PDA

View Full Version : Standard Strat ALMOST purchase -- a story

Sblack
March 11th, 2007, 06:30 AM
I went into Guitar Center yesterday and played an electric blue Standard Strat with a rosewood fingerboard. It caught my eye due to its $284.00 US price tag. It was a 2006 version, so it had hotter pickups, bigger frets, and a heavier trem block. I played it for about an hour, and although the fret ends needed filing and the nut was not cut properly (high E was too close to the edge of the fretboard), I decided it sounded good and felt right. In going to purchase the guitar, the salesman started to add things to my purchase in order to get the "free financing" they were offereing on the GC card. I got so frustrated, that I hung the guitar up and walked away. I flushed an awesome deal on a Strat down the toilet. In hindsight, though, I really want a maple neck strat. My subconcious must have told me that.

Did I do the right thing?

Now I really have GAS for a Strat, and there is something about that Fender headstock that radiates rock-n-roll.

Help!

Robert
March 11th, 2007, 08:42 AM
I think you did the right thing. You can find good strats at other places too.

Sblack
March 11th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks, Robert.

I am thinking about an SX SST57 -- $99

The mods I am considering are as follows:
Gotoh SG tuners -- $24.00
GFS Texas Staggers -- $65.00
New volume pot -- disconnect tone pots --$3
New nut if needed --$10.00

Total cost with mods -- $200.00

I am concerned, however, about the playability of the neck. Will I need to do fret leveling or crowning? If so, then I will lose on the gamble. I have never attempted fret work and am reluctant to pay a tech to do anything.

Robert, I know your SX SST62 and has had issues with the neck and frets buzzing. Were you able to allieviate this? Please let me know your thoughts on the SX.

Thanks.

Stan

Danzego
March 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
You can always say "no". It might take a couple tries, but that usually does the trick. :p

I mean, I can understand where you're coming from. Nothing says "I'm outta here" like a salesperson who thinks he has the right to tell you what you're going to be buying. But then, nothing says "Screw you" like a customer telling the salesperson to put it all back on the shelf and sell you the one thing YOU actually want. The look on their face when you start telling them how things are going to be is almost too good to pass up. ;)

Sblack
March 11th, 2007, 01:06 PM
You are right. I did say "no," and as I put the guitar back he was saying, "Once that guitar is gone, you'll have to pay $400.00 for the same model." I got frustrated and did not have the energy to argue or be combative. Action speaks louder than words, so I left.

I am actually looking at a Squier, SX, or Kramer strat and doing mods. I mod everything I own anyway. This will cost a lot less money, and I can put my personal "stamp" on the guitar when I am done with the mods.

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Welcome SBlack. I own a MIM 60th Ann Strat and love it. But I am not much of a modder. Mine has a maple neck, like you wanted, that I just love. But you may be able to find a strat or strat alike with a nice maple neck for a lot less and mod the heck out of it to your liking. Spud may have an opinion on that.

Sblack
March 11th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I love that 60th Anniv., by the way. It is a beautiful Strat. Good choice!

sunvalleylaw
March 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I love that 60th Anniv., by the way. It is a beautiful Strat. Good choice!
Yeah, I really like it. The neck I especially love. I played it against a Highway One with rosewood and chose it over the H1. The H1 was really nice and had a lot of darker, warmer tones, but I really liked the maple fretboard and bright chimey tones. If you were really wanting a maple fret board strat, I support your leaving the sale priced one to buy/build up what you really wanted in the first place. I am kind of gassing to eventually add a double fat one with maybe the rosewood fretboard to accentuate the warmth of the humbuckers. I don't want to spend that much on an "extra" guitar though, so I may wait to find a used or good cheap one to mod up. But unless a screamin deal comes along, I will likely add a LP type first. :DR

carp3nt3r
March 11th, 2007, 08:52 PM
SBlack, I think youve done the right thing. by the time your salesperson got thru with you ,you'd have been over 400 bux anyhow. Nothing Irks me worse then high pressure salespeople, I usually make it clear i dont need help thinking about my purchases, and if they dont get the hint, i spell it out for em pretty quick.

As for choosing a guitar, it sounds as though you do know what youd like to have, so go for it. if im not mistaken some folks here have the sx guitar you mentioned and if you look im sure you will find a review of it someplace here.

hang tough, after all its your money, make em give ya what you want for it.
carp3nt3r.

Sblack
March 12th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Thanks, everyone!

It is nice to have a good group of minds to help ease the uncertainty of decisions. I will keep you posted on my decision and post pics on the one I get. It looks like the SX SST57 at this point.