PDA

View Full Version : Godin

Robert
September 25th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I tried a Godin with P90's, I think it was called LG SP90 or something. It sounded very sweet. Godins are nice guitars. I would like a guitar with P90s. What you think of the Godin? I wish it had a maple neck. Any other cheap but good P90 guitars?

EscalonJon
September 26th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Robert, That is the Godin model I have. Mine is red transparent with S/D P90s. I love the sound of mine through a tube amp. Very mellow and bluesy. The wood is beautiful. Godins are made with such quality and care. Very tasteful. I don't know how they can make such nice instruments for the price, but they do. I also replaced the P90s in my Agile gold-top with S/Ds, along with a Tone Pros bridge, aluminum tail piece, Alpha switches/vintage wiring, and Grover Kluson style tuners. That would satisfy your LP and P90 Jones. You would about $550.00 invested with the mods and I think you would really be happy with it. (I sound like an Agile salesman, don't I?)

Robert
October 2nd, 2005, 02:00 PM
Nice Jon, that Godin sounds great. I think I remember I'd prefer a different neck profile, otherwise it would have been the perfect guitar for me.

You are starting to stir things up in the G.A.S department over to Dolphinstreet Studios with all this talk about Agile guitars....

Bigbear
October 18th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I actually own a Godin Radiator.... its an absolutely awesome guitar... Godins are actually abundant in Canada and they sell like hotcakes... they don't offer much selection in guitars but they offer what your looking for... Mine has two very vintage soundin single coils and seperate volume and a master tone... its absolutely crazy... i can get from Blues to Country Twang... to Funk to anything with tweaking.

Robert if your looking for a good slide guitar... glass or steel works great on this one... real bluesy sounds

Hophead
November 6th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Personally I'd stay away from Godins. Just my opinion though.

marnold
November 6th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Didn't Godin battle Godzilla? :)

Robert
November 6th, 2005, 05:45 PM

Why would you stay away from Godins?

Nelskie
November 6th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Robert - I used to have a Squier Telecaster Custom II w/ P-90's, and it really rocked. Although there were some QC issues with the guitar, once I had it set up properly, and put some decent tuning machines on it, it played pretty nice. Very similar to the Squier Standard Teles, only with a slightly fatter neck. The pick-ups were pretty good, too - Duncan-Designed models. I believe that guitar was $230 US, which is a pretty good deal. It has a cool 1970's retro look to it with the over-sized pickguard.

Hamer is another company that offers a pretty nice P-90 equipped guitar. Theirs is a double-cutaway body design, with a gold-top finish similar to a Les Paul. I've seen those around the $300 US range, and quality-wise, they're certainly a big step up from the Squier. I presently have a Hamer SATF double-cutaway, with a flame maple top. It's a solidly built guitar that sounds great, and plays wonderfully. The Hamer is sort of like a cross between a PRS (neck) and a Les Paul (body & sustain).

If you wanna' drop some ca$h on a really good one, G & L has a soap-bar type guitar too, which I think is in the $650 range. Quality through and through with G & L.

r_a_smith3530
February 5th, 2006, 02:07 AM

I can't speak for the Godin electric line, but Godin also makes Seagull acoustics, and if the electrics are anything like these, then they must be pretty decent. I previously owned a spruce top S6, and I'd still own it today if it weren't a dreadnaught. Last night I installed a Fishman pickup in my best friend's cedar top S6, and he used it on stage tonight. It sounded great.

The quality seems to be there, so I am not sure why you're making this statement Hophead.

SuperSwede
February 5th, 2006, 02:13 AM
My experience with Godin electric guitars is that they are of very high quality

Tim
February 5th, 2006, 12:16 PM
My S6 acoustic is a Godin. It is a very well made guitar. I am very please with it. Mt only problem is I need to play it more than I am. I am showing preference to my Squire tele. When it’s time to change strings on the S6, I may try the Elixirs as did Tone.

Hey Tone – How them Elixirs making out? It’s been a couple months now since you put them on you acoustic.

tot_Ou_tard
April 5th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Hey now! Looky what I dug up on the fret about Godins. With all the Canadians here I shouldn't doubt it. Robert et al, any more to say about the Godin LG-P90? I have drooled over that one for a long time.

Tone2TheBone
April 5th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Tim - The Elixirs are in my opinion the best I've ever tried. They still sound brand new. Play brand new. Only bummer is now I've heard Guitar Center isn't going to be selling them anymore. I'll have to order them online I guess.