PDA

View Full Version : Now this is an amp

Big_Rob
March 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
The Crate BV600H, 600 watts of pure rock and roll power!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7mvH8wFdE

Heres what it looks like full stack

http://www.guitarworkshoponline.com/images/namm/namm05_006.jpg

Mark
March 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Yes but can I get good tone at bedroom levels.....LOL

Danzego
March 6th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Yeah.....too bad it's a Crate, huh? :p

Of course, going on my own past experience and using a scientific scale approach, that means that this amp should just about measure up to a Marshall 100 Watt in the volume department. ;)

Man, what else do I got? *thinks* :D

Danzego
March 6th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Ah, there's what I'm looking for. :D

Yes but can I get good tone at bedroom levels.....LOL

Of course. It's a Crate amp. It's only capable of good tones at bedroom levels. *drum hit* :cool:

--------

Jimi75
March 6th, 2007, 04:23 AM
What do those guys try to compensate with this "big thing"????

:D

Big_Rob
March 6th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Anyone remember the movie "Cheech and Chongs Second Movie" where Chong is playing his guitar so louud that Chong cant get into the house????

Thats what Id liken this amp to.

Bedroom levels hell, Its 600 watts! :DR

Tone2TheBone
March 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Last night I dreamt I was playing this amph.....now that's weird.

sunvalleylaw
March 6th, 2007, 10:04 AM
What do those guys try to compensate with this "big thing"????

:D

LOL!!! Kind of like the Monster Truck of amphs!! :DR

Spudman
March 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM
LOL!!! Kind of like the Monster Truck of amphs!! :DR

I hear they are going to try to jump it over 15 Vox AC30's. Should be a hoot!

ShortBuSX
March 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Whats wrong with Crate? I dont get it...I know they make mostly SS, but they do make some nice tube amps too.

I personally have owned a Crate GX-30m solid state that has suited me quite well for over a decade...and once I got my modeling pedal it suited me even better!

So whats wrong with Crate?

Tone2TheBone
March 6th, 2007, 02:37 PM
My first amp was an original Crate like this one...

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://minneapolis.backpage.com/centralimages/msp/32/325b1d07932cd767d6083e07a56962b5--1--CrateAmpJPG--large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://minneapolis.backpage.com/gyrobase/classifieds/Results%3Fsection%3D4380%26layout%3Ddetailed&h=853&w=640&sz=119&hl=en&start=246&tbnid=77oyDbMblpL7PM:&tbnh=145&tbnw=109&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcrate%2Bamp%26start%3D240%26ndsp%3D20 %26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfi refox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

60 watts. I got it brand new back in the late '70s. Had killer "gain" for being from back then. Albeit SS gain, very square waves...but it was good and it made me a god with my friends and the babes. Took that baby everywhere. It rode in everyone's trunk all over the place. Beat the crap out of it, spilled beer all over it, burned cigarettes on it until it fell apart and barely worked. Reconed the same speaker over and over several times. I liked it.

Spudman
March 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Whats wrong with Crate? I dont get it...I know they make mostly SS, but they do make some nice tube amps too.

I personally have owned a Crate GX-30m solid state that has suited me quite well for over a decade...and once I got my modeling pedal it suited me even better!

So whats wrong with Crate?

So where does anyone say there is something wrong with Crate?

Plank_Spanker
March 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
It still pales in comparison to my smallest bedroom rig.....................;)

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/WallofFenderAmps.jpg

sunvalleylaw
March 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I can see your poor wife, hanging on for dear life to the four-poster by her fingernails, feet flailing through the air, while you wail out some screaming solos through those bedroom amphs!!!!!!! LOLROF!!!!! :DR :D :DR

ShortBuSX
March 6th, 2007, 05:49 PM
So where does anyone say there is something wrong with Crate?

It was implied in Danzegos replys.

Spudman
March 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Shortbusx - Implied is a whole different thing. I have a Crate Vintage Club that is a wonderful amph and I'll defend it staunchly. I felt no slam against Crate on this thread.

Planker - Is that Ted Nugents old rig?

ShortBuSX
March 6th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Shortbusx - Implied is a whole different thing. I have a Crate Vintage Club that is a wonderful amph and I'll defend it staunchly. I felt no slam against Crate on this thread.

Are we reading the same thread???

Yeah.....too bad it's a Crate, huh? :p

Of course, going on my own past experience and using a scientific scale approach, that means that this amp should just about measure up to a Marshall 100 Watt in the volume department. ;)

Man, what else do I got? *thinks* :D

Of course. It's a Crate amp. It's only capable of good tones at bedroom levels. *drum hit* :cool:

I think "implied" was putting it lightly...but now youve made me defensive about saying "I dont get it"...I still dont get it...but dont really care if I do either, so...moving on.

