PDA

View Full Version : Line 6 Spider III 75 Display and Tones

Sblack
March 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I was fortunate enough to use a Line 6 Spider III 75 for a few weeks. While I had it, I recorded some clips and put them up on YouTube (you can see them in my link below). I was impressed with most of the sounds and questioned why some people were so skeptical of the Line 6 Spider amps. I did own a Spider II for a few years and loved it, but like most good gear I get, I always think there is some elusive tone out there I need to find. Therefore, I sold the Spider II 75, much to my regret. I am, however, getting a Spider II 30 tomorrow, hopefully, and will post a thorough review of it after some lengthy experimentation.

There was a question in another thread about the display LCD on a Spider III 75 in comparison to the display board on a PodXT. I deleted my response from there and posted it here.

I never had a PodXT, so I have no reference. However, the LCD on the Spider III 75 is small and not easy to read unless you are within 1-2 feet of it. The Spider III tones are slightly better (especially on the blues and rock tones) than the Spider II, but I still like my old Spider II and wish I would have kept it. The only thing I do not like about the Spider III 75 is the gimmicky "rock star" tones they promote. It sort of cheapens a very good amp. Most of the "400+" tones are unusable for me, but for others they may be very usable. The true magic of the Spider amps happens when you play around and dial in your sound. I have found some very inspiring tones with these amps.

Sblack
March 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM
It is strange replying to my own post, but I have had time to experiment with a Line 6 Spider III 30, the Spartan version of the Spider III series 1x12.

I wish it was all good news, but after a week with the amp, it went back. I liked a few of the tones I dialed in, but the overall EQ response was shallow and not anything near the big, thumping tones of the Spider III 75 (most likely due to the smaller cabinet design of the 30). I kept telling myself that this is the 30 watt version and not to expect the same performance as the Spider III 75. However, the lack of an independent reverb, difficult to dial out shrill highs, and harsh distortion on the Boogie model forced me to return it and aim for something different.

For my next choice, see my post on the Behringer GMX210.

Robert
March 26th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Interesting. Have you played any of the Vox Valvetronix amps? I wonder how you would rate the tones from, for example, the Vox AD50VT in comparison to the Spider III 75.

Personally, I have not played a Line 6 amp I liked, but I have not played them all.

Sblack
March 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Have you played any of the Vox Valvetronix amps? I wonder how you would rate the tones from, for example, the Vox AD50VT in comparison to the Spider III 75.

Personally, I have not played a Line 6 amp I liked, but I have not played them all.

I owned a Vox AD50VT and an AD30VT. After several weeks of trial, both went back to Guitar Center. I started with the AD30VT and was unhappy with the lack of bass response from the cabinet and speakers, so I upgraded to the 50. After using the AD50VT, I couldn't dial in a thick, chunky high gain tone that I liked. The speaker wouldn't "thump" the way I like. Once I experimented with the Line 6 Spider II and III 75, the bottom end and gain were what I liked. Keep in mind, I am primarily a metal head, so my preference for tone is gainy with plenty of mids and bottom end. The Vox AD series is more geared toward rock, blues, country and jazz -- to my ears, at least.