PDA

View Full Version : XM Satellite Radio ROCKS!

Nelskie
January 5th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Not sure how many of our forum members have satellite radio at home, or in their vehicles. I purchased a Delphi XM Skyfi II unit last April, and it was one of the wisest, and most enjoyable musical purchases I've made in awhile. Yes, besides the investment in the actual hardware, you have a monthly subscription fee to pay. But it basically breaks down to something like .42 cents a day for the subscription, which is pretty miniscule for high-quality digital entertainment.

So what's it like? Well, imagine this: radio that plays what YOU like - not whatever format suits their marketing needs. As for the type of stuff you'd hear on satellite radio, I'll use this as an example: When was the last time you heard Rory Gallagher's "Walk On Hot Coals" (the live "Irish Tour" version) on the regular radio? Or the Savoy Brown's classic "Nobody's Perfect"? How about NEVER! I just heard both of them this morning on XM's "Deep Tracks" back-to-back!! (Ch. 40) Yeah, killer stuff for sure!

Besides an unbelievable line-up of music (usually organized by genre or period), there's exclusive live performances by some of rock's best artists, special programming, talk radio, sports - everything! And perhaps BEST of all - NO annoying commercials, NO annoying local radio personalities, and NO silly on-site remotes. Just great radio programming that you can have on, and enjoy all the time! XM and Sirius are the big players in the satellite radio market at the present time, and both have some pretty decent program / music line-ups.

If you're like me, and grew up listening to the radio, this is the absolute best thing going! Since I've gotten XM, I've heard a ton of awesome stuff that I hadn't heard in a long time, even some that I hadn't heard in 20-30 years! And new music - wow - where do I begin? Satellite radio had really re-kindled my interest in music in general, and has opened up a number of doors as far as playing material goes. Like you hear something, and think, "Gee, that'd be cool to play". Next thing you know, you've downloaded the song off of E-tunes, and you're strumming along to it on your favorite guitar. Waaaaayyy cool!

Anyways - just something our forum members might like to check out.

Tim
January 5th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Nelskie– I have been eyeballing the XM radios for about 6 months now. We have a good smooth jazz radio station that plays cool music. Recently it has started to play some raunchy advertisements during air time. This makes it tough to listen to it at work or at home when the grandchildren are over visiting. Then the same commercials are played like 10 times an hour. XM sounds like the way to go. You’r ahead of the power curve my friend.

I think I may have to ask for one for my birthday, which is in March. I understand they make ones that you can take from the car and also use it in the home or office.

Nelskie
January 5th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Yup. The XM Roady 2 is designed to do both effectively. It has a built-in FM modulator, so it'll broadcast to any frequency on your car's FM radio. I also checked out my XM program card, and there's (6) different jazz stations - stuff from classic jazz, to acid jazz, to modern - so if you're a jazz-hound, you should have plenty to choose from! :)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
January 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM
.. no doubt its the deal.... nelskie , you old hound ..bringing up savoy brown ... hellbound train is one of all time favourite british rock tunes ... i've been checking out xm on internet for a couple of years and it rocks i love deep tracks actually heard graham edge band doing paradise ball room , my all time favourite obscure album , check them out ,,, adrian gurvitz played on that one ... 6S9L

Nelskie
January 5th, 2006, 07:28 PM
"Hellbound Train"!!! Yes indeed, that's some fine stuff. I heard Hydra's "Rock The World" a few days ago, from like '77. Remember Hydra??!! Now THERE'S a nugget. My friend's older brother had that LP, and used to rock out to it all the time. He had a pretty decent stereo, too - a Marantz Gold Receiver, with a B & O turntable, Carvin 150W power amp, running through (4) huge Klipsch speakers. I think I'm gonna' try and score that Hydra LP through an internet source, cuz' it's out of print! XM is the bomb!