PDA

View Full Version : Springsteen - Hammersmith Odeon London '75

sunvalleylaw
March 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Anyone else catch this on PBS? tot's thread on Neil's Massey Hall release, coupled with the topic of historical vid on youtube, made me think of it. Tons of telecaster love going on. The lighting on this video is somewhat dim, but it makes for some cool viewing and makes you feel like you are at the concert. I think it is a good example of Springsteen and the E-street band, way before the whole "Born in the USA" thing.

Check out some audio clips here:

http://www.amazon.com/Hammersmith-Odeon-London-Springsteen-Street/dp/B000E97X66

Also, here is a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwBGSS63B2o

Watching the whole thing is a lot better, I intend to buy the vid.

Spudman
March 14th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Man! Backstreets is really great. I haven't really heard much of Bruce outside of the big hits. This cut was simply divine. What a talent. Thanks for posting this one.

sunvalleylaw
December 26th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Received the Born to Run 30th Anniversary box set, including the DVD of this show for Christmas today. It also includes a re-mastered copy of the Born to Run studio album, a "Making of" DVD, and a booklet. I haven't gone through it all, but the DVD is excellent and well worth it, even if you didn't get the rest. Highly recommended! Bossfan, you have this one?

R_of_G
December 26th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Got the anniv edition when it came out a few years ago. The concert dvd is the main reason since I already owned the album (I even still have my vinyl copy). That dvd shows not only what a remarkable talent Bruce is, but how exceptionally tight that band is. As highly regarded as they are, I still think they are underrated because they are such an incredible live act.

evenkeel
December 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Love this concert video. And R_of_G is spot on, tight, tight, tight band. :bravo: :bravo:

Plus, you gotta love the clothes, at least those the band is wearing. Platform shoes, huge lapels, pimp hats. Bruce, looks like he rolled out of the gutter. :D :D

sunvalleylaw
December 30th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Yeah, that rasta hairbag hippy hat Bruce is wearing is classic, and very different then the later images of the Boss. I have been reading the booklet that came with the set, and although I remembered hearing this when I saw this concert DVD and some of the "making of" DVD on PBS when it aired some time ago, I had forgotten that Little Steven (VanZandt) did not play guitar much if at all on the studio "Born to Run" Album. He helped out with arrangements and setting up the horns mostly. Yet he is all over this concert and I think really adds to the show. His strat and Bruce's tele give some really nice sounds.

It is also interesting to know that the "Born to Run" Album was mostly composed on a piano, as it gave Bruce the arrangements he wanted for writing, although it started with the opening lick from the song "Born to Run", which Bruce came up with sitting on his bed playing guitar. I find that interesting because when I got into this album, I was often drawn to music that was piano influenced.

And I agree with R_of_G too, the band is super tight and right on. Just watch "Backstreets" above, and maybe find the link to "Jungleland" to just to see.

sunvalleylaw
August 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM
BktOzc8m93U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktOzc8m93U

I was re-watching this vid tonight in a window on my computer as I worked doing some case reserach, and ran across this piece I had not paid that much attention to before. Bruce plays more guitar on this one than most or maybe all I have seen and the dual he gets into with Little Stevens starting at around 3:30 is very fun. Cool to hear the different tones coming from the more fluid sounding strat (almost Dire Straits tone) and Bruce's more edgy/biting tele.

This concert DVD is so worth watching whether you are a Springsteen fan or not. :AOK: :AOK: