PDA

View Full Version : Epi or Agile

grungeiceman
March 10th, 2007, 04:08 AM
OK, im sure this has been desucused before but what do you think it a better guitar a Epiphone standard lp or an agile one?

Spudman
March 10th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I have both and probably would not pick one over the other. They are probably equally good. You'll be happy with either as long as you choose a nicer model of each. For instance, the Agile 2500 over the 2000 or the Epi LP Standard or Elite over the LP100.

Danzego
March 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I can't say anything about an Agile since I've never played one but, for what it's worth, I have an Epi LP Standard Plus and I think it's hip as clibbus. Plays great and certainly worth the purchase. :)

fendermojoman
May 2nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
I've had 3 Epi's Sold them all due to poor quality/ sound /electronics. I bought just one Agile AL3000, I was hooked! Brand names aren't always what they seem. :R :cool:

Spudman
May 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
I've had 3 Epi's Sold them all due to poor quality/ sound /electronics. I bought just one Agile AL3000, I was hooked! Brand names aren't always what they seem. :R :cool:

Glad to hear that you like the Agile. I love mine too.

tot_Ou_tard
May 2nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
I can't say anything about an Agile since I've never played one but, for what it's worth, I have an Epi LP Standard Plus and I think it's hip as clibbus. Plays great and certainly worth the purchase. :)
I'll bite: what or who is clibbus?!?

-----------------edit-----------------------------
I just googled clibbus & your post is the only listing!

http://www.google.com/search?q=clibbus&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLD

There's a name for that, but I forget.

In any case, you get infinitely many totally hip points for inventing clibbus!!!
Nice Job. :cool:

I think clibbus is something you add to a sandwich, right?:D
Only the folks that live in outer Urbania would know what clibbus is.

I too will add points for bringing fringe culture to thefret.:)

marnold
May 2nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
It's sort of a Googlewhack, although that's supposed to be two words without quotes.

Brian Krashpad
May 15th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I'd think generally Epi/Agile are pretty similar, except that you pay more for the Epi name, and the quality control on Epi's isn't as tight as on Agiles.

I've owned an Epi SG (G400) and an Agile SG (Valkyrie II). The Epi was $175 used, the Valkyrie had been selling for ~$240 new but I got mine on closeout for $99.

Since the Agile had P-90's and the Epi had HB's (and I had a lot of other HB'd guitars), after I got the Agile I sold the Epi. Nothing wrong with the Epi, other than slightly muffled pickup response, it just became redundant vis-a-vis what else I had.

Basically I like both Agiles and Epi's (I've also owned an Epi Flying V), for any given guitar each could equal or surpass the other, but the Agile will more typically be better bang-for-buck.

TS808
May 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I can't really comment on an Epi since I never owned one, but I do own the Agile AL-3000. Back in the early 90's I owned a Gibson Les Paul Studio which at that time sold for around $800.

I'm blown away by the Agile in terms of quality and tone. I would definitely say that the Agile is equally as good as the Gibson I owned. The Gibson Les Paul Studios in the early 90's had the dot inlays, and were pretty basic with no binding, etc.

The Agile really surprised me and I am considering getting another one down the road. It is THAT good.

Riley
May 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I just bought two different Epiphone guitars, one is their '56 Gold top with p90's and one is the Wildkat. Maybe I got two great ones, but both are super in fit, finish, setup and playability. So far I really like both stock. The Gold top plays so damned well and everything on it makes it feel like some of the Historics I used to own. Both have fret jobs that pass some high end Gibson's I've owned. The only complaint I can come up with is a tuner on the Gold Top isn't lined up perfectly and gets really hard to turn through part of it's gear ratio. I have owned Agiles and they are very good too, but found that Epiphone's have next to no minor cosmetic issues such as wood joints, filler flaws and sloppy binding like I've seen on some Agiles. Just my two cents. :)

Brian Krashpad
May 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
I just bought two different Epiphone guitars, one is their '56 Gold top with p90's and one is the Wildkat. Maybe I got two great ones, but both are super in fit, finish, setup and playability. So far I really like both stock. The Gold top plays so damned well and everything on it makes it feel like some of the Historics I used to own. Both have fret jobs that pass some high end Gibson's I've owned. The only complaint I can come up with is a tuner on the Gold Top isn't lined up perfectly and gets really hard to turn through part of it's gear ratio. I have owned Agiles and they are very good too, but found that Epiphone's have next to no minor cosmetic issues such as wood joints, filler flaws and sloppy binding like I've seen on some Agiles. Just my two cents. :)

Both those two models are sorta the flagships of the non-MIJ/non-USA Epi's though-- pretty much near the top of the Epi line before you go over to the Elitist. I've always heard good things about both the Wild Kat and the Goldtop (both are on my mental "guitars of interest" list).