PDA

View Full Version : New Strat -- Squier or SX?

Sblack
March 13th, 2007, 07:25 AM
I am considering two possible Strats (within my budget) and would like to hear your thoughts.

1. Squier® Affinity Series Stratocaster Special Electric Guitar -
pros: cost $149.99 at MF
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Stratocaster-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=511276

Alder body
Maple neck (9.5" radius)
medium jumbo frets
two-tone burst

con:

large squier headstock (I do not like the aesthetic for some reason)

2. SX SST57 Vintage
http://www.rondomusic.net/sst57.html
pros:

maple neck (14" radius -- big neck profile -- sheesh)
alder body
two tone burst
vintage tint on neck
$40 cheaper

cons:

a little leary about inconsistent craftsmanship
14" radius -- big neck profile -- sheesh!

I will be modding electronics, nut, and tuners on each. I will not use the trem.

Thanks.

Stan

ted s
March 13th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Hey Stan, what about going with the Squire and modifying the headstock ? I've thought of that as well as I also think the Squire headstock is fugly.

Sblack
March 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
It is a good thought, but I do not have a capable scroll saw or properly know how to shape the wood. I was thinking of removing the Squier decal and going the 70s Fender decal look.

duhvoodooman
March 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM
I'll defer to Robert or another SX Strat owner on that one, but I can tell you that I've played a couple of Affinity Strats and found them to be cheap & flimsy feeling. Didn't like the necks at all, and the thin profile body made it feel like a toy to me. If you go with a Squier Strat, I'd strongly recommend saving another $50 and getting one of the "standard" models. Just one man's opinion....

BTW, I still have a heckuva deal (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2659) available on a Squier Tele! Didn't get it posted on eBay yet....

Robert
March 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM
They are both cheap quality, but the SX is a cooler guitar in my view. Better? Not sure. Tremoloman thinks so. My SX Strat had some issues with the neck, which I don't like as much as the Squier necks. The SX sounds better though to my ears.

Sblack
March 13th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks, guys.

I am now considering spending a little more and getting one of the new vintage modified SSS Squier strats -- $299.00 is a little more than I want to spend, though.

Also, I am afraid that neither the Squier Affinity nor the SX will even come close to feel and tone of my '51.

These things are tough to decide.

jasongins
March 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I just got one of these (http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=4&TempID=5&DepartmentID=1&STRID=15424&CategorySubID=681&CategoryID=681&BrandID=1469&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SortMethod=&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true) for $149. It is a Squier Satin Trans Strat. It is a Squier Standard series for the same price as the Affinity series, which I believe means it has upgraded hardware, pickups, etc. I am a beginner and far from an expert, but I think it sounds better than my '51. I can also see that the bridge and other hardware are nicer than on my '51.

duhvoodooman
March 13th, 2007, 03:04 PM
That's a nice deal. Much preferable to an Affinity Strat, IMO. Wrong link, though. I think you wanted THIS ONE (http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=1&TempID=2&STRID=17044)?

Sblack, I think this would be more in line with your quality/playability expectations, and at a very reasonable price.

marnold
March 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM
cons:

a little leary about inconsistent craftsmanship
14" radius -- big neck profile -- sheesh!

The radius has nothing to do with how big or wide the neck is. It describes how flat the fretboard is. The bigger the radius, the flatter the fretboard.

jasongins
March 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Something is wrong with that website. The link keeps changing to a different item. Here it is on Squier's site: Click Here (http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0321630520)

But samash.com does have it for $149. Try searching by item# F16305. It was $169 for quite awhile, but recently dropped to $149.

Spudman
March 13th, 2007, 05:06 PM
The new vintage modified Squiers are pretty good, but for that price you can pick up a used in good shape 2000-2005 Mexican Strat.

Also look for any of the Special Edition Squier Standards. MF had some not long ago but are now discontinued. Less than $200.

Jimi75
March 14th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Go with the SX. Modifying a headstock could lead to sound loss. If you do not like the headstock of the Squire this will always be your first thought when picking up the guitar each day!

I have checked quite a bunch of Squires in the last couple weeks and especially the affinity series is getting worse and worse...sharp frets, laquer mistakes and so on.

