PDA

View Full Version : The Kids Are Alright

6STRINGS 9LIVES
March 13th, 2007, 06:24 AM
About two months ago I got a call from a young guy in my area who was interested in buying a vintage amp . I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that he had done his homework and had a good idea of what he was looking for , he was looking for a bassman, a blackface bassman to be exact. We talked on the phone for about an hour and arranged for him to drop by and check out one of my amps . I was honestly amazed that he was so into vintage gear given his age, 23 . Turns out the kid is a pretty good song writer and has a unique style of playing , he brought along a self made ep of his tunes and I was very impressed , he has a definite Dylanesque vibe and a real honesty to his writing and performing . I was expecting more of a punk, metal, grunge thing but here was a kid who was doing nice straight foreward stuff more in the style of David Grey and dare I say John Mayer, and interested in vintage tones . When he got to my place and saw the amp collection he lit up like a xmas tree and I could tell that here was a toltal gear head in the making . He had never plugged into a vintage amp before , his current rig was a blues deluxe and a mexi strat . He was amazed at the sound of the old bassman and spent the next two hours playing and drooling , he made me an offer on the spot and I said I’d give it some thought . Over the course of the next few weeks we got together a couple of times and talked music and gear , he also decided he wanted one of my guitars and a Fender reverb unit to complete his setup . This kid had been bitten by the vintage bug in a big way and ended up buying a 64 Fender blonde reverb unit and a 68 leslie ( like a fender vibratone ) and a 1962 blonde tremoluxe and cab ..his sound is now absolutely killer . I guess the point of my post is that young players do have an appreciation for vintage tone and that blew me away , it was so unexpected . I’m gonna check with him to see if he would mind my putting a couple of his tunes up here for you all to hear . I have since brought him to the studio a couple of times to meet the guys and hang out , and we are working on doing a decent recording for him and supplying some supporting players , he’s loving it , at 23 years old he is definitely going in the right direction and it’s a blast to help him out and feed off of his enthusiasm. I guess Townshend got it right ..”THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT “ . ...6S9L

Robert
March 13th, 2007, 08:10 AM
That is great to hear. Good to see kids who are excited about vintage gear. I am sure I am speaking for everyone here when I say we'd love to hear the guy's music.

Sblack
March 13th, 2007, 08:36 AM
It is always cool to hear the new generation not only paying respect to the old, but embracing it and making it their own. Vintage gear, if you can afford it, is like owning a piece of history and the future.

sunvalleylaw
March 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Nice story 6S9L! Great to hear. It would be fun to be able to hear that guy's tones if he posts on Youtube or myspace or somewhere. Please, keep us in the loop if you hear anything.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
March 13th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I will get his soundclick url up here as soon as i talk to him .. hes a cool kid and i'm happy to pass his tuneage along to the faithful , welcome to the fret Sblack, I think you will like it here ...