PDA

View Full Version : new to the wah pedal...

Leonidas
March 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Hey guys, I have had my crybaby classic w/ fasel inductor for a little while now, and have had a blast playing with it.

I have a few questions for you more experienced guys out there, though..

First off, is it normal for the wah effect to be killed with the drive up pretty high? I can't seem to get a good wah tone with a lot of amp distortion. Is there some trick to this? I did try putting my boss DS-1 in front of the wah, and that seems to work a little better.. but it gives a different sound all-together.

I am using it with my Vox ad50vt. On the cleaner amp settings it seems to work pretty well, like the fender channels. But If i turn up the gain on, say the marshall models, the wah effect loses its sweeping effect, and almost sounds like an on-off.

Any suggestions guys? or is this just normal?

I don't think theres somthing wrong with the pedal, because it sounds awesome clean....

Spudman
March 16th, 2007, 07:55 PM
That's normal. Most high gain settings don't allow much change in the wah effect. However, it still will work as a tone shift device in those circumstances. Think Michael Schenker.

Leonidas
March 18th, 2007, 09:43 AM
thanks spud!

...just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Another question.. where in the effect chain is the preferred place for the wah? I've heard first thing out of your guitar, and thats how I've been using it, although I've experimented with distortion before it. How did people like SRV and hendrix (imo some of the best sounding wah users) use em? In an effects loop?

Spudman
March 18th, 2007, 10:17 AM
There really is no set place for the wah, but for me I have always found that I get the most consistent performance from putting it first or before any distortion or compression effects. I think the majority of players that use a wah will have theirs placed in the same spot.

If you have an extra distortion box by all means try putting it before the wah. There may be times that you want that sound.

Some really interesting sounds can be had by moving effects around. Mostly you'll just end up with a unique one-off sound that you probably wont use often, but it could spice up a recording that is too predictable.

The most commonly accepted effect placement is: guitar>wah>compression>distortion>modulation>delay>amph

Leonidas
March 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks spudman,

Nothing totally new to me.. but great to be reaffirmed.

Thanks a ton

Robert
March 19th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I prefer having my Wah pedal after the distortion pedal - it usually sounds better that way to me. It may depend a bit on the distortion pedal used also.

tot_Ou_tard
March 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I have thought about getting a wah. Sounds like you are having fun Leonidas!

...my wife thanks you for the GAS.

Leonidas
March 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Robert, I agree, for higher gain, it definitely works better with the distortion box in front of the Wah. I guess its all a matter of taste. And whatever works.. it works! :)

Tot, haha, glad to be dishin out the GAS attacks :)

I have a lot of fun with my wah. It gives a really great sound. The crybaby with fasel inductor is definitely a thumbs up from me! I wasn't about to spend an ungodly amount of money on a reissue, but u know what, I think this model should be considered by anyone, regardless of price. I especially like that you can hook it up via a power adapter, which a lot of the reissues don't. It's also got true bypass. Either way, they are a ton of fun to play around with! I highly recommend checkin one out.