PDA

View Full Version : 10 band EQ?

M29
March 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hello,

I am looking to buy a 10 band equalizer and wanted you guys opinion? I did a Fret.Net search but did not find anything pertaining to this subject.
I am looking at the MXR M-108 and the Rolls EQ 101 10 Band Mini EQ. The MXR gets good reviews but I like the price on the Rolls which is about 65.00 compared to 119.00 for the MXR. Have you guys heard anything on the Rolls as far as quality and noise goes? I don't actually need a floor model with a foot switch as I will probably put in an effects loop on my AD50VT and probably just set it on top of the amp. If I use it with my Power Block I can set it next to that okay.

Thank you in advance.

M29

Robert
March 10th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I've never used an EQ pedal - what is the benefit of using one?

Are you building an effects loop on the AD50VT? Sounds interesting but advanced!

Spudman
March 10th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I've had an EQ pedal for 25 years and never use it. I know some metal players really like them because it seems to be one of the best way to accentuate the desired frequencies. I've found that most tones I like can be had with whatever tone control is available on the amp or pre amp.

Like Robert discovered, I too have found that the one device that makes the most difference to my sound is now a clean boost pedal. The guitar just sounds so much...more.

M29
March 10th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Hello Robert,

I plan to use the EQ to take out some of the mud in the stock speaker of the ad50vt. Originally an EQ was used to flatten or even out the sound with certain frequencies that are either too high or to low. Once this was achieved you adjusted the input signal or volume equal to the output. It appears since I have been out of it for a while, that guys are using them for signal boosts as well.

I am interested in a 10 band because I am afraid that a 6 or 7 band might not give me enough adjustment in the bass area. Most 6 or 7 bands only give you adjustment at 100cps. Oops I mean 100hertz, I am showing my age:o I would just like a little more flexibility down there in case I cannot get the mud out at 100. Guitars don't usually go down much below 100 but when a speakers low end drops down they drop down fast and sharp. Occasionally I like a nice heavy chunky bottom but not boomy. Okay no wise cracks about the chunky bottom:D

I plan to add an effects loop to run the equalizer through. Voxman on valvetronix.net feels it is best to run and EQ in the loop for certain situations instead of up front. An interesting read if you get a chance to check it out. http://www.valvetronix.net/forum/struggling-with-tone-understanding-eq-and-the-valvetronix-vt674.html

You guys opinions are greatly appreciated.

M29

Robert
March 10th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Well, here is my opinon: spend the money on a good speaker cabinet instead. The AD50VT combo cab does not sound great, no matter what speaker you put in it, or whatever eq'ing you do. When I run the amp through my Avatar 2x12, it's like a whole new amp.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, but I see you have some Tonkers in separate cabs? That should do it! :DR

NPauly
March 11th, 2007, 02:17 AM
You can find the MXR EQ on eBay for around $85 + shipping ...

The MXR is hands down the best EQ pedal you can currently buy.

M29
March 11th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Hello Robert,

Yeah I know what you mean about an extension cab. I purchased the Tonkers for my Power Block and as an extension for the Vox and it did clean up the mud on the Vox. But, I would like to boost the real low bass on the Tonkers with the Power Block and Also cut the mud on the Vox when played by itself, thus the equalizer.

Robert here is a link to info on Valvetronics.net concerning the effects loop. Here is some discussion http://www.valvetronix.net/forum/behringer-eq700-vt741.html and here is the loop mod directly http://patchtronix.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=833

Hello NPauly,

Thanks for the info. I have been watching the bay on the MXR and am giving it some real heavy thought. If I can get the shipping right at 85.00 I may go that route.

Thanks again guys!

M29

t_ross33
March 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
As to "why use an EQ", I've seen them used to boost mids or mid-highs for cutting thru durning a solo. Some even have a signal boost as well, but I find they can add unwanted noise to your signal. I haven't used one with my electrics, but I do use one in my live rig with my acoustic to cut certain frequencies and tame some of the resonant feedback that acoustics and hollowbodies are suseptible to.

Might have to try it with my HB-30 as it can howl pretty good at higher gain settings if I'm not careful :DR

t_ross33
March 12th, 2007, 08:34 AM
M29, if you are looking at boosting lower frequencies, maybe you should look at a bass EQ like this one (http://www.behringer.com/BEQ700/index.cfm?lang=ENG) from Behringer. Not an endorsement, I'm sure there are other models out there. Just a thought :)

M29
March 12th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Hello t_ross33,

Thanks for the info. I was originally thinking of trying one of these as it is just right for what I am trying to do but as with all equalizers I am concerned about noise levels. I have heard good reports on this pedal though and being in the lower ranges it should not bring out any upper noise. You may have just made up my mind and this is much cheaper!

Thanks again t_ross33

M29