PDA

View Full Version : Gig last night - opening for Trooper

Robert
March 15th, 2007, 07:42 AM
It was fun! Guess what I played through? A Marshall Super Lead 100w! That's what the Trooper guy was using. Surprisingly enough, we were allowed to use their gear. :D

Man, my Squier Tele sounded insanely good through that amp! That amp was somethin else... fantasticko..... dynamic and the tones just exploded out of the amp. Even though it was a Marshall, I got a very SRV-ish tone.

Anyway, we had a good 30 minutes playing, and then we watched Trooper for a bit.

Tone2TheBone
March 15th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Dude some of Stevie's best tones were from his Marshalls. Congratulations. Sounds like you had fun. Now did someone take any pics?

Robert
March 15th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Yes, we have pics! I have them at home, I'll post them after lunch!

I want that amp..... wonder how much an old Plexi Super Lead 100 costs? Well, I just looked on eBay and a '72 model goes for a BIN price of $2,200.

Tone2TheBone
March 15th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Yes, we have pics! I have them at home, I'll post them after lunch!

I want that amp..... wonder how much an old Plexi Super Lead 100 costs? Well, I just looked on eBay and a '72 model goes for a BIN price of $2,200.

You only live forever Rob just buy it. :)

6STRINGS 9LIVES
March 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM
hA ha Robert .. theres no gas like vintage gas ...trooper are great fun did production for them a few times .. Ray is a helluva nice guy , who else was with him this time .. here for a good time never fails to sell lottsa beer . Thats cool hope you enjoyed your evening.

SuperSwede
March 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Those old super leads are awesome, and you always can tell when someone play on a marshall, the sound can cut through anything and you dont need to play very loud to be heard. A friend of mine had a "blues breaker" plexi that were awesome, especially when playing Jimi stuff.

Robert
March 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Here are photos - http://picasaweb.google.com/robert.renman/TrooperGig2007

:)

t_ross33
March 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Oh man, that looks like it was awesome, Rob! I know what you mean about playing thru some big arse amp. I felt the same way plugging into a Mesa triple rectifier and 2x12 cab at an open jam last summer!!

How was Trooper? How was the crowd? Any road stories? Can I have your autograph? :D Not many guitar slingers can make a Squier Tele look (and sound) so cool!

Trev

Sblack
March 16th, 2007, 05:30 AM
This may seem off the cuff, but I think that Squier Tele looks incredible on stage and under the lights. I have my eye on one exactly like yours, and now that I see it glow under the lights in those pics, I am having terrible GAS.

The Marshall was fun to play through, I am sure. But that kind of GAS is unattainable in my realm.

Nice pics and story.

Spudman
March 16th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Sblack
I checked out your "messing around" videos. Great stuff. Good demo of the Line 6 and your playing is very nice and fluid. Are you gigging?

Lev
March 16th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Looks like alot of fun - that drum kit looked pretty cool too!

Sblack - I too checked you out on youtube and was mighty impressed with the tones you're getting from that Spider!

Plank_Spanker
March 16th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Excellent, Robert! :DR

Robert
March 16th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys, I wrote up some more over on my blog on my website www.dolphinstreet.com/blog/

Trooper sounded powerful. Their music isn't my cup of tea, but they were very professional. I have to say I think I had much better tone than Trooper's guitarist - he added a bunch of chorus, reverb and delay which, in my ears, destroyed that sweet Marshall tone. To each his own, I guess.

warren0728
March 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I have to say I think I had much better tone than Trooper's guitarist
uh oh.... :D :DR

sounds like a cool time....

ww

Tone2TheBone
March 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
SBlack - man that Ibanez sounded cool when you toggled the pot. Sweet dude. Good playin' too. *thumbs up*

Sblack
March 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the positive words on the You Tube stuff, guys. I am currently not gigging, but am a huge advocate of GFS pickups and Line 6 Spider amps. I am getting a Spider III 30 and will post some tones demos when I get a chance.