Sblack
March 14th, 2007, 04:18 PM
I agree with you, Robert. The SX is "cooler" looking than the Squier, and although this shouldn't be the overall deciding factor, it weighs in heavily.

At this point, I am thinking SX the SST57 is the way to go. Kurt has a positive record for customer service. Although it is a gamble whether I'll get a decent one, I will bank on Kurt's honesty according to other patrons of Rondo.

Now which color do I choose? I initially liked the 2-tone burst (and still do), but now I like the powder blue (thanks to Tremoloman) and vintage white (thanks to Robert), too.

Spudman
March 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Order two at the same time. If the neck is bad on the one you really want then you can swap it with the other neck and then send that other guitar back with the bad neck.

I've experienced humps in the necks of the SX's that I had ordered and sent them back. I've also done this with a couple other brands and the replacements played better but the sound wasn't the same on the replacement guitars. I was wishing I could have kept the original guitar and just replaced the defective neck. That would have made me happy.

jasongins
March 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I love the powder blue/maple neck (and am still thinking about getting one), with vintage white running a close second.

duhvoodooman
March 14th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I love the powder blue/maple neck....
Yup, I like that color, too, but I like THIS ONE (http://www.rondomusic.net/sst57vgn.html) even better!

jasongins
March 25th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Sblack -

Did you get an SX yet? If so, you have to tell us all about it.

Sblack
March 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I just can't commit to the SX SST57 at this point. I played a few Squier Affinity and Standards at GC, and although I liked the play/feel of the Squier Standard, I can't get past the lame headstock. The Affinities, on the other hand, felt "junky."

I am waiting and saving for a Mexican Standard Stratocaster.

Hogfullofblues
March 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
It looks like Buffalo Bros has one G&L Tribute S-500 (strat) left at blow out, which was 299.00 + shipping back then.

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/gAndL.htm

If that's not more than you want to spend, don't hate the color, etc, it might be worth locating a dealer near you to check one out before it's gone. I'm still a newbie, but my G&L is flat out the best quality guitar I have yet owned, including the DOT I just got, and I really like the tone/s.
Good Luck finding the sharpest axe!

t_ross33
March 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks, guys.

I am now considering spending a little more and getting one of the new vintage modified SSS Squier strats -- $299.00 is a little more than I want to spend, though.

I say go for the Vintage Modified! I'm loving my VM SH Tele - quality is very good for the price (actually I'm quite impressed with the build, the neck, even the tuners). Apparently the music store had some VM Strats in as well, but the staff scooped them as soon as they came in. "Crafted in India" of all places. Even so, couldn't see over $600 worth of difference between that and a MIM Baja Tele.

Good value IMHO. Mine is gig-ready right out of the box! Spending any less will likely mean some TLC, mod'ing and/or setup. And I don't think we'll see the likes of $89 Squier 51's again :(

ShortBuSX
March 26th, 2007, 09:02 AM
and although I liked the play/feel of the Squier Standard, I can't get past the lame headstock.

I never even notice mine except when its on the stand...and even then it has grown on me.

Sblack
March 26th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I never even notice mine except when its on the stand...and even then it has grown on me.
You bring up a good point about gear judgement. Something that is initially "unappealing" later becomes a comfort when paired with the excellence in playability and tone.

Robert
April 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I am really wanting a good strat too. I think I will go for a MIM Fender.

Did you buy a strat yet?

Spudman
April 13th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I've found the 2005 MIM Strats with the Texas Special pickups to be very good. These are usually black with a maple neck. I think they were a special run. The 2006's MIM standards are great too. The new Squier vintage modified are getting fabulous reviews, and you know where Rotren.;)

I've played the Affinity Teles and found them to be much better than expected. Unfortunately I've been let down by SX Strat copies. Not the norm from what I hear or maybe I'm just a bit more picky than some other buyers.

Sblack
April 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I am really wanting a good strat too. I think I will go for a MIM Fender.

Did you buy a strat yet?

I have been doing a lot of thinking and finally decided to put my own somewhat-custom Strat together, but on the "cheap."