Plank_Spanker
March 6th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Planker - Is that Ted Nugents old rig?

I have no idea. When I downloaded the pic, I was under the impression that it was Richie Sambora's rig.

.......................it looks mighty impressive.........................:D

marnold
March 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I know that back in the 80s Crate had a bad reputation for putting out buzzy, crappy-sounding amps. I have no idea if that reputation is still around or if its still justified or not. I never had a Crate, so I couldn't really say if those opinions were valid or not. I do know that in college I thought they were valid. What did I know . . . I was the bass player.

Danzego
March 7th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Here, let me just jump in here for a second and explain myself:

I feel that Crate amps, in general, are crap. Sure, I was mainly trying to be funny...whether you agree or not is your prerogative....but this is one of those cases where there's a grain of truth in there. The Crates I've owned and/or used sounded like crap at anything over a bedroom level- unless, of course, they're a bigger amp to begin with, so you don't have to turn it up very much in a live situation- and the ones I've had (and, mind you, I've had and have used quite a few) have also broken easy. You turn up the volume and you get this raspy, annoying, very feedback ridden mess.

Yeah, I implied it. Heck, I pretty much came out and said it. But hey, that's how I feel about them and I feel that way through experience. I wouldn't go through three or four Chevys, have them all break down on me or perform badly, and go "oh, I just don't like them but think they're decent cars" or anything of the sort just to be nice. Of course there are plenty of Chevy's that are dependable and those that perform well and maybe the same thing goes for Crate amps (though in regards to sound quality, I'd be hard pressed to believe there are more than maybe one or two models that do, in fact, sound anything close to great). But again, my experience leads to my beliefs. That's not such a terrible thing, I don't think.

I mean, of course there are those who believe they sound great and hey, more power to ya. I used to think they sounded good, too. Then I started getting better amps or had the opportunity to try better amps and I figured it out. Maybe something happened and the company managed to spit out a few models (and, most importantly, not discontinue them and try to go further anytime they DO make a little progress) in my time since Crate amps. What I've read doesn't seem to jive with that notion, but I'm willing to accept that maybe they did.

But that doesn't mean that, given the easy opportunity, I'm going to refrain from making a Crate quip. Goodness, no!! ;)

SuperSwede
March 7th, 2007, 03:57 AM
My first amp was an original Crate like this one...

60 watts. I got it brand new back in the late '70s. Had killer "gain" for being from back then. Albeit SS gain, very square waves...but it was good and it made me a god with my friends and the babes. Took that baby everywhere. It rode in everyone's trunk all over the place. Beat the crap out of it, spilled beer all over it, burned cigarettes on it until it fell apart and barely worked. Reconed the same speaker over and over several times. I liked it.

Sweet! Old SS amps were brilliant workhorses, I bet you couldnĀ“t do that with a tube amp.

duhvoodooman
March 7th, 2007, 05:58 AM
It still pales in comparison to my smallest bedroom rig.....................

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/axepilot/WallofFenderAmps.jpg

Ya know, Spanky, if those were all 600W heads, you might not have to mic the cabs! :eek: ;) :D

Justaguyin_nc
March 7th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Does this come with a headphone jack?

Tone2TheBone
March 7th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Sweet! Old SS amps were brilliant workhorses, I bet you couldnĀ“t do that with a tube amp.

The way I travelled I would have killed any tube amph fast! The tubes would have busted against the beer bottles in the trunk. :D \ _ /

sunvalleylaw
March 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I think it would be fun to get a "knock around" amp one day. Even though they have a tube in them, the Vox ones might hold up to what I do nowadays. I throw fewer bottles in the back these days. ;-)

SuperSwede
March 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I throw fewer bottles in the back these days. ;-)

I agree, its much more convenient to have them in the front seat :D
*cheers*

ShortBuSX
March 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Here, let me just jump in here for a second and explain myself:

Thanks for explaining what you meant...

This forum is rather civil, so civil that I think its "too sensitive" for its own good.

I simply asked "whats wrong with Crate?" It is often implied that they are "crap", I knew this...I was really just looking for an explaination(from anyone really)...and you know what? There is no arguement here, cause all Ive ever done on mine was to play it at bedroom levels *shrug* of course that suites me, but not everybody.

But what really sucks is explaining this like Im dismantling a bomb...people are going to have a difference of opinion, gear is a personal preference...results may and will vary.