PDA

View Full Version : Classic Players 60's Strat

Lev
March 12th, 2007, 10:19 AM
...has anyone else tried a Classic Players 60's Strat? I read a couple of very favorable reviews and I noticed a sonic blue one hanging in my local guitar store at the weekend and had to give it a go.

I was really impressed - it's Custom Shop designed but made in Mexico so it is quite affordable ($799 - but there are bargains out there too). It has an amazing feel with a C Shape that just feels great for soloing, it's really well constructed and the combination of sonic blue with mint green gives it a real vintage appeal. But this thing really came alive when I plugged it in, it's got Custom Shop designed and hand wound '69's that give the most beautiful classic strat tone - it's Hendix, SRV, Mayer, Gilmour - just beautiful.

Given it's unique features (CS 69's, Vinage 2 point trem, Mint Green PG, "Custom Sop Designed" on the neck plate) I think it's a real winner and possibly a collectors item in years to come. For me it's up there with (if not ahead of) the JV strat in terms of output from Fender's Mexican facility.

For those of you who haven't seen it here's what it looks like (picture doesn't do it justice): http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/images24000-24999/ngb24225-fenderstrat/index.html

And here's a guy on youtube playing one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABYolJQROp0

Really Great instrument for the price - it compares very favourably to my American Deluxe so I've got very strong GAS right now - my heart says buy one but my head says "Why do you need another strat - your not even playing in a band!!" - aaggh - the agony of GAS!!!

Sblack
March 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I saw one hanging up while I was in Guitar Center. Although I was running out of time, I really wanted to play it. It looked like it needed to be played -- gorgeous Strat. I did not get a chance to play it, though. If you can find a deal on one, go for it. Good luck.

Spudman
March 12th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Dagnabit! Whay'd ya have to go tellin us bout a nuther great gitar?

I did some research and found out that it is a very well liked guitar. Sounds great, nice features and I want one! If you wouldn't have posted about it I never would have known. Thanks...from me...my wallet however is going to be upset.

stingx
March 12th, 2007, 06:02 PM
My buddy has one. Very nice guitar. Sounds great, looks great, and plays extremely well.

Lev
March 13th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Yep, I did some more research and I think this is a must have for me. My wedding is coming up next month and my fiancee wants to buy me a guitar as a wedding present - this is probably above what she wanted to spend but I think I'll drop into the store and put a good deposit on it myself and hopefully she can pay the balance (..isn't love wonderful ;) ).

I had originally wanted an Epi Gold Top but this Strat just pulled at my heart strings - uniqueness, sound and feel - I just have to have it!

Justaguyin_nc
March 13th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I think I got the cheaper version... made at turn of 2000.. Fender needs to change up the names a bit.. maybe add a year for each version of the 60's strat from Mexico..lol.. Mine I think they called Vintage 60's Stratocaster, then there is the Players Classic 60's... and then Classic Players 60's... Mine is regular alnico staggered pickups.. then you get tex mex on the Players Classic... and finally the CS69's on the Classic Player... kinda confusing to me..

But... I really enjoy mine... I have all cheap guitars.. the strat is the only thing I have that feels like a pro guitar.. don't think an American can make it feel any better.

Lev
March 16th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Put my €300 deposit down today!! As it's a wedding present I won't get to play it for another 6 weeks but I think it's safe to add to my gear signature :DR

Spudman
March 16th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Yea! These really sound like great guitars.:DR

One thing that bothers me on them is the lack of a reverse wound middle pickup. I think I would put one in when I get one. Seems silly they can't reverse wind a CS pickup and get he same results without the noise.

Lev
March 16th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Yea! These really sound like great guitars.:DR

One thing that bothers me on them is the lack of a reverse wound middle pickup. I think I would put one in when I get one. Seems silly they can't reverse wind a CS pickup and get he same results without the noise.

D'ya Know, that was the one thing putting me off too. When I went to the store last week I tried the classic 50's strat first because I had written off the 60's thinking it would be excessively noisy. But when I played the 60's I barely noticed the hum and I really had it cranked through a Fender Super Sonic Head & Cab, maybe it's because I was tripping on the tone from the PUP's that I didn't notice the hum.

"I think I would put one in when I get one" Does this mean another strat for the Spudman?

Spudman
March 16th, 2007, 07:54 AM
"I think I would put one in when I get one" Does this mean another strat for the Spudman?

Like I said: I'm a Strataholic. It's been 2 days since my last Strat....:)

Tinky-Winky
March 25th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks a lot for this confirmation Lev; I've been eyeing this guitar up for some time now, and was wondering if it really is that good. Would you say 390 pounds is a good price for one?

Lev
March 26th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks a lot for this confirmation Lev; I've been eyeing this guitar up for some time now, and was wondering if it really is that good. Would you say 390 pounds is a good price for one?

That sounds like a steal - it's less than I've paid for mine anyway! Just be careful when it comes to the quality, I've heard of a couple of issues especially around the neck pocket and the fit with the body. I believe the neck is raised slightly with shims, so you may see a small gap.

Lev
March 26th, 2007, 03:51 AM
For anyone interested in the Classic Players Series, here's a review from last months Guitarist magazine....

http://www.fender.co.uk/images/resources/pdfs/GIT287%20rev_fender.pdf

Tinky-Winky
March 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Lev, thanks for that review, and also I must say that I do find mexican neck pocket fits to be pretty variable - all the standards I have played have been worse than many a squier.

elavd
July 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Lev, I am interested in buying the same strat as yours.

I have one question: Does it have a steel tremolo block?

Lev
July 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Lev, I am interested in buying the same strat as yours.

I have one question: Does it have a steel tremolo block?

Fender had previously advertised this guitar as having a "milled steel" block. I have never attempted to stick a magnet to mine but I did read some threads on FDP where people attemped to stick a magnet to it and it didn't stick. I believe some folk then complained to Fender. So a few month back they removed the 'Milled Steel Block' from the product specs. So I think it's safe to assume that it does not have a steel block. I would not however let this put you off buying one - I was blown away when I tried it in the shop and at that point the block issue was no longer a concern for me.

Leonidas
July 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Wow this strat looks like a real winner. I've been looking at strats, and may possibly get one. I really like this one and the deluxe players strat. Both are very nice. I hope to try them out at guitar center soon, where i have a $150 gift card waiting to be used :)

elavd
July 26th, 2007, 01:35 AM
So a few month back they removed the 'Milled Steel Block' from the product specs. So I think it's safe to assume that it does not have a steel block.

That's why I remember that I've read it on Fender's specs, but now I couldn't find it...

I believe you that the CP60 is an excellent sounding guitar, but I think the difference that makes a steel block on the sound of a strat, is more very big...

Justaguyin_nc
July 26th, 2007, 10:53 AM
[quote=Lev
Given it's unique features (CS 69's, Vinage 2 point trem, Mint Green PG, "Custom Sop Designed" on the neck plate) I think it's a real winner and possibly a collectors item in years to come. For me it's up there with (if not ahead of) the JV strat in terms of output from Fender's Mexican facility.
[/quote]

I didn't have the version with the 69's so be carefull if buying used.. names are so much alike on the models , I think Callaham states the MIM classics are zinc blocks.. Having 69's might have changed my mind some, But I sold my 60's MIM once I got the Jimmie Vaughan in my hands... anyone looking at the 60's over the JV would be for the Rosewood and the pickups... but do yourself a favor and try out a Jimmie Vaughan... the 60's neck was wonderful and felt very smooth.. but something about the V shaped JV neck put it over the top and my 60 on the E-Bay... and the JV pups are also great... Best thing, get one of each..:)