I recently bought a Mighty Mite Fender licensed "V" profile maple neck. It feels awesome and the finish/manufacture is spectacular. I am going to build a Strat around this neck. I just have not decided on the parts yet. I was thinking of purchasing one of the Squier Standard Amber Satin Trans Strats from Sam Ash for $149.00 and swapping out the rosewood neck. This would probably be a good start.

I really like the MIM Strats, but a lot of the MIM standards I played did not have comfortable necks for my hand. I hear good things about the Jimmie Vaughan MIM Strat, though.

Good luck.

sunvalleylaw
April 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I've found the 2005 MIM Strats with the Texas Special pickups to be very good. These are usually black with a maple neck. I think they were a special run. The 2006's MIM standards are great too. The new Squier vintage modified are getting fabulous reviews, and you know where Rotren.;)

I've played the Affinity Teles and found them to be much better than expected. Unfortunately I've been let down by SX Strat copies. Not the norm from what I hear or maybe I'm just a bit more picky than some other buyers.

Robert: From what the folks have said here, and from my own experience, I think you should go try a 60th like mine, one like Spud mentions here if you can find one, and a JV. They seem to be the best MIMs I know of. I know I liked mine better than the other MIMs I played at Guitar Center and a couple other shops before I bought. Like I have said before, it just felt right to me. I did not play the JV one though, so cannot comment on that shape neck. I did play a Highway One, and liked mind just as well as for feel, liked the looks of mine better (not a fan of the satin, semi-transparent look), and thought the sound was just different. Mine was a little more clear, and the Highway One with a rosewood fretboard was just a little duskier.

Sblack
April 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I have been doing a lot of thinking and finally decided to put my own somewhat-custom Strat together, but on the "cheap."

I recently bought a Mighty Mite Fender licensed "V" profile maple neck. It feels awesome and the finish/manufacture is spectacular. I am going to build a Strat around this neck. I just have not decided on the parts yet. I was thinking of purchasing one of the Squier Standard Amber Satin Trans Strats from Sam Ash for $149.00 and swapping out the rosewood neck. This would probably be a good start.

I have decided on my custom Strat -- finally. I bought the Squier Standard Trans Amber Satin Strat from Sam Ash ($149.00). I will be installing my maple neck, filling in the trem cavity with an alder (or maple) block, removing the two post trem unit, filling in the post holes, and installing a string-through Strat hard tail bridge. In a few weeks, I will post pics to let you all see the finished project and get my take on the tones. ;)

Spudman
April 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Seems like a lot of work to go through. You do know that one of the reasons a Strat sounds the way it does is because of the cavity and springs?

Still it should be a fun guitar to play.

marnold
April 16th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I think that when I finally get a Strat, I'm going to get a Carvin kit (http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=GK1T&CID=KBN) with the HSS configuration, bird's eye maple neck, black hardware, and probably a black pearloid pickguard.

Sblack
April 16th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I think that when I finally get a Strat, I'm going to get a Carvin kit (http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=GK1T&CID=KBN) with the HSS configuration, bird's eye maple neck, black hardware, and probably a black pearloid pickguard.
I built two Carvin kits about five years ago and kick myself every time I remember selling them off for "better" gear. They were quality guitars that played fast and felt very comfortable. I loved the customization aspect, too. WHen I bought mine, they were $289.00 with $7 shipping. The price, unfortunately, has gone up drastically.

Sblack
April 17th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Seems like a lot of work to go through. You do know that one of the reasons a Strat sounds the way it does is because of the cavity and springs?

Still it should be a fun guitar to play.

You are right, Spud! And considering this (and the work involved in filling guitar cavities), I may just convert the trem to a vintage bridge (or keep the two-point), block it, and call it a day. Thanks for the reminder about Strat tone. From what I remember, vintage bridges have that Strat tone that the two-point fulcrum sometimes lacks. Obviously, I don't use a trem in my playing and am partial to hard tails.

