PDA

View Full Version : School Recording Projects

jpfeifer
March 5th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Hi Guys,

I had the opportunity to work on a recording project for my daugter this weekend for her school social studies project. She was assigned the task to record a mock radio show from the era of the 1910-1920 and she asked me to help her with the recording. The kids had to write all of the material and include interviews with various people from the era, and include commercials for things that might have been around at that time, etc. I recorded her and her classmate's speaking segments and we made background music and sound effects for the different pieces. It was a blast and they all really enjoyed it. I think that we may have inspired a few kids to look at careers in media production. Some of them really got into it.

It was kind of fun to come up with little jingles for some of the commercials. We didn't do anything fancy, just basic parts using a general midi sound library, but it was fun writing these little tunes to try and make them fit the speaking parts.

-- Jim

Tone2TheBone
March 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Hey that's pretty cool Jim...what grade are the kids? My oldest is in Chorus right now and they recently had a performance last week. I read on a memo their teacher sent home that requested volunteers to help with the sound, lights etc. Dang had I read that in time I would have volunteered. As it was they had some of the older students doing everything and while it worked out...some of the production could have been better...and SAFER! Hardly any lights on the stage between songs and a few girls tripped over mic cables on the stage. Their lighting guy wasn't entirely skilled with the spot light! Working with kids is awesome good job Jim.

warren0728
March 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
sounds like a great project...any chance we might get to hear the finished project?

ww

jpfeifer
March 5th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hey that's pretty cool Jim...what grade are the kids? My oldest is in Chorus right now and they recently had a performance last week. I read on a memo their teacher sent home that requested volunteers to help with the sound, lights etc. Dang had I read that in time I would have volunteered. As it was they had some of the older students doing everything and while it worked out...some of the production could have been better...and SAFER! Hardly any lights on the stage between songs and a few girls tripped over mic cables on the stage. Their lighting guy wasn't entirely skilled with the spot light! Working with kids is awesome good job Jim.

Hi Tone,

These kids are in their second year of high school. They did a great good job on this. Most of the material was researched on the internet (wikipedia, etc), then they just wrote up some dialog between a radio interviewer and the subject to make it sound like a radio show. I tried to find as many sound effects as I could to sprinkle through the interviews. Some of them worked really well. I found a real cheesy analog synth sound that worked well for mimicing a Telegraph sound to use behind the "breaking news" segment. We also used the sound of airplanes and explosions during one part where they were interviewing a soldier.

-- Jim

Tone2TheBone
March 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Hi Tone,

These kids are in their second year of high school. They did a great good job on this. Most of the material was researched on the internet (wikipedia, etc), then they just wrote up some dialog between a radio interviewer and the subject to make it sound like a radio show. I tried to find as many sound effects as I could to sprinkle through the interviews. Some of them worked really well. I found a real cheesy analog synth sound that worked well for mimicing a Telegraph sound to use behind the "breaking news" segment. We also used the sound of airplanes and explosions during one part where they were interviewing a soldier.

-- Jim

That's great! I can imagine all of that. I agree with Warren about getting a chance to hear how it came out?