PDA

View Full Version : Boss RC-2 Noise

MPsound
March 3rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
I’m currently running the RC-2 in front of the AD30VT, then the Bad Monkey, DS-1, and a PlanetWaves Tuner to the guitar. If I leave the RC-2 on a phrase location (1-11) that has a loop saved, even with the loop stopped and the level controls for both the phrase and guide (drums) all the way off (tap/tempo button blinking in time), and then run the AD30VT on a high gain model (preset with master 3/4 and power full) I hear significant noise somewhat oscillating in time with the RC-2 rhythm guide, sort of a high pitch noise also. Anyone else with an RC-2 experience that?

I am powering the RC-2 with a 1Spot. If I place the RC-2 in front of the Monkey and DS-1 – no noise at all.

Spudman
March 3rd, 2007, 11:13 PM
Hmmmm. I noticed the same thing with the RC20XL.

Mine was caused by 3 things. First was inadequate amperage to the RC20. Second was if using batteries and they got weak. Third was using an unfiltered AC adapter.

If your pedal chain is long and all the pedals are on, the draw on the adapter may not leave enough clean power for the RC2.

Batteries dying do strange things to the sound of the looper.

Definitely use a dedicated AC adapter with at least 300ma output for the RC2. Make sure it is a quality unit like an Ibanez or Boss as these are filtered.

Try running the RC2 in the troublesome position in the effects chain, but use batteries in your other effects with the Onespot just for the RC2. Then see if the problem persists. If it's gone then you need another adapter, maybe.

Experiment with different combinations of pedals powered with the Onespot, but leave the RC2 in the position before the amp where you notice the problem. See if a certain combination or addition of a particular pedal makes the problem come back.

Mine went away when I got a filtered 500ma supply just for the looper and used my 300ma for the rest of my pedals. I have all my pedals before the Loop Station with no clock noise now.

Tone2TheBone
March 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM
Spud's right....get a dedicated power supply for the RC unit. Any other wall wart will cause that occillating high pitched electrical noise. It will also do it when you daisy chain off your other pedals even if you use the Boss adapter. The looper needs it's own power supply.

MPsound
March 7th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the great tips. I experimented with powering the RC-2 alone with the 1Spot and running the other pedals by battery. That reduced the noise oscillating with the looper rhythm pattern significantly, and eliminated the higher pitch noise. As soon as I have a chance I plan to try the Boss AC adapter on the RC-2 and the 1Spot back on the other pedals. I’ve read some mixed reviews on Musicians Friend for the Boss PSA-120 adapter – have you guys had good luck with them?

Some suggest the Danelectro Zero Hum for half the cost. Both of these are only 200mA though (same with the Ibanez) - I believe the RC-2 needs 140mA. Should I just stick with the Boss?

The cost difference is not an issue if I can get rid of the noise.

Tone2TheBone
March 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Dunno...I have the PSA 120 for my looper and no problems. Then again like I said I had to run that PSA by itself to the RC-2 cause of the whirling noise from coming off multiple connections with another adapter. What kind of mixed reviews did it get anyway?

sunvalleylaw
March 7th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I just go my looper (RC20XL, used from HC) a week or so ago, and have been figuring it out a little. What fun! Time just flies as I try to jam along. I had been on batts, and no noise. Got a one spot with the extender for all my pedals, and included the looper. Some of the same noise you guys are talking about, but maybe not as pronounced. It especially happens as the looper loads up a saved loop before I play it. Unplugged the looper from the Onespot, and the noise cleans right up. It would be cool if the Danelectro for half would work, or I could get another Onespot. I am going to experiment with the Onespot plugged into the looper and not the other pedals next time I get to play with it. (might be a day or two) and see what happens. I will report. Let me know what you guys end up doing.