PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need Irish songs!

Robert
March 6th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Myra and I and our new drummer landed a St Patty's gig at local Irish pub (the one qw practiced at a few weeks ago). But I need your help. We need to play some traditional music for the occasion, which is completely new to us. :DR

So, any ideas? All we know so far is "What should we do with the drunken sailor" and "Whiskey in the jar". :eek:

Tone2TheBone
March 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
How about "Danny Boy"? ;)

SuperSwede
March 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
"Scarborough Fair" ?

warren0728
March 6th, 2007, 02:19 PM
irish i could help you....but i don't know any :D

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 6th, 2007, 02:39 PM
irish i could help you....but i don't know any :D

ww

*laughs* Classic...... :)

Lev
March 6th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I knew I'd come in useful here someday. This site has plenty of chords and lyrics.

http://www.socc.ie/~midiclass/newpage1.htm

For a female vocalist, something like She Moves Through the Fair would work well.

Also, have a search on youtube for the band 'The Dubliners', they're probably the biggest Irish band for singing traditional ballads.

Ro3b
March 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Albums by the Pogues, the Dubliners, and the Clancy Brothers are good source material for pub songs. The Pogues especially did some great songs that are worth knowing in their own right, not just for St. P.'s Day.

And have you heard Flogging Molly? I've had their song "Drunken Lullabies" playing in my head these last few days.

t_ross33
March 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Albums by the Pogues, the Dubliners, and the Clancy Brothers are good source material for pub songs. The Pogues especially did some great songs that are worth knowing in their own right, not just for St. P.'s Day.

And have you heard Flogging Molly? I've had their song "Drunken Lullabies" playing in my head these last few days.

Oh yeah! The Pogues "Drink and Fight" would be classic :D Kiss me, I'm (part) Irish! Good Luck on St. Paddy's!

Trev

sunvalleylaw
March 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM
There are many fun ways to play "Amazing Grace", the melody of which is Irish (or maybe Scottish) in origin. According to Wiki, it is pentatonic, which could lend itself to a really cool blues rendition. A creative, bluesy rendition could be really cool!

marnold
March 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM
"Jump Around," naturally.

Justaguyin_nc
March 7th, 2007, 04:47 AM
The tune Barbara Allen... with an Irish accent would be cool.. hey, if its good enough for Bob Dylan... And John Travolta in the movie Bobby Long... well..:)

SuperSwede
March 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM
There are many fun ways to play "Amazing Grace", the melody of which is Irish (or maybe Scottish) in origin. According to Wiki, it is pentatonic, which could lend itself to a really cool blues rendition. A creative, bluesy rendition could be really cool!

I really like Warrens version of Amazing Graze (posted a while ago).

Tim
March 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I knew I'd come in useful here someday. This site has plenty of chords and lyrics.

http://www.socc.ie/~midiclass/newpage1.htm

For a female vocalist, something like She Moves Through the Fair would work well.

Also, have a search on youtube for the band 'The Dubliners', they're probably the biggest Irish band for singing traditional ballads.

Thanks Lev,

Very nice website. Has anybody payed attention to the scrolling window at the top of the page? There is very good information on MIDI.

warren0728
March 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I really like Warrens version of Amazing Graze (posted a while ago).
thanks swede...i've always questioned your taste in music :D

well here it is....not very irishy.....slide played on my electric resonator, tuned to open g, recorded with the condenser mic on my powerbook....

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 7th, 2007, 11:48 AM

well here it is....not very irishy.....slide played on my electric resonator, tuned to open g, recorded with the condenser mic on my powerbook....

ww

Hey that sound took me back to the 1930s man! Visions in Sepia and hellhounds on my trail! :DR

SuperSwede
March 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM

ww

I think that you nailed that old resonator sound! I have it in my iTunes playlist :)

sunvalleylaw
March 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I think that you nailed that old resonator sound! I have it in my iTunes playlist :)

I now do too!! Added to my "The Fret" playlist.

Robert
March 7th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Lev, that site isn't loading for me.

Lev
March 8th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Lev, that site isn't loading for me.

Doh!! It was working a couple of days ago. Anyway I've found another site here: http://www.thebards.net/music/

Check out the Jedi Drinking Song!!!

Many of these I've not heard before but here's a list of the ones that you should definitely think about including in your set (the one's that people will sing along to)

Black Velvet Band
Danny Boy
Gypsy Rover
Wild Rover
Whiskey in the Jar

Others not listed on this site

The Irish Rover - The Pogues/Dubliners
She moved through the fair
Dublin in the Rare Old Times
40 Shades of Green
The Town I loved so well
Dirty Old Town
Molly Malone

You'll also find many tunes by searching for the Dubliners or the Pogues on Rabioblog

http://www.radioblogclub.com

Hope this helps!

Robert
March 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks Lev! We practiced Irish Rover, Whiskey In The Jar and Danny Boy yesterday.

sunvalleylaw
March 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Lev, thanks for that! On another note, an LA based band, "The Young Dubliners" come into town this Friday to deliver some Celtic flavored rock. Alas, my wife will be out of town and I will be at home with the kids.

http://youngdubliners.com/