PDA

View Full Version : Toneport quick test clip

Robert
February 28th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Here's a quick test clip I made. 3 guitar tracks - using my Squier Tele.

Toneport UX1 3 guitars demo (http://www.box.net/public/static/sivsnijz7n.mp3)

:o :( :D

Spudman
February 28th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Ya, I can tell you'll be having a good time with that. Next, all you have to do is to learn to play the guitar and you'll be rocking.:rolleyes:

I'm happy for you and your new toy (or in case the wife is reading - essential promotional and composition tool).:)

Jimi75
February 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Wooooooooow! That sounded très cool!
I hear you have your fun with the Toneport!

What amph were the sounds based on?

Robert
February 28th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I AM working on my chops! I sound the same regardless, don't I?

I knew you were going to ask that, Jimi. I'm not tellin'.

helliott
February 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Really cool sound here. Is the Tone Port a Line 6 product of something else?
Sure has a nice big, wide-open amp sound. Of course, great sound doesn't mean much without great playing, but you seem to have that covered in spades.

Robert
February 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM
It's a Line 6 product. That Gearbox software you use with it is really fantastic. I love it. Very addictive!

Thanks for the compliments! I will try something more "complete" sometime when I find time...

M29
February 28th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hello Robert,

Sounds great! This is somewhat of a different sound from you. I am used to the blues which sounds great but this is awesome as well. Sweet! Thanks for sharing.

M29

snarph
February 28th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Why you son of " BLEEP " and he says hes working on his chops!!!! :) :)

Robert
February 28th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks everyone, recording is fun!

The amp models... okay well I don't have a good memory. I used the 1968 jump Plexi Marshall for the lead. Bassman for one rhythm and a Citrus D-30 for the other rhythm. Not sure what amp that is? Orange I hear. Sounds great for crunchy rhythm.

Jimi75
March 1st, 2007, 03:13 AM
Yeah, I AM working on my chops! I sound the same regardless, don't I?

I knew you were going to ask that, Jimi. I'm not tellin'.

Oh d@mn it - I knew you wouldn't tell :)

By the way, your playing sounds totally great and you got your own style going Rob!

I will have to check that Citrus a little more.....

SuperSwede
March 1st, 2007, 04:00 AM
Nice clip Robert! Sounds great :)

Btw, please record something with the Jazz Chorus amp! I´d love to hear how it sounds.

Danzego
March 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM
Nice clip Robert! Sounds great :)

Btw, please record something with the Jazz Chorus amp! I´d love to hear how it sounds.

I agree..or something, you know, really clean and thick and "tubey" sounding (a la SRV).

The reason I ask is because I've been kind of going back and forth on selling my GNX3 and have been looking at the PODXT as an alternative. Don't get me wrong- the GNX is great and I've heard some really nice custom sounds created for the thing, but I hear all of these POD sounds online that seem a little more what I'm looking for (the Tonelab sounds better of course, but it just doesn't have the variety and ability to mimic so many famous sounds, which is half the fun, IMO).

If I'm not mistaken, the Toneport is basically a USB interface that contains all the POD software sounds and just offloads all of the hardware work onto your computer, right? The thing is, I've heard tales told of a certain fizziness, latency, and digital thinness when it comes to POD's and I was wondering how true this is (anyone else who uses POD's, feel free to chime in...please :) ).

What I've heard so far on other sites and definitely this clip here doesn't sound too bad, though. :)

Lev
March 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM
The thing is, I've heard tales told of a certain fizziness, latency, and digital thinness when it comes to POD's and I was wondering how true this is (anyone else who uses POD's, feel free to chime in...please :) ).

What I've heard so far on other sites and definitely this clip here doesn't sound too bad, though. :)

I too have heard these reports but haven't experienced it on my POD - I think having the latest firmware installed helps a lot. Also the equipment you use it with will have a major impact on the end result - you can't stick it in front a of a tube amp and expect all the models to sound good. EQing the PODs output with the input of your recording device and/or amp/monitors is key to eliminating any fizziness in my experience.

sunvalleylaw
March 1st, 2007, 10:40 AM
I don't know anything about the tech of all this but just want to chime in and say that I personally like this tone better than the NuMetal and HiGain clips. Not that the other clips/tones were not good. I just like this better.

Robert
March 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
My Toneport doesn't have any fizziness or latency or digital thinness problems. Well, it's not the same as a high quality tube amp in sound in my ears, but good enough for most people.

The Toneport does all its magic through the computer, and since I haven't played the standalone POD's, I can't say anything about how similar they sound and behave.

Steve, those were video clips, so I think that a dedicated recording solution like this should definitely sound better. I also had fresh strings on my Tele for the Toneport recording, unlike the Vox video clips... :eek:

Hogfullofblues
March 3rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
Very sweet Robert! I bet with your all your knowhow you will be dialing in some great tones. Don't forget to share now!

Dan, I've only run the Pod thru my budget laptop, but never had any of those problems.

tot_Ou_tard
March 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Robert, I get an "error on page" message. :( Any idea what's wrong?

Robert
March 3rd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Should be working, I just tested it myself. Try again and let me know if it works.