PDA

View Full Version : alnico V vs. Alnico II

Stratcrazy
March 5th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Who can tell me the difference tonally between the V and the II magnets? I am talking about single coil pickups. I am on the fence about my next purchase and love my Chubtones with V's. I may put some pups with II's in my other strat but am clueless. Any help out there?

t_ross33
March 5th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Check out the seymour duncan website. They have soundclips and samples of various p 'ups and a comparison chart (http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faqdescr.shtml#magnets) of alnico II, alnico V and ceramic.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Stratcrazy
March 6th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks man!! I am familiar with the duncan website and they have lame clips. Same riff different pickup and they all sound the same. I would expect much more from a company like this. I don't like pickup samples over a band (dimarzio) and I don't like the same lick for every pickup either. I had Duncan alinico II pros and thought they were kinda weak. Any help beyond this??

t_ross33
March 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM
In that case, I got nuttin' :o

sunvalleylaw
March 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks man!! . . .Any help beyond this??

Hey Stratcrazy!! Nice Avatar! Have you introduced yourself in the Player's Section? A hearty welcome in the meantime though from me. Tell us a little about your self and your strat(s)!! I am sure you will find lots of help here in this friendly place.

Steve :DR

Tone2TheBone
March 7th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks man!! I am familiar with the duncan website and they have lame clips. Same riff different pickup and they all sound the same. I would expect much more from a company like this. I don't like pickup samples over a band (dimarzio) and I don't like the same lick for every pickup either. I had Duncan alinico II pros and thought they were kinda weak. Any help beyond this??

Try one Al V pickup to see if you like it? You won't know unless you just try it for yourself...and if you do like it then you can buy the rest. My Dimarzio '55s and Virtual Vintage pups are Alnico V. They are extremely Stratty. :DR Generally Alnico Vs are more spanky than IIs. I think you'd dig 'em.

marnold
March 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I don't mind that Duncan uses the same riff, at least for the same class of pickups (e.g. vintage single coils, hum-canceling singlecoils, etc.) Using the same riff for a vintage single coil and a metal humbucker is a bit silly though. You are absolutely right in that there is very little difference between some of the clips.

Stratcrazy
March 7th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I have some Dimarzio Virtual Vintages in another guitar with a Fralin blend knob. I dig them a bunch and use them for gigging to avoid buzzing. They also match well with my Line 6 stuff. I think humbuckers sound WAY better in modeling situations than traditional single coils, but when I'm at home and go all tube....I love a good old buzzy squankin strat pup!! Thanks to all and I will get over to the palyers section soon. Peace out everyone and keep 'em comin!!

Tinky-Winky
March 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Generally, the higher the number, the brighter the sound - an alnico V will have a brighter sound than a 2 or 3, for example.