PDA

View Full Version : "Now the Star-Belly Sneetches..."

Tone2TheBone
March 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
..."had bellies with stars. The Plain-Belly Sneetches had none upon thars".

Dr. Seuss born this day 3/2/1904

died 9/24/1991

a true visionary.

tot_Ou_tard
March 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
D@mn straight Tonie-Wan-Kanobi!!!!

duhvoodooman
March 2nd, 2007, 11:47 AM
I agree.....100%! :D

Spudman
March 2nd, 2007, 02:23 PM
As I witness unbridled consumption I always think about the Truffula Trees.

sunvalleylaw
March 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Luckily, I have kids in the relevant age group, which means we read Ted Geisel's work all the time. His Birthday Bird book is a birthday tradition. Ah, to live in Katroo!

tot_Ou_tard
March 4th, 2007, 05:57 PM
In honor of ol' Ted, I picked up the book

"The SEUSS, the whole SEUSS, and nothing but the SEUSS: A Visual biography of Theodore Seuss Geisel" by Charles D Cohen

at the public library today. I've seen most of the pictures before (I saw an orginal art exhibit). The work for the magazines Life, Judge etc, the commercial work for Flit & Esso & the stuff leading up to WWII. But this book is filled with interesting facts such as:

Ted was the editor of the Dartmouth paper Jack-O-Latern. He was relieved of his title a few months before he graduated for throwing a rowdy alcoholic party. This was during Prohibition. It wasn't so much the bathtub gin (authorities were known to look the other way) it was that the next day was Easter Sunday. He continued to publish uncredited drawings & stories however.

tot_Ou_tard
March 4th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Has anyone ever seen the strange live action film Dr Seuss made in the 1950's?

The 5000 Fingers of Dr T.

A strange tale about kids forced to play piano by an evil crazy man. I rented it & watched it with my kids about a dozen years ago.

Nothing like the Seuss that you are all familiar with & yet still so Seussian.