Plank_Spanker
March 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM
You clearly cannot play the blues with a merlot-stained guitar, even if you kill a man in memphis with one of the bottles.

LOL!!! :D

Needs beer and whiskey stains.......................and maybe a few cigarette burns to play the blues...................;)

Danzego
March 1st, 2007, 08:59 AM
i wasn't going to say anything yet because negotiations are still going on....but i'm working on a deal with fender to create a special pancake edition of the beloved telecaster....i will keep you posted

I don't mean to spoil any announcements, but let me guess....the only color it will come in will be Natural, yes? :eek:

Ah, indeed. But douse it in Ripple and that's a completely different story. :cool:

warren0728
March 1st, 2007, 01:10 PM
I don't mean to spoil any announcements, but let me guess....the only color it will come in will be Natural, yes?
LMAO!! :D :D

that's funny i don't care who you are!!

ww

LagrangeCalvert
March 29th, 2007, 10:44 AM
So if fender releases a super uber wine deal that costs a million trillion dollars, that means Gibson releases the Needle and spoon hard rocker edition. Not to be outdone, the econo lines (epi and others) MIGHT just come out with the Crack ROCKin guitar with custom glass "rock" pipe. It doubles as a slide :/

Danzego
March 29th, 2007, 11:47 PM
So if fender releases a super uber wine deal that costs a million trillion dollars, that means Gibson releases the Needle and spoon hard rocker edition. Not to be outdone, the econo lines (epi and others) MIGHT just come out with the Crack ROCKin guitar with custom glass "rock" pipe. It doubles as a slide :/

My guitar and I take offense to that. I think you have Epiphones confused with the guitars you see in Target or something like that. Now THAT'S a crackpipe guitar. :confused:

Epi's are actually rather nice nowadays, especially when you get in the $400 and above range. They're just like low grade grass or something along those lines- you just have to use twice as much to get the same effect. :cool:

LagrangeCalvert
March 30th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I own 2 of them. Im not saying there horrible guitars I have poured 500 dollars into my epiphone les paul special 2 - and since you know epi's then you obviously know its a 130 dollar guitar - because I love it so much. I would put it up against any gibson any day of the week. I also have a MIM strat (the 50's edt.) and with the mods I have done to it, it plays as good if not better than a MIA or custom shoppe fender. I will post pics for you.

Comparing the PRICE of the two guitars is what I was getting at, not the quality or anything along those lines.

www.myspace.com/evanisyourenemy

thats my page you can see my rig (an older pic before I modded the two heads) and some older pics of my guitars. As you see the Crackpipe epi has sperzerl delux SS locking tuners. An LSR roller nut, a Seymour duncan alnico pro 2 flat strat pup in the neck, a SD pearly gates in the bridge. A stop tail piece thats brass , painted black. 300K pots. The frets are dunlop 6120 med. jumbo's that have been dressed to 32 thousandths and I put a satin fininsh on the neck thrugh wet sanding and a buffing wheel.

Dont get me started in whats all done to the strat now.

That brings me to the summation of this: You can make damn near ANY guitar a masterpiece with enough talent and forethought.

Danzego
March 30th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Ah, ok...price. Gotcha. I didn't think it like that since I don't judge by price. Not just because of overpriced limited edition guitars like this thread is about, but mostly because of Gibsons and Epiphones. I even saw an interview within the last couple months where the CEO/President/whatever of Gibson was talking at a college and stated how they raised their prices for no reason other than to give the perception that their guitars are like "boutique guitars" or some crap like that.

*sighs* I remember the late 90's and early 90's, where Gibsons were considered a top notch working man's guitar and not some "boutique guitar" which they're trying to make it now. Their quality was much better back then, too. :(