Spudman
April 17th, 2007, 07:14 AM
I use my standard tremolos less myself and as a result don't use the trems on my locking guitars much either. I guess I've come to be more of a hardtail type guy myself but I still let my Strat type trems float.

pie_man_25
April 22nd, 2007, 06:38 PM
I've been looking at the affinity series strat because of the alder body, I'd just take the neck from my telecaster copy (better neck finish, and thicker-not wider- headstock) and replacing the pickups with black covered seymore duncans, I think that woul make a pretty good guitar. And when I feel artistic, I could sand off the finish and refinish it with something unique, something that would say "this is pie_man_25's guitar, and noone else's"

Sblack
November 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM
It has been a while, but I am ready to finally take the cheap Strat plunge. I have a $10.00 coupon and am headed to my local Guitar Center to hunt down a cheap Strat. I am not coming home until I find one. Here are my options:

It has to be less than $200.00 out the door.

Squier Affinity Strat
Squier Standard Strat
Yamaha Pacifica (I really want a bridge single coil, but if the Pacifica speaks well, I'll jump on it)
Jay Turser Strat (they occasionally have these in stock)
Any Strat-like substitute < $200.00

Let me know if anyone has cheap suggestions on what might be offered in the store. I need to play the guitar before I buy it, so an online order is out of the question -- I am really picky with neck feel and body resonance.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this post in the past.

Spudman
November 24th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Hopefully you'll try some of the Vintage Modified Strats and not think twice about spending just a little more. You'll end up with a really nice axe.
The Affinities feel nice but don't stand the test of quality over time.

Robert
November 24th, 2007, 11:04 AM
For a bit more you can get a Fender Standard Made in Mexico. Much better guitar I think.

oldguy
November 24th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Hopefully you'll try some of the Vintage Modified Strats and not think twice about spending just a little more. You'll end up with a really nice axe.
The Affinities feel nice but don't stand the test of quality over time.

Ya, what he said.......
Remember, the thrill of a few dollars saved..... is quickly lost once the realization of poor quality sets in.......or something like that.:messedup:
Hope you find a nice one.:)

stingx
November 24th, 2007, 11:37 AM
If you don't find anything, I have an old Ibanez Roadstar II RS140 I was thinking of parting with.

http://www.stubble.org/temp/guitars/rs140_001.jpg

Three singles and a coil-split bucker.

Sblack
November 24th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I did a lot of comparison playing and was almost liking a used 2006 MIM Strat with a maple board. However, the MIM's neck was just not the right feel and roundness for my hand. I was eyeing a 2007 Bullet Strat (the new ones with the trem and basswod body). The Bullet actually sounded more "hot" and Strat-like, and the neck and frets were much better than all four of the MIM standards I played, including the used MIM w/maple that was marked $319.00. Hands down, the Bullet felt better and sounded hotter and rounder than the Squier Standards, Affinities, and MIM Standards. I will give a more thorough review in the upcoming days. I have attached pictures of the new Strat.

$99.00 minus $10.00 coupon = $89.00

Color: Brown Sunburst

Body: Basswood, slim profile (42mm)

Neck: Maple

Fingerboard: Rosewood 9.5" radius (241mm)

Frets: 21 Medium-jumbo

Scale length: 25.5" (648mm)

Width at nut: 1.650" (42mm)

Hardware: Chrome

Machine heads: Covered tuners

Bridge: 6-screw tremolo with six block saddles

Pickguard: 1-ply white

Pickups: 3 Single-coil Strat pickups

Pickup switching: 5-position blade

Controls: Master volume, tone 1, tone 2

Strings: FENDER® Super 250L, (.009 to .042)

oldguy
November 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Congrats on the new axe! I love that brown sunburst, nice!:)
I used to prefer maple fretboards, but I've found rosewood to be nice after playing on it for some time now. I always keep rosewood lemon-oiled thoroughly, it really seems to make it work for me.

pes_laul
November 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I'll defer to Robert or another SX Strat owner on that one, but I can tell you that I've played a couple of Affinity Strats and found them to be cheap & flimsy feeling. Didn't like the necks at all, and the thin profile body made it feel like a toy to me. If you go with a Squier Strat, I'd strongly recommend saving another $50 and getting one of the "standard" models. Just one man's opinion....

BTW, I still have a heckuva deal (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=2659) available on a Squier Tele! Didn't get it posted on eBay yet....
really? I know my squire affinity strat plays and sounds pretty good (though it was made in the late 80's)