Back to the focus of this post -- Robert's gig. I looked harder at that Marshall. That looks like an original 1960's head -- no repro there. Wow! The tone was probably electrifying (pun intended).:D

Robert
March 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Yes, the tone was electrifying alright! What an amp. If I had one, I would drive everyone from the house, cause it needs to be played loud.

SuperSwede
March 16th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Sblack, is the display on the Spider III the same size as the one on the PodXT? The tone is really much convincing than the older Spider II (which is the only Spider that I have tried yet).

Robert
March 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Maybe start a new thread about the Line 6 Spider III?

Justaguyin_nc
March 16th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Great pictures Rob.. that Spider III looks just like the Marshalls!! ya sure it wasn't one? :) Justa.... Kidding...

You looked great on stage.. the whole group... would have enjoyed to listen... what no tape recorder?

Justaguyin_nc
March 16th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Rob, the blog page seems a little messed to me...

Robert
March 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Whoa, what is going on? My page looks fine to me - what browser are you using - is it still messed up?

Sblack
March 16th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I just tried to read the Trooper gig blog at Dolphinstreet.com, too, and the page was showing some funky HTML code. I am using Internet Explorer 7.

sunvalleylaw
March 16th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I loaded it once earlier (using this thread's link), and it showed blank except the first line, then linked to it off the blog links on the left side, and it pulled up fine. I was using Safari.

P.S. I just did the exact same thing tonight on my older powerbook using Safari, with the exact same results. In case that helps. . .

ted s
March 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
seems ok here ....................

Robert
March 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Oh, I see - I had an issue on the blog home page. Fixed now. Sorry guys.

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Robert - Back to the Plexi. We know how great of a guitar player you are that's for certain...but I bet you that Marshall "made" you play even better didn't it. Did you happen to have a spiritual experience onstage while playing through that mighty amph? Tell us more about what you felt...what you heard. I was disapointed that you didn't post those flying bra pics of hot babes flinging them at you while you slayed with the manly Marshall. :D

Robert
March 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Hey Tone, I had promised the ladies not to publish those photos, sorry to disappoint... :)

Well the amph... I didn't know what gear would be available, and when I saw it, I immediately thought "Holy *badword* - I get to play an old Plexi! I have never played an amp like that before.

I was eager to plug in of course, and when I struck a chord with my cheap Squier Tele, heavenly tones just exploded behind me. I could have just played that one chord all night, without a band even, and I would have been happy.

When we started playing, I was amazed at how my guitar just totally dominated our whole sound. I played loud, granted, but it was such a "huge" sound, (I don't mean volume-wise) that I felt much "bigger" than I am, if that makes sense.

A few times in my solos I just hit that one note and dug in. What a feeling.

Definitely a divine tone moment for me. I wanted that amp so badly after our show was over.

Tone2TheBone
March 20th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Hey Tone, I had promised the ladies not to publish those photos, sorry to disappoint... :)

Well the amph... I didn't know what gear would be available, and when I saw it, I immediately thought "Holy *badword* - I get to play an old Plexi! I have never played an amp like that before.

I was eager to plug in of course, and when I struck a chord with my cheap Squier Tele, heavenly tones just exploded behind me. I could have just played that one chord all night, without a band even, and I would have been happy.

When we started playing, I was amazed at how my guitar just totally dominated our whole sound. I played loud, granted, but it was such a "huge" sound, (I don't mean volume-wise) that I felt much "bigger" than I am, if that makes sense.

A few times in my solos I just hit that one note and dug in. What a feeling.

Definitely a divine tone moment for me. I wanted that amp so badly after our show was over.

I know the exact meaning of your explanation when you describe the BIG tone. A huge sound that engulfs you, the entire stage and beyond. Herein lies the magic that Marshall delivers...and deliver it did in Vintage style. If ever there was a way to describe this feeling to someone...this was it. I would have loved to have been in the audience or on the side of the stage that night! :DR