PDA

View Full Version : Best albums 2005

Spudman
January 6th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Howdy

I was thinking that it might be good to see what current music is interesting and viable to us creative and forward thinking guitarists.

List your top 2005 releases.

I'll start (not in order except for Roine Stolt's)

Roine Stolt - Wallstreet Voodoo
Neal Morse - ? (yes that is the name of the album)
RPWL - World Through My Eyes
Salem Hill - Mimi's Magic Moments
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Tomas Bodin - I Am
Kaipa - Mindrevolutions
Shadow gallery - Room V
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Spocks Beard - Octane

honorable mention: Glenn Hughes - Soul Mover, Ayreon - The Human Equation (I know it was released in 2004, but it's such a great album)

Nelskie
January 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Spudman - Thanks for the great post. I am not "up" on as much of the newer music, and appreciate your contributions in regards to that. I'll also have to thank you for mentioning "Spock's Beard" in one of your initial posts. I had a Best Buy gift certificate to burn, and marched straight into the store, and bought "Octane". I was totally unprepared for what my ears would behold later that evening, to say the least. It is truly some AMAZING stuff, and a band that I will continue to explore as soon as I've adequately digested "Octane" - which may be awhile. I think this would be an excellent CD to review for HYH, and perhaps I could coax a short one out of you . . .???!!! :D

Being turned onto stuff like this is exactly why I thought HYH would be a great thing for our forum. It's been quite some time since I remember being this excited about *new* music, much less something of such unbelievable scope and complexity. Spock's Beard ROCKS!!

Spudman
January 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I just got tired of all the same old stuff myself. I love the old stuff, but musically I wanted to be inspired to go further than I-IV-V. I started reading reviews at www.dprp.net and http://www.progarchives.com/ and listening to http://www.deliciousagony.com/. I would check out MP3's on artists sites and make purchases based on how it sounded and the reccomendations of the reviewers.

It was through these places I got reconnected to some awesome players and music.

Neal Morse is from Spocks Beard, You are guaranteed to love Roine Stolt's new double disc, J.J. Marsh from Glenn Hughes plays on Tomas Bodin's albums, Roine Stolt plays on Neal's album and was a member of Kaipa and Neal guests on Salem Hill's album. Arjen Lucassen uses almost everbody in the business on the Ayreon albums. Great stuff.

Nelskie
January 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM
So true, Spud. I remember back in my metal days, a lot of stuff was starting to sound the same. Thankfully, King's X came along, and really put a fresh spin on things for me. It was shortly after that that I had my "ZZ Top" encounter, which caused me to totally switch gears with my primary playing style from hard rock / metal to the blues. I've always enjoyed listening to Joe Satriani & Steve Vai, and many of their musical and playing techniques have provided new avenues of exploration. I've recently begun tapping into some of the maniacal guitar genius of Frank Zappa, and his unique style and approach to music have really helped me think "outside of the box" with my own playing. Yet, even through changing times, I still like to stay in touch with players and bands that I consider "classic", and are primary bases for my own "sound" - Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin, SRV, Clapton, The Black Crowes, KISS, etc.

I don't have a real long list of new music, but do have a few that bear mentioning. All of these releases feature some very good guitar work, esp. the Sonny Landreth CD. Check 'em out -

1.) Sonny Landreth - Grant Street (Live)
2.) John Hiatt - The Master of Disaster
3.) Sheryl Crow - Wildflower
4.) King's X - Ogre Tones
5.) Audioslave - Out of Exile