PDA

View Full Version : Telecaster (gas)

Big K
March 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM
recently sold my MiM Tele & a Strat copy cause I never picked them up and then DVM has to flash pics of his new Red Nashville causing me to bend over with intense GAS pain... (My wife will be so pleased) so now I'm contemplating in order of green: SX STL50 > Agile TC630 > Squire > Fender.. My plan is to purchase another plank and replace the pick guard with a 2 pickup Nashville style, GFS pickups, 5-way & push-pull pots. Needs are a maple fretboard and in order of preference: red, white or burst flavored body..
I do like a fairly thin neck which was mainly the reason for never playing the Tele I sold, the tone was killer, the neck was quick with a lot of figure in the wood but thicker than I like....

Any experience with any of these lesser cost varieties (I am pleased so far with my stock SX SST57) or other brands that make a Tele Style you have have had good luck with?

Brian Krashpad
May 15th, 2007, 09:03 AM
You might consider a used Peavey Reactor. These were made in USA in the 90's. I don't have one but have seen several people (whose opinions I trust) online say that they've found them to be good alternatives to "name-brand" Teles. I have the analogous Peavey USA Strat copy, a Predator, I bought off flea-bay for $100 USD. It's easily the equal of my prior MIM Fender Strat. The Reactor models seem to run a bit more than the Predators, you can get a USA Predator for a Benjamin no prob.

Big K
May 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
sweet; I'll check one of those out.....

Big K
May 20th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Browsing thru the Rondo site, noticed a Candy Apple Red with a Maple Neck (STL-50) I couldn't resist....since I sold one of my Fat Fully's was gassin' for a replacement....dang internet....:D

Brian Krashpad
May 20th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Browsing thru the Rondo site, noticed a Candy Apple Red with a Maple Neck (STL-50) I couldn't resist....since I sold one of my Fat Fully's was gassin' for a replacement....dang internet....:D

Cool, congrats!

Now we'll need some pix! ;)

Big K
May 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
looks like I received a good one, nice figure in the maple, nice flake paint, straight neck with no sprout..... electrically the neck pickup is rather dark in need of some snap/jangle... probably a neck pickup swap and a 4-way switch mod are in the future...

duhvoodooman
May 28th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Nice! I'm partial to red Tele's! ;) :D

Big K
May 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Nice! I'm partial to red Tele's! ;) :D

ya thanks a lot, your the one that got me gassin' with that good lookin' Nashville of yours.... since my SX Strat and Fat Fully (3 pickups) are getting dialed in I'm going to keep this piece a more traditional 2 pickup Tele. the neck pickup is kinda dark so I am thinking of a replacement yet to be determined to give it a more open glassy tone... was thinking of the GFS Fatbody but after reading some reviews it might be a little heavy for that twangy sound I'm chasin'....pickguard change to either a white or black pearl is in order so a change from a Tele style/sized to a strat equipped neck pickup is not out of the question..

any suggestions????????????

sunvalleylaw
May 28th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Sweet BigK! Looks great!
looks like I received a good one, nice figure in the maple, nice flake paint, straight neck with no sprout..... electrically the neck pickup is rather dark in need of some snap/jangle... probably a neck pickup swap and a 4-way switch mod are in the future...

Big K
May 28th, 2007, 09:55 PM
on second thought.... after playing the STL-50 through my AD30VT using the cleaner models with some volume the pickups start to come alive with some snap... playing softly made the pickups seem pretty thick...i can still roll back the volume to soften the sound... I'm very happy with this latest discovery....

tremoloman
May 29th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Wow... I think you made the right decision. That guitar looks hundreds of dollars more expensive than it is. If it plays as nice as it looks you got a bargain!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
May 29th, 2007, 10:46 AM
what Trem said +1... congrats

Big K
May 31st, 2007, 01:16 PM
the more I play it the more I feel it's as good a bargain as the Fully's were..... satisfied customer

Brian Krashpad
May 31st, 2007, 01:45 PM
Looks great, thanks for the